All about bicycles

Too cold even for me today. 4 degrees when I woke up this morning. Maybe tomorrow.
Same here, but that’s no surprise since I’m 20 minutes east of the Lehigh Valley. Since yesterday’s tomorrow is today I’ll ask, did you get out today? I got in a nice fast (for me) 37 miles as part of a group of 12 riders. Four of us are doing a hilly 51 tomorrow unless I bail because the other three are a tad stronger than I am. That’s depressing since the other three are at least 8 years older than me. Did I mention I probably enjoy too many daily cigars when I’m off the bike?

Bikepacking trip to nowhere on Saturday. Some friends are training for an overseas trip. I just tagged along to do some climbing. We got 3800 feet over a 68 mile loop out in the country north of Tampa.

48F at the start and a max of 77. Windy, but a great day out. My computer counted 12 climbs.

T6Fajwk.jpeg

siFJGug.jpeg

mcdJdHw.jpeg

Bikepacking trip to nowhere on Saturday. Some friends are training for an overseas trip. I just tagged along to do some climbing. We got 3800 feet over a 68 mile loop out in the country north of Tampa.

48F at the start and a max of 77. Windy, but a great day out. My computer counted 12 climbs.

T6Fajwk.jpeg

siFJGug.jpeg

mcdJdHw.jpeg
I did not know Florida even had 3800 feet to climb ;~)) Looks like a good time!

Debating what bike to take to the beach next month.
The recumbent I’ve taken for a few years is too cumbersome to take up 4 flights of stairs.
Candidates: neon 12 speed rigid mountain bike, gold fixie (even the seat is gold), race bike (5 generations old SWorks)
I’d go mountain bike for three reasons. One, neon is more visible which may help you to be noticed by drivers distracted by looking at the ocean. Two, although the bike is rigid, it will allow you more flexibility and therefore more terrain options. Three, sooner or later some hot shot on a fancy Parlee race bike is going to blow by you with an air of arrogance, whereupon you will blow his doors off causing him to rethink his entire life. You will have made him/her a more humble person going forward.

A gold bike will attract gold diggers. That’s only acceptable if you are in reality Dean Martin. The gold saddle may lead some to believe you are the goose who lay the golden egg making you a target for abduction. Plus, since you’re on vacation you might just want to cruise which you can’t do on a fixie.

You are on vacation. So not even your S should be forced to work.

Debating what bike to take to the beach next month.
The recumbent I’ve taken for a few years is too cumbersome to take up 4 flights of stairs.
Candidates: neon 12 speed rigid mountain bike, gold fixie (even the seat is gold), race bike (5 generations old SWorks)
When at the ocean, I only take a fixie. All those miles of flat road are ideal for the breed, with your only obstacle being the headwind in one direction. Put your head down and spin, or ease back to a slow, sauntering turn, it's the perfect ride for the sea level coastline.

When at the ocean, I only take a fixie. All those miles of flat road are ideal for the breed, with your only obstacle being the headwind in one direction. Put your head down and spin, or ease back to a slow, sauntering turn, it's the perfect ride for the sea level coastline.
I have taken the fixie there before. It’s currently geared nicely for cruising, but might not be ideal for riding my age 10 times.

I put tires with negative treads on the mountain bike so it rolls pretty nicely, but can still do moderate off road. Particularly low tide damp sand.

Depends on the beach I guess, but I'd lean towards the MTB. Good for cruising boardwalks or bike paths. Decent on hard packed sand. You could even take in some gravel if there are any nature parks nearby.

The road bike could be fun if it's a less populated area where you can open up and ride along the coast.

Even with being a flatlander, I say having gears is always a good thing. :) One of these days I'm going to buy a new single speed to put my Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub on. That lower gear is very much appreciated in headwinds and the higher gear is great for taking advantage of tailwinds.

I'm really missing riding, as I've been off it for a couple weeks. It's in the upper 40s today, so I'd like to, but the trails are covered in the crushed, slippery, hard packed snow and ice.

In the meantime I've taken up trail running. Well, I'm not sure what I'm doing qualifies as "running." Maybe "glumphing."

But I got in a good amount of riding over the past year. I still only have one functional bike, my hardtail MTB, but it does everything. I was really wanting a gravel or endurance bike when they were impossible to find, but now that they are available, I'm questioning it.

Back