All about bicycles

I have a dream to bike pack. I live close to one end of the Katy Trail, the longest recreational rail trail in the US at 240 miles/390 km. In this an omen even though I don't have a bike? I think I would like an e bike and have been doing some research. Now I think I want a motorcycle as well. Something like a dual-sport or adventure bike so I can hit some trails.

I have a dream to bike pack. I live close to one end of the Katy Trail, the longest recreational rail trail in the US at 240 miles/390 km. In this an omen even though I don't have a bike? I think I would like an e bike and have been doing some research. Now I think I want a motorcycle as well. Something like a dual-sport or adventure bike so I can hit some trails.
I've never tried bike packing. Sounds interesting.

Good stuff.
I’ll ride Katy Trail with you. It’s been recommended by a few cyclists I know. Heck, come stay at my place and pay Canadian $ for a decent ebike and I’ll warm you up on some of my local trails. Most have a brewery or cider on them.

The Katy trail is on our short list as we continue to ride the country state by state. It knocks out two needed states for us. The only downside is we like to see and experience the states we ride. The KT would only be a technical check off of our list. I guess we could divert, but that just wouldn’t be the same as cycling into a town. Silly, I know.

Good stuff.
I’ll ride Katy Trail with you. It’s been recommended by a few cyclists I know. Heck, come stay at my place and pay Canadian $ for a decent ebike and I’ll warm you up on some of my local trails. Most have a brewery or cider on them.
Katy Trail Terror Tour after some local trail Canadian adventures? I'm in. I really want to drop some pounds first. I was motivated as of earlier this week and am taking action. Now I am ultra motivated. Thanks, man!

The Katy trail is on our short list as we continue to ride the country state by state. It knocks out two needed states for us. The only downside is we like to see and experience the states we ride. The KT would only be a technical check off of our list. I guess we could divert, but that just wouldn’t be the same as cycling into a town. Silly, I know.
There are quite a few little towns along the trail if I'm not mistaken. You can jump off pretty easily and do the small town thing. Not sure if that checks your box or not and you probably already knew that given your riding experience now I'm thinking after I typed it.

The western leg of my recent riding adventures.

If you get to your hotel early, you have time to switch from gravel to road mode. This bike stayed out west so I can travel lighter in the future.
CK_713HotelBikeSwitcheroo.JPG

The most challenging ride I had planned was in an area with no cell service, so I travelled with a satellite tracker. It sent my location every 10 minutes so the few people who cared could tell if I fell in a ditch or got attacked by a bear. Yes, I also carried bear bangers and flares.
CK_718GreenspeedInReach.JPG

One of my favourite rides in the Calgary area is out to Bragg Creek. One of the fast riders was running late, so I took a 6 minute head start. I thought I might be able to stay away for 20km. When I made that mark I paused for a photo. This false flat is a gentle 1-2% uphill for most of 20km.
CK_719ToBraggCreek.JPG

When you have a bunch of bikes, sometimes you need to be creative about how to keep them out of the way. My daughter's most used bikes get space in the living room. Road bike on the left. Track bike on the right - not a lot of women sprinters in the area, so she races with the men - cadence of 160+ will let her stay away.
CK_720CalgaryBikeWall.JPG

and a custom made bike, with geometry not quite right for 60 km/hr
CK_780BikeAboveCupboards.JPEG

Back home, I have a bit more space so the bikes can spread out. In case you're interested, from the left
high racer
daughter's Ontario road bike
my mountain bike
my road bike (SWorks Tarmac)
my cross bike
my fixie (gold track bars currently in the rafters)
guest mountain bike
race trike under cover on the floor
CK_671BikeWall2022.JPG

Some of the bikes have been around for a while, like this 80s mountain bike that refuses to wear out
CK_790VinnieRearDetail.JPG

It's still great for less technical riding, and I can stop at the best coffee shop on the trail because nobody wants to steal a 40 year old bike
CK_814BikeRideMetropolis.JPG

Every once in a while, I drag another recumbent from town to town.
My bike on the left, his on the right. We followed one rail trail north 30km or so and then wandered around town to find the next trail, which runs another 70km. There is a third trail that I haven't found yet that loops back for about a 200km gravel ride.
CK_806RichardRecumbentsAtCooch.JPG

Most of July, I spent on the fast bike. The seat will recline more, but this is about as low as I can put it and still see what is coming at an intersection.
CK_847BassoJacksonPoint.JPG

Back