All about bicycles

Too lazy to post pictures.

Currently riding :
a vintage StumpJumper with Jones bars and a Brooks B17
2005 Specialized Roubaix with Brooks B17 for centuries
Catrike 700 Recumbent Trike

I gave the Surly Long Haul Trucker to my son. I rode it down the Oregon Coast Route solo in 2011.
In 2013 I crashed the StumpJumper and was laid up for a month with multiple broken ribs, vertebrae, broken collarbone, collapsed lung, road rash, Staples. It was a doozy as they say. I gave the Surly to Jr. and got the Catrike. My balance was wonky on a two wheeler and my shoulders didn’t like being leaned on,

I gave the Surly Long Haul Trucker to my son. I rode it down the Oregon Coast Route solo in 2011.
In 2013 I crashed the StumpJumper and was laid up for a month with multiple broken ribs, vertebrae, broken collarbone, collapsed lung, road rash, Staples. It was a doozy as they say. I gave the Surly to Jr. and got the Catrike. My balance was wonky on a two wheeler and my shoulders didn’t like being leaned on,
Sorry to hear about that crash. I've never been hurt nearly that badly.

But, interesting to see I'm not the only one here with a trike. Here is mine at the end of the highest climb I've done, the day before the road was opened to cars for the year.
CK_32GreenspeedAtTop.JPG

Too lazy to post pictures.

Currently riding :
a vintage StumpJumper with Jones bars and a Brooks B17
2005 Specialized Roubaix with Brooks B17 for centuries

Ouch!

The where are you thread made me think I should share a typical bike ride. Today, scenes from the eastern hills.
The Wall Of Doom. Its hard to express how intimidating this is in a photo. It isn't especially long, but as you approach, no matter how sunny it is, the hill is in shadow.
CK_WallOfDoom.JPG

Once you get over this, you see that you aren't finished climbing yet.
You get a bit better sense of the climb from here. The hill ahead is longer, but not as steep as the Wall of Doom.
One side of the Wall has a 24% grade.
CK_FromWallOfDoomSouth.JPG

This is a view back to my house. Basically there is no flat. At the top of the photo, you can see that there is another big climb to come.
All of this is on the Oak Ridge Moraine. You basically go up and down between 220m and 340m. Nothing especially long. Just lots of steep bits.
CK_TopOfMoraineToAurora.JPG

Guitars AND bikes? Please don't tell me there's a coffee thread, too, or I may never get any work done.

I ride a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Here's the stock photo, but I've upgraded the wheels (carbon), saddle, and a few other things.

2ed80d804b60d8d6e84f60568eddeee0.jpg

Rode crits and roads as a Cat 3 30+ years ago when there were only four categories, and used an old Trek tourer loaded with bags to ride around the state and country to camp. Sold off all of my road bikes 10-or-so years ago for my Surly Long Haul Trucker, which I gave to my nephew last year and bought a Giant Momentum town bike with racks and fenders. Now, Ms. Nutz on her purple Townie and I frequently hit the extensive trail network with friends for some casual 25-30 milers, packing a lunch and maybe a couple of beverages. Going out tomorrow as a matter of fact ...

I have a full suspension electric mountain bike with a Yamaha PWX motor. I take it on rail trails all over the northeast. Pretty much always riding by myself, trips usually are 40-60 miles total. With some ortlieb panniers, a wonderboom speaker, and a large can of bear spray (just in case!), I am at peace with the world.

I have a full suspension electric mountain bike with a Yamaha PWX motor. I take it on rail trails all over the northeast. Pretty much always riding by myself, trips usually are 40-60 miles total. With some ortlieb panniers, a wonderboom speaker, and a large can of bear spray (just in case!), I am at peace with the world.
Cool!
Got pics of your steed?:cool:

Rode out to Tynehead park. On the way saw this purple Lambo...

Hit some trails...

Then some greenway...

At Tynehead the bike said it needed a rest...

Haven't been out much in June... more like Juneuary... Out of shape. Hopefully the weather stays nice.
Purple Lambo, for the win! For our 1st Anniversary my wife got me a ride in a Countach. Man, that was a great afternoon!

Purple Lambo, for the win! For our 1st Anniversary my wife got me a ride in a Countach. Man, that was a great afternoon!
My wife waited 20 years before saying she’d buy me a Lamborghini (with my money). I kept my Z instead and bought a bunch of guitars...and I still have money left.

I have 1 bicycle, a plain old Cannondale hybrid
that I bought literally a quarter of a century ago.
I ride it on the streets of NYC.
Guess what.
It still works perfectly.
It's still fast enough.
It's still comfortable.
It's still fun to ride.

:)

I've also got a Cannondale hybrid. I bought it while living in NYC - and used to ride it all the time (around Central Park, around Manhattan perimeter, etc) - and then took it to London (rode it all over there) - and now I've got in the Philly suburbs. Took it to the shop last summer and the guy said "it has some wear but you've taken good care of it and it shows - it just needs a little tuneup."

Back