All about bicycles

As a PSA if anyone's e-bike shopping, I received a promotional e-mail from Trek that if you test ride one of their e-bikes before August 31st, they'll give you a scratch off ticket for a prize. I've not ridden a Trek nor an e-bike, but I might be too tempted if I do. I also got an e-mail saying thanks for taking a ride, so I wonder if the local Trek dealer clicked that I'd done it.

Anyway, I took an hour's ride this evening, although there's a bit of haze from the wildfires.

Looks like I am destined to die penniless...lol.
Went into my local bike shop looking for new tyres for my stealth bomber and came out with a new bike instead..oops.
Well he did cut me a good deal being a fellow 911 owner, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I must say its quite a revelation from the old Motobecane.
And its reflective yellow so hoping the myopic old gits down here in Florida might have a better chance of seeing me!
Oh...its also got a kick stand....;)
Can I call this my NBD?

Dig it and congratulations! I'm not sure I'd make it far biking in Florida with only one water bottle mount. I also like the color and stealth bell.

Grabbed a quick 20km after grocery shopping and mowing the lawn.
What am I saying... it took me 1h and 15min, Lol! Oh well... had to hit two shops whilst out.
Headed down to the river and just wandered aimlessly. Stopped and helped a fellow cyclist navigate getting onto the Alex Fraser Bridge from River Road.

Just past here there was an older guy standing up playing acoustic guitar. Didn't want to bother him with a picture...

Seaspan has a crap ton of barges in the area...

Almost home...

I didn't ride yesterday, as the smoke was very thick, and I spent much of the day taking my parents to doctors. But I went out a bit today, although there is still quite a bit of haze. Went to a park where it wasn't as bad but had to stop and take a photo while "Smoke on the Water" got stuck in my head.

Short video of the haze and water.

Obligatory bike photo.
6qdinFO.jpg

Another rambling ride on Canada Day with little care as to destination.
Started on a familiar route to Mud Bay.
I haven't seen the Nemesis puddle this low in over 3 years...

10km to the parking lot and a short sit down for water with Nuun tabs...

Then decided to head East on Colebrook Road which lands you at a local driving range...

From there a path North to join King George Hwy...

But not a fan of joining traffic for a few km...

Headed West on 68th Ave to escape the cars and tripped over this park I'd never seen.
My sick mind decided that whomever named the park won something but got caught cheating...

Then stopped at Newton Athletic Park to watch a few minutes of footy and finish my water...

Not quite 30... Ah well, battery is charging so maybe another ride after grocery shopping...

Headed West on 68th Ave to escape the cars and tripped over this park I'd never seen.
My sick mind decided that whomever named the park won something but got caught cheating...
>can we call it Lose park?
>I've got better idea!

o_O
P.S What's this Garmin btw? My old bike one stopped working last week, going to probably stop at the local outdoors shop to pick up a new one...

Last edited:
Today was a little warmer (25-27C) so I thought I'd try to stay close to water. The easy choice was down to River Road, heading West to Deas Island Park.
What I did not count on was a stiff headwind the whole way there. I had decided that I wanted to go for low assist levels/higher battery efficiency as opposed to the previous "fastest 40", but still try to keep the km/hr up.
Have been keeping an eye on the smoke forecast and figured today was going to be it for a while. https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

You can see it's just starting to hint of haze/smoke coming, looking to the NW...

End of the road into Deas Island Park...

This area is used a lot for water ski/rowing/kayak etc...

Heading out of the park, saw a cool car...

I don't think I've ever averaged 2km/battery percentage...

Heading back along a service road right beside Hwy 99. Super safe, but piles of traffic/noise...

This guy can't decide whether he likes chain drive or belt drive...

A spot of solace/shade and some water at... um... Watershed Park on the way home...

Almost 40, but not quite. Would not have beaten the previous anyway, but mission accomplished regarding higher km/battery consumption...

For the Fourth, I went to a Rail Trail a little further away for a 50K ride. Had the camera at a 15x time warp, but the battery ran out before the end. This is the Western Reserve Greenway and is almost comically straight. It also has markers about the Underground Railroad along the route, as the area was an important part of it.

For the Fourth, I went to a Rail Trail a little further away for a 50K ride. Had the camera at a 15x time warp, but the battery ran out before the end. This is the Western Reserve Greenway and is almost comically straight. It also has markers about the Underground Railroad along the route, as the area was an important part of it.

What a great ride! Good post!

Yesterday and today were shorter rides. Weather was excellent, just no time for a longer adventure.
I did 22km yesterday and 30km today, so a little over 50 this weekend is OK for me under the circumstances.
Also, I'm very happy with the new battery. Last week started at 99%. That was a 40km ride. Add that to yesterday and today and I've gone 92km with 37% left.
Most batteries I believe lose power rapidly at 20% and under, so to me getting tantamount to 100km out of a charge is stellar.
Stopped at a local park and watched the opening inning of a beer league slow pitch game. Looked like fun but the batting was a crap ton better than the fielding.

The Greenway was open and inviting. I ended up getting to be the 8th fastest on the segment to Tynehead Park on Strava...

Water break...

Heading home...

Time for a beer...

So a fun question. What songs do you sing--if only to yourself--when riding?

I don't use headphones when riding but will often sing. I've found Thelonious Monk tunes like "Well, You Needn't" work well for my cadence. And occasionally some BeBop. But occasionally "Push It" works in, as well as "Chugga Chugga Toot Toot Ding Ding Choo Choo."

And I often make up songs based on what I see. So I've developed a repertoire of tunes about hidden drives, squirrels, and "That horse has got problems."

Not having the best singing voice can become problematic, though. especially when I decide to go full voice when inside a tunnel. When the end of one came into view I saw a guy had stopped. I think I frightened him.

Back