All about bicycles

I looked at my Strava data for the ride. Top speed - 40.1 mph. I promise, I didn't get anywhere near 40 mph - on this trail, there isn't a cliff or drop-off high enough for me to reach that velocity, and I'm damn sure not reaching it by pedaling.

Okay, maybe if I try to beat a speeding truck at one of the points where the trail crosses the road, but again, the truck would have to be going at least 40 and I'd probably have to get stuck in the grille.
For a lesson in humility, I go to the track with my daughter's training group. They all consistently get to speeds faster than 40 mph on a loop of the track. My daughter is hunting down a top speed of 80 km/hr (about 50 mph) on flat. To do that, her legs are like hummingbird wings.

In 2006 I hit 58 mph on the Blue Ridge Parkway as part of the Bike Virginia ride. Nowadays I’m quite the fearful descender. Last down every descent. Mrs. Ti hit 50 mph on our last trip to New Mexico. She’s fearless on a downhill.
I used a lot of brake on the 17km descent I did last year, even with the road closed to traffic. I just don't want to wait out the healing process any more.
On straight shorter descents close to home I'll push a bit because downhill is my only chance of making it into top 10 on a Strava segment.

OK... Just got back from my first ride in 3 weeks!
Weather and opportunity here have been dismal indeed.
Yeah it was only 35kms but that is what I could pull off with a 30% chance of rain in the forecast and 6C temps when I left. So... off to the greenway and Tynehead Park with the added Northeast section/loop.

This incline is difficult to capture with a picture. It peaks at around 14/15% grade...

Alas poor BMX... we knew him well...

The heated gloves were needed on the way back.

One thing I definitely want to upgrade is my bike rack. On my current vehicle, it's always been a pain. I'd love to find something that I didn't have to bolt on each time but I could still take off easily. And that isn't outrageously priced. I found one for about $200 that seems to be a more secure setup than what I have now, but I'm not sure about the mount process.

One thing I definitely want to upgrade is my bike rack. On my current vehicle, it's always been a pain. I'd love to find something that I didn't have to bolt on each time but I could still take off easily. And that isn't outrageously priced. I found one for about $200 that seems to be a more secure setup than what I have now, but I'm not sure about the mount process.
Are you talkin' hitch mount or trunk?

I'm feeling a bit broken after yesterday's spin with some mates, one of which I'd not been out with for a few years.
Ended up doing 1600m of climbing. I'd not done that much in a single day since May last year, and I'm feeling it a bit this morning :/

I figured I might be lucky enough to get a couple of hours in before the rain.
No such luck as I was about 6km in when it started. Rats...
On my way back my front wheel got caught in a rut next to a sidewalk and I thought to myself Hey... this looks like a great place to go down.
So I did.
Spilled right across the sidewalk, this poor lady who saw the whole buffoonery says "OMG are you hurt?".
Just my pride my dear, just my pride...
I lied... my left elbow and knee are paying for the stupid. Should be even more evident tomorrow... :rolleyes:

I figured I might be lucky enough to get a couple of hours in before the rain.
No such luck as I was about 6km in when it started. Rats...
On my way back my front wheel got caught in a rut next to a sidewalk and I thought to myself Hey... this looks like a great place to go down.
So I did.
Spilled right across the sidewalk, this poor lady who saw the whole buffoonery says "OMG are you hurt?".
Just my pride my dear, just my pride...
I lied... my left elbow and knee are paying for the stupid. Should be even more evident tomorrow... :rolleyes:
Oops. My elbows and knees find reasons to complain far to often. Eventually I might go fat bike only just so nothing can upset my front wheel.

I know it’s expensive, but my Kuat rack is worth every penny. Easy on/off on the hitch and nice and light aluminum frame. Bikes load and unload quick, and it has a nice ‘tilt away’ feature that lets me open the back of the car even with bikes loaded onboard.

I've been looking at racks, too. I currently put my bike in the back of my car (with the back seats down, the bike's front wheel off and dropper post lowered), which works, but it's not doing either the bike nor car any favors. I use a painter's drop cloth and old blankets, but still.

I nearly bought a Sea Sucker, but spending $300 on a suction cup is tough to do. That and I figured I'd have to remove the thing at trailheads to keep it from getting stolen, and I'd still have to remove the front wheel.

I know it’s expensive, but my Kuat rack is worth every penny. Easy on/off on the hitch and nice and light aluminum frame. Bikes load and unload quick, and it has a nice ‘tilt away’ feature that lets me open the back of the car even with bikes loaded onboard.

Funny you mention Kuat. The wife and I were out last week, and I saw a car w/a hitch-mounted rack all folded up, and I said, "That looks like what I want!" So I half-followed them to the next light, and sure enough - Kuat.

I haven't been on my bike since early January. I went to head out last week only to discover my front tire had developed little cracks in the treads. So, back to the gym I went while I waited for a new tire to arrive.

This weekend, with my new tire on and 60 degree days in Northern Virginia (much warmer than normal), I was able to get in two solid days of riding! I've biked in the 20s, 60 is much more fun.

We'll be near 80 on Thursday.

Back