All about bicycles

The Wahoo is great, but try to get out on the the real bike and train too. My better half tried to do all of her training on the wahoo for the Leadville 100MB last year since we moved to Austin, TX in late 2019 and the heat was killing her. She had her first DNF in 8 Leadville 100s (made it to pipeline just 2 minutes after cut off, 75 miles into the race). Might have been other mid 50 lady problems, but...

I trained 100% outside ( in crazy south TX heat) for the for the SBT Gravel race this year, and I feel the heat and humidity made me stronger. I beat my goal time by 30 minutes, and ended up pulling for 3 people trying to get their PB. BTW, SBT Gravel is an awesome race and I plan to do it again. Helps we are moving back to Denver in 2 weeks.

Great point, for sure gotta train for the environment. Luckily (or not) my trainer is set up in a non-insulated garage, so being Florida, heat and humidity is in plentiful supply. I figure if I can train in that hot-ass garage, I can handle anything. I did a 2-hour session yesterday and was sweating buckets even at 8-9 AM. Didn't help it was one of our hottest days of the year around here. It hit 96+ degrees in the afternoon.

I get out in the real world at least one weekend day. Riding through and enjoying the outdoors is what it's really about. It's important to work with the imperfect conditions like road surfaces and wind, too. Had a great 90-minute endurance ride today at one the wilderness parks.

Congrats on your SBT success. It feels good to feel good! I'm so used to low elevation, I bet riding out there would wipe me out.

Heading out for a Tour de Delta/Ladner...

There's that dang pub under the bridge again!

Hugging the river...

Across the river from that cement plant I had to detour around last week...

Not sure what that thing is, but I used it to prop up my bike. Deas Island Park...

Old machine meets new...

Burr house https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM943Z_Burr_House_Delta_BC

Millenium trail...

Heading under the highway that leads to the Deas Island tunnel...

Now entering Ladner...

First bicycle radar speed indicator I've seen... It's accurate too...

Ladner shops...

Here's a church from 1891. It's still running services and day care...

Stopped for some water at Watershed park heading home and met 4 more emtb riders. Three Treks and a Liv.

Even though I had gone 40kms with 70% battery left, the last 5 kms of hills brought that rate down. Still the average I expect which is not bad...

Great point, for sure gotta train for the environment. Luckily (or not) my trainer is set up in a non-insulated garage, so being Florida, heat and humidity is in plentiful supply. I figure if I can train in that hot-ass garage, I can handle anything. I did a 2-hour session yesterday and was sweating buckets even at 8-9 AM. Didn't help it was one of our hottest days of the year around here. It hit 96+ degrees in the afternoon.

I get out in the real world at least one weekend day. Riding through and enjoying the outdoors is what it's really about. It's important to work with the imperfect conditions like road surfaces and wind, too. Had a great 90-minute endurance ride today at one the wilderness parks.

Congrats on your SBT success. It feels good to feel good! I'm so used to low elevation, I bet riding out there would wipe me out.
Two hours on the trainer in extreme heat. I have a number of friends who are psychiatrists/psychologists. I can send you their contact info. lol Hats off to your training dedication.

Two hours on the trainer in extreme heat. I have a number of friends who are psychiatrists/psychologists. I can send you their contact info. lol Hats off to your training dedication.

It wasn't the original plan, but watching a movie made the time go by a lot faster. I was supposed to do the harder two-hour ride outside on a nice mixed surface loop yesterday and today's 90 min easy ride on the trainer (while watching a movie).

However, I noticed this on the drive side seat stay of my gravel bike while giving it some TLC on Friday afternoon:

iBGWG2r.jpg

Warranty claim submitted (and already replied to, Fezzari's service is great). Hopefully it won't take too long to resolve. This is a definite kink in my training plan!

It wasn't the original plan, but watching a movie made the time go by a lot faster. I was supposed to do the harder two-hour ride outside on a nice mixed surface loop yesterday and today's 90 min easy ride on the trainer (while watching a movie).

However, I noticed this on the drive side seat stay of my gravel bike while giving it some TLC on Friday afternoon:

iBGWG2r.jpg

Warranty claim submitted (and already replied to, Fezzari's service is great). Hopefully it won't take too long to resolve. This is a definite kink in my training plan!
I've seen paint/filler cracks, but that is certainly more!

iBGWG2r.jpg

I used to hate seeing that on my BMX bikes.

Forgot you are in FL, that definitely qualifies for heat and humidity training. :p
Oh and speaking of SBT and training, Manon from GCN did the event and they did a feature about it. Going to watch it this afternoon. They always produce great content for this sort of thing.

Thanks, I have to check this out.

iBGWG2r.jpg

Ouch, hope they get you fixed up.

Welp, Fezzari will be sending me out a new frame within the next couple days. They have a lifetime frame warranty (I've only had the bike 6 months, anyway), which is one reason I went with them. When the new one comes, they want me to send the original back. I'm an innovator; they said I'm the first one to break a seat stay so they want to investigate. They've only been producing this frame for about a year, but they tested to cross country mountain bike standards.

Already started stripping down the frame to get ready to move the components over. Time to buy a couple more tools and learn a couple new skills! One thing I love about bikes is they are simple to work on. I haven't done anything with hydraulic brakes yet, so I'm going to have a go at trimming the lines and bleeding the system.

Also taking this opportunity to size down on the frame. I was pretty much at the short limit of the Medium, so I should end up with a better fit in the end.

Welp, Fezzari will be sending me out a new frame within the next couple days. They have a lifetime frame warranty (I've only had the bike 6 months, anyway), which is one reason I went with them. When the new one comes, they want me to send the original back. I'm an innovator; they said I'm the first one to break a seat stay so they want to investigate. They've only been producing this frame for about a year, but they tested to cross country mountain bike standards.

Already started stripping down the frame to get ready to move the components over. Time to buy a couple more tools and learn a couple new skills! One thing I love about bikes is they are simple to work on. I haven't done anything with hydraulic brakes yet, so I'm going to have a go at trimming the lines and bleeding the system.

Also taking this opportunity to size down on the frame. I was pretty much at the short limit of the Medium, so I should end up with a better fit in the end.
Great news.
Nice to see other companies providing excellent service/support.

Well I just bit the bullet on some Continental Ruban tires. Went for the 29x2.3 variant as that was closest to the 29x2.4 Rekons I have on now.

They are supposedly fast rolling on pavement with nice knobbies for grip in dirt. Should be great SUV/all rounders.
Should be here in a week or so. Can't wait to try them out.
Tubeless of course...

Well I just bit the bullet on some Continental Ruban tires. Went for the 29x2.3 variant as that was closest to the 29x2.4 Rekons I have on now.

They are supposedly fast rolling on pavement with nice knobbies for grip in dirt. Should be great SUV/all rounders.
Should be here in a week or so. Can't wait to try them out.
Tubeless of course...
put on your big boy pants and get some tube tires!

Back