All about bicycles

My last ride of August. 41 miles of mostly "gravel" with a little bit of road mixed in. I think it's a great showcase of what interior Florida has to offer.

After a little bit of road, a section of sketchy, swampy gravel in Carlton Reserve.
3Wxqqveh.jpg

Which opens up to a beautiful power line road that runs for miles.
W62dxGoh.jpg

Just beyond here it got super muddy and wet for a bit. It seems any summer gravel ride lands me bottom bracket deep in water at some point.
6PXl8w8h.jpg

Then it was through a park and onto some country neighborhood streets for a bit. After that, the route opens up on this "road" in Walton Ranch Preserve.
5wlYBGch.jpg

Which has some amazing sections of sub-tropical forest...
1Gk2Gtvh.jpg

Found the cows (it's an active ranch) and an epic tree.
bMO6wznh.jpg

cUMam1Vh.jpg

From there, it's mostly just riding back the way you came. Thankfully, I had a nice tailwind on the way back so I felt like I was flying. The sun finally came out and the heat really kicked in. Three bottles and four 2 oz SIS gels (which are mostly water) really wasn't enough for this outing, even with the clouds. Looking forward to doing this ride again when the weather cools off a bit.

If you don't come back covered in sand and dirt, did you even gravel? :p

f0mHGbhh.jpg

Great pics and a fine pair of legs.;)

I am currently staring up at the beautiful natural scenery of Zion National Park on day 6 of cycling The Utah Mountains and National Parks. The weather and riding have been fantastic. Three hundred miles over 5 days with vast amounts of climbing at altitude. The landscape is perhaps the finest of our cycling 32 States and 3 countries. Hopefully I’ll be able to retrieve (from my wife) pics to post at a later date.

My last ride of August. 41 miles of mostly "gravel" with a little bit of road mixed in. I think it's a great showcase of what interior Florida has to offer.

After a little bit of road, a section of sketchy, swampy gravel in Carlton Reserve.
3Wxqqveh.jpg

Which opens up to a beautiful power line road that runs for miles.
W62dxGoh.jpg

Just beyond here it got super muddy and wet for a bit. It seems any summer gravel ride lands me bottom bracket deep in water at some point.
6PXl8w8h.jpg

Then it was through a park and onto some country neighborhood streets for a bit. After that, the route opens up on this "road" in Walton Ranch Preserve.
5wlYBGch.jpg

Which has some amazing sections of sub-tropical forest...
1Gk2Gtvh.jpg

Found the cows (it's an active ranch) and an epic tree.
bMO6wznh.jpg

cUMam1Vh.jpg

From there, it's mostly just riding back the way you came. Thankfully, I had a nice tailwind on the way back so I felt like I was flying. The sun finally came out and the heat really kicked in. Three bottles and four 2 oz SIS gels (which are mostly water) really wasn't enough for this outing, even with the clouds. Looking forward to doing this ride again when the weather cools off a bit.

If you don't come back covered in sand and dirt, did you even gravel? :p

f0mHGbhl.jpg
What, no gators????

I am currently staring up at the beautiful natural scenery of Zion National Park on day 6 of cycling The Utah Mountains and National Parks. The weather and riding have been fantastic. Three hundred miles over 5 days with vast amounts of climbing at altitude. The landscape is perhaps the finest of our cycling 32 States and 3 countries. Hopefully I’ll be able to retrieve (from my wife) pics to post at a later date.
Go Tiboy!!!

Notice anything missing?

o6COIGzh.jpg

Don't know what caused it, but the derailleur suddenly twisted all the way around and sheared off, breaking a spoke while it was at it. Mechanical skills sure are good to have on the trail. I broke, shortened, and then rejoined the chain so I could ride back to the car single-speed. Would've been a 5-mile walk otherwise.

oQU2oZ8h.jpg

Notice anything missing?

o6COIGzh.jpg

Don't know what caused it, but the derailleur suddenly twisted all the way around and sheared off, breaking a spoke while it was at it. Mechanical skills sure are good to have on the trail. I broke, shortened, and then rejoined the chain so I could ride back to the car single-speed. Would've been a 5-mile walk otherwise.

oQU2oZ8h.jpg
Bummer, but nicely done sir!

Notice anything missing?

o6COIGzh.jpg

oQU2oZ8h.jpg
Unbelievable! Never had that happen, or heard of it happening for that matter!! Awesome that you had a chain tool (or did you Magyver shorten the chain)!!! Congrats on your ingenuity and making it home safe!!!! A story for the ages!

Notice anything missing?

o6COIGzh.jpg

oQU2oZ8h.jpg
The sucks! Nice MacGyver job, though

Unbelievable! Never had that happen, or heard of it happening for that matter!! Awesome that you had a chain tool (or did you Magyver shorten the chain)!!! Congrats on your ingenuity and making it home safe!!!! A story for the ages!

Yeah not sure if I caught some grass or a vine and locked it up, or if I hit something. I was on a very over-grown, rough, pig-ravaged section of trail, heard a SNAP and skidded to a sudden stop.

It's a good thing I'm enough of a nerd that I researched must-have gravel riding items and saw several recommendations to carry a multi-tool with chain breaker. Also a good thing I'm enough of a DIYer to know how to use a chain breaker.

This crankbrothers jobbie showed its worth for sure!

301154_10280_L2.jpg

Notice anything missing?

o6COIGzh.jpg

oQU2oZ8h.jpg

Same thing happened on my road bike a few years ago. I wasn’t as well prepared as you and had to call my pit crew!

I still have the mangled derailleur somewhere. I will photo it. Mine happened because the chain snapped and mangled up at speed. I was lucky I managed to stay upright!

Yeah not sure if I caught some grass or a vine and locked it up, or if I hit something. I was on a very over-grown, rough, pig-ravaged section of trail, heard a SNAP and skidded to a sudden stop.

It's a good thing I'm enough of a nerd that I researched must-have gravel riding items and saw several recommendations to carry a multi-tool with chain breaker. Also a good thing I'm enough of a DIYer to know how to use a chain breaker.

301154_10280_L2.jpg

That looks like the ticket!

301154_10280_L2.jpg
Yeah, that's the multi-tool I carry as well. Good choice.

301154_10280_L2.jpg
Ugh, the pigs. They have been tearing up our lawn for the past 2 years now, creating huge ruts in the grass. The riding mower is feeling like bumper cars as I bounce over this stuff these days. Filling ruts in does no good as they are back that night to tear it up again. I slammed my head against that wall for a few months before I gave up. Once again, congrats on using all available tools (including the bit between your ears) and being prepared with the ones you needed! Happy ending!!!

301154_10280_L2.jpg
I have one of those.

Nice job. Since I lack skill, my multi-tool is an iPhone with pre-programmed numbers for Mrs., Uber and AAA who will transport you and bike up to 10 miles.

Make no mistake, I always ride with my phone handy.
That said I'm willing to give a repair the old college try... mostly...

Oh my phone was handy, but it does no good without signal. There ain't no Uber drivers out yonder in the sticks anyhow. I do have AAA, though I hadn't even thought about that, so thanks!

Ugh, the pigs. They have been tearing up our lawn for the past 2 years now, creating huge ruts in the grass. The riding mower is feeling like bumper cars as I bounce over this stuff these days. Filling ruts in does no good as they are back that night to tear it up again. I slammed my head against that wall for a few months before I gave up. Once again, congrats on using all available tools (including the bit between your ears) and being prepared with the ones you needed! Happy ending!!!

They are a scourge!

Back