All about bicycles

Yesterday I went off to Tynehead park on the greenway again. It's about a 30km round trip.
About 5kms in I didn't see some glass on the road and as both tires ran over it you could hear the loud smash/smash. UGH!
Stopped on a side street to inspect both tires and... nothing! Phew! Was thinking I'd need to get some use out of the Stan's Dart, and the Fumpa pump.
Anyway... good ride but my hips and knees are barking at me by the time I get back.

Better make sure your brakes work on the final descent to the park. Sharp turn at the bottom!

Yesterday I went off to Tynehead park on the greenway again. It's about a 30km round trip.
About 5kms in I didn't see some glass on the road and as both tires ran over it you could hear the loud smash/smash. UGH!
Stopped on a side street to inspect both tires and... nothing! Phew! Was thinking I'd need to get some use out of the Stan's Dart, and the Fumpa pump.
Anyway... good ride but my hips and knees are barking at me by the time I get back.

Better make sure your brakes work on the final descent to the park. Sharp turn at the bottom!

More nice views, Dave!

I went adventuring yesterday. Wasn't the plan, but it had its rewards. I headed to one of the preserves where I usually ride, which is county land, but it was closed with no explanation. Sigh. The nearest alternative is the state park that ate my derailleur back in September. Conditions in these places can change wildly throughout the year, so I headed over there and gave it another shot.

Rode everything from pavement to gravel, dirt, grass, and sand. The best part was finding several miles of single track carved through dense scrub. This would be misery on a hot and sunny day, but yesterday was 50F, 90% humidity, mild breezes from the north, and dense clouds with occasional mist. Pictures can't do justice to the sight and feeling of being miles into an open expanse of natural landscape.

w8s4ZQ6.jpg

More nice views, Dave!

I went adventuring yesterday. Wasn't the plan, but it had its rewards. I headed to one of the preserves where I usually ride, which is county land, but it was closed with no explanation. Sigh. The nearest alternative is the state park that ate my derailleur back in September. Conditions in these places can change wildly throughout the year, so I headed over there and gave it another shot.

Rode everything from pavement to gravel, dirt, grass, and sand. The best part was finding several miles of single track carved through dense scrub. This would be misery on a hot and sunny day, but yesterday was 50F, 90% humidity, mild breezes from the north, and dense clouds with occasional mist. Pictures can't do justice to the sight and feeling of being miles into an open expanse of natural landscape.

w8s4ZQ6.jpg
Curious as to where this is? Great pic BTW...

Finally got a chance to go for a ride with my son on his new ebike. He bought a Giant Talon E+ 29er in XL.
Did a little over 36kms down to Mud Bay and out that trail almost half way and back.
Fabulous weather, around 8 or 9C this afternoon.

Great looking ride and the weather for it too.

Gorgeous views! How's the wind out there? I imagine it could get pretty brutal at times.
Dead calm on that ride, but...
Yes, it can get windy for sure.
One day I headed out from the parking lot and had a headwind the whole way. Very noticeable!
About halfway I said enough of this, took a rest at a golf course for a few minutes.
Just enough time for the wind to shift, and you guessed it... Headwind all the way back!:mad::D:p

I had myself a nice bicycle day on Sunday!

Temps in the upper 50's, solid gray skies. Kind of dreary for Florida, but I think it's some of the best cycling weather. You can get in a lot of riding without having to drink buckets of water to stay alive. Did one of my regular paved routes on the steel machine. 44 miles, consisting of about 35 on dedicated bike paths plus a loop around the quiet Venice Island. There are miles of beach, so I always make a stop somewhere along the gulf. It was actually a very nice beach day; wished I had a blanket to lay on.

ogyqACFh.jpg

I got home and before I could settle in, I got a knock on the door. It was FedEx (on SUNDAY?!) delivering my new gravel bike a day early. Late last year I decided to go full modern for my gravel rig. Progressive geometry. Electronic shifting. Carbon everywhere! It's pretty much the antithesis of my road bike above.

My new Fezzari Shafer Pro:

7ZCBGAth.jpg

Temps in the upper 50's, solid gray skies. Kind of dreary for Florida, but I think it's some of the best cycling weather. You can get in a lot of riding without having to drink buckets of water to stay alive. Did one of my regular paved routes on the steel machine. 44 miles, consisting of about 35 on dedicated bike paths plus a loop around the quiet Venice Island. There are miles of beach, so I always make a stop somewhere along the gulf. It was actually a very nice beach day; wished I had a blanket to lay on.

ogyqACFh.jpg

I got home and before I could settle in, I got a knock on the door. It was FedEx (on SUNDAY?!) delivering my new gravel bike a day early. Late last year I decided to go full modern for my gravel rig. Progressive geometry. Electronic shifting. Carbon everywhere! It's pretty much the antithesis of my road bike above.

7ZCBGAth.jpg
Awesome ride... and... um... awesome ride!!!
Man your new one is super clean! That wireless shifting is cool indeed! Congrats!

ogyqACFh.jpg

7ZCBGAth.jpg

Beautiful bikes Garrett, congratulations.

Awesome ride... and... um... awesome ride!!!
Man your new one is super clean! That wireless shifting is cool indeed! Congrats!

I was trying to work out why the gravel bike didn’t look right, no cables! Well not not right, but you know what I mean, different, I meant different.

Hey I had a bad night last night, so forgive my poor word choice.

Stunning bikes though.

Beautiful bikes Garrett, congratulations.

I was trying to work out why the gravel bike didn’t look right, no cables! Well not not right, but you know what I mean, different, I meant different.

Hey I had a bad night last night, so forgive my poor word choice.

Stunning bikes though.

No worries, I know what you meant. I love the cable-free look and the electronic shifting is effortless. Feels like I'm piloting an F1 car; left paddle to downshift, right paddle to upshift. The derailleur is a bit large and weighty, so it will be interesting to see how much smaller and lighter they become in future generations.

The brake lines feed through the top of the head tube, which will complicate replacing the upper headset bearings, but that should be quite a long while.

Back