All about bicycles

I finally got my bike back on Sunday! Then it snowed again Monday and Tuesday, and I had to do other things. Yesterday it was warm, sunny, and I had some free time, so I headed to a nearby rail-trail. Started down it and saw it was still covered in ice, with a few deep slushy parts. I went on it for a bit but turned back after skidding around. Spent some time along the clear part of the path and large parking lot to make sure everything was working properly. I considered trying out one of the dirt trails that allow mountain bikes, but they're very wet and muddy. (I'm okay with getting muddy, but I don't want to damage the trails).

So I'm still waiting for the first long ride since mid-December.

I wanted a Gates Carbon belt drive on my new ride so bad. Alas, it wasn't an option.
I would overpay for a Gates drive. I met a local guy on the trail who cut his stay to fit the belt. It was pretty slick, with a stealth sleeve to slide over the gap. We swapped bikes for a stretch and it was a glorious drive.

I wanted a Gates Carbon belt drive on my new ride so bad. Alas, it wasn't an option.

Looking at it again. I've got an Ibis hardtail with a removable rear triangle that can take a belt. When I got it, I was at the upper weight and torque limit of the operating range. I've lost almost 25 lbs this last year, so I'm back in the sweet spot. It's time to do it again!

I was able to get in a 19-mile ride on Wednesday, and a 23-mile ride yesterday. Yesterday's ride really made me aware that the exercise bike didn't keep me quite where I was at. Anyway, both were on paved rail trails with my hardtail; MTB paths are still far too wet.

I was able to get in a 19-mile ride on Wednesday, and a 23-mile ride yesterday. Yesterday's ride really made me aware that the exercise bike didn't keep me quite where I was at. Anyway, both were on paved rail trails with my hardtail; MTB paths are still far too wet.
I went for a ride at lunch yesterday and dumped my bike on pavement... My ribs landed on the left handlebar. Ugh that hurt.
No way did I think I'd be riding again today. Got lucky methinks.

I went for a ride at lunch yesterday and dumped my bike on pavement... My ribs landed on the left handlebar. Ugh that hurt.
No way did I think I'd be riding again today. Got lucky methinks.
Ouch. Glad nothing was damaged, by the sound of it, and you were able to ride again today.

I've only taken a couple of spills since returning to riding last year, both at slow speed. One was on a path by a lake shortly after getting the bike. I slowed to turn around as a few people were hiking ahead, got uncomfortably close to slipping down the hill into the lake, and tipped over. A woman fishing was very amused.

The other was testing my bike after replacing the tires, riding on the gravel road by the house. Tried turning around on a hill and lost it. My hip hurt for a few days--and I was aware how much less "padding" I have there now--but I was okay.

I think having a dropper post kept me upright a few times, as I could get my feet down quickly, especially when I first restarted and on snow and ice.

Ouch. Glad nothing was damaged, by the sound of it, and you were able to ride again today.

I've only taken a couple of spills since returning to riding last year, both at slow speed. One was on a path by a lake shortly after getting the bike. I slowed to turn around as a few people were hiking ahead, got uncomfortably close to slipping down the hill into the lake, and tipped over. A woman fishing was very amused.

The other was testing my bike after replacing the tires, riding on the gravel road by the house. Tried turning around on a hill and lost it. My hip hurt for a few days--and I was aware how much less "padding" I have there now--but I was okay.

I think having a dropper post kept me upright a few times, as I could get my feet down quickly, especially when I first restarted and on snow and ice.
Ego injury!:D
I'm considering a dropper. I like the seat height, but at a stop it's just a tad high.

Ego injury!:D
I'm considering a dropper. I like the seat height, but at a stop it's just a tad high.
I'm using it more than I thought I would, maybe even too much, instead of getting better at stopping without using it. The gravel bikes I'm considering don't have droppers, which makes me wonder if I'll have trouble.

My mountain bike is an XL frame with 29" wheels, so I feel pretty high up, especially the few times I tried stopping and starting without using the dropper. (I'm 6'2" but apparently have fairly long legs). Over the summer I heard a small child yell, "Wow. That bike is HUGE!"

Back