All about bicycles

Post Turkey Day ride from Friday. Was visiting family so brought the road bike and did the Palatka to St. Augustine State Trail in NE Florida. A nice rail trail in the countryside for the most part. Rode through forests and by farms until hitting the small city of Palatka and climbing the bridge over the St Johns River to take a break at a nice park.

Weather wasn't exactly nice. It was one of those days where it wasn't raining, but everything was wet. Tons of debris on the path. Temps were nice, so it was a great 44-mile round trip in the end.

I was hoping to be rewarded with nice views of the river, but I couldn't even see it while climbing the bridge. On the banks, the water and sky blended seamlessly. A case where even thought it wasn't nice, it was still nice, if you know what I mean.

pLVLldG.jpg

RSikqSw.jpg
Looks killer.

Just a quick ride to test the new Conti Ruban tires in snow and slippery conditions.
Only got stopped once on a short hill I was unprepared for due to lack of experience in the snow.

I was extremely impressed with how well the tires performed. Obviously if there were extended periods of snow/ice here I'd look at getting studded tires, but so far that's been unnecessary.

Just a quick ride to test the new Conti Ruban tires in snow and slippery conditions.
Only got stopped once on a short hill I was unprepared for due to lack of experience in the snow.

I was extremely impressed with how well the tires performed. Obviously if there were extended periods of snow/ice here I'd look at getting studded tires, but so far that's been unnecessary.

Looks like a fun ride.

Didn’t know you played sax.

The key driver for studs is riding on a trail that gets heavily packed and when the thaw freeze cycle starts becomes a virtual glacier.

If you consider NJ northern, the answer is No. I got in two 40 mile rides this week with start time temps at 31F with real feel temps at 24F. I’ll continue to ride in the cold, but not the wet. Cold/numb hands are my Achilles’ heel.

I think everyone else in this thread is a northerner by my standards. When I lived in Atlanta, I'd ride in those temps too, as long as it was bone dry. I wouldn't take any chances with ice.

Back