All about bicycles

Good to see some of us can ride outside now. We have a had some weird weather in the Denver area. Still a lot of snow and ice on the trail from the 13" of snow we got 3 on 12/28. Had about an inch a few days later. Normally we get snow and it gone in a coupe days and the trails are rideable a day or so later.

We have had highs in the 50s all week and 60 yesterday, and I still don't to get at in the nasty muddy slushy mess. Took this pic at one of the popular trial heads yesterday afternoon. Drove around the area and walked around some, still a ton of ice and mud when no ice. Been doing intervals on the trainer in the basement. Hoping to get outside to ride soon, but need y'all that can to keep posting pics so I can live vicariously through y'all. I saw a few cyclist out yesterday, mostly roadies and couple of really muddy gravel bikes.

Great pic. Love how the hills look blue (sorry Sergio).

The rain conveniently stopped again today, lucky me on a weekend.
A quick 23km blast down to the Mud Bay parking lot and back with a couple of detours.

Must have been the busiest I've seen the truck pullout/rest stop. Bumper to bumper...

The nemesis puddle is the longest and deepest I've seen as well...

Muckey Mouse on the way back...

Need better weather if I'm going to beat last year!

Some pics from bikepacking in the Ocala National Forest this weekend. Ended up with 60 miles day one and 47 miles day two. It is hard going out there.

It was a tale of two different days, for sure. Day one there was hardly a cloud in the sky. I registered 82 degrees at one point. There is precious little cover out there, so you feel every degree.
45tfAgN.jpg

A cold front came in Friday night, making Saturday cloudy and cool all day with rain coming in the afternoon. I only showed the temp getting to 61 max. We cut the planned mileage nearly in half to beat the rain and we're glad we did. Had just enough time to get back and enjoy a late lunch before the sky opened.
kkOa5Bj.jpg

Seemingly endless dirt roads.
LgymUXF.jpg

No real climbs, but a lot of undulating hills. Some of them got pretty punchy, hitting as much as 8% gradient a few times, which is steep by Florida standards. Often with varying levels of sand to contend with.
uA8sbpS.jpg

Yayy5Pz.jpg

Only grabbed one pic of the bike. I thought it was cool to have two different rigs side by side.
qmLG6KV.jpg

Some pics from bikepacking in the Ocala National Forest this weekend. Ended up with 60 miles day one and 47 miles day two. It is hard going out there.

It was a tale of two different days, for sure. Day one there was hardly a cloud in the sky. I registered 82 degrees at one point. There is precious little cover out there, so you feel every degree.
45tfAgN.jpg

A cold front came in Friday night, making Saturday cloudy and cool all day with rain coming in the afternoon. I only showed the temp getting to 61 max. We cut the planned mileage nearly in half to beat the rain and we're glad we did. Had just enough time to get back and enjoy a late lunch before the sky opened.
kkOa5Bj.jpg

LgymUXF.jpg

No real climbs, but a lot of undulating hills. Some of them got pretty punchy, hitting as much as 8% gradient a few times, which is steep by Florida standards. Often with varying levels of sand to contend with.
uA8sbpS.jpg

Yayy5Pz.jpg

Only grabbed one pic of the bike. I thought it was cool to have two different rigs side by side.
qmLG6KV.jpg
What a cool trip! Where did you stay/camp?

I'd ride the grass along the left.

Looks a tad damp.

45tfAgN.jpg

kkOa5Bj.jpg

LgymUXF.jpg

uA8sbpS.jpg

Yayy5Pz.jpg

qmLG6KV.jpg

Garrett that looks awesome!

It's pretty sloppy over there. I stayed hard right, but I'll check the left next time. :)

I’d be tempted to take the bank, but it’s probably steeper than it looks.

It's pretty sloppy over there. I stayed hard right, but I'll check the left next time. :)

Looks a tad damp.

Garrett that looks awesome!

I’d be tempted to take the bank, but it’s probably steeper than it looks.

I was concerned about pedal strike on the right, or going up the bank and slipping down into the puddle anyway. Just a little fun musing over the decisions we have to make on the path less travelled.

Yep it’s easy to make comments from a photo.

Different matter when the incline is in front of you.

Also I believe none of us have the folly of youth.

What a cool trip! Where did you stay/camp?

Thanks Dave.

We stayed at a place called Clearwater Lake Thursday. It's a beautiful and serene lake with camp sites along one side. You can put your kayak in directly from some of them. It is also the birthplace of the Florida Trail, which now runs most of the length of the state. Anyway, our cars, big tents, etc. stayed there.

On Friday we rolled out and our route took us north to Salt Springs, which has a great spring fed by the Floridan Aquifer and a big campground with river access.

Saturday, we rode back to start with the intent of staying one more night at Clearwater Lake, but the weather cramped those plans so everyone just headed home.

We were very lucky to have a friend who wasn't riding bring us lunch and dinner on Friday.

There are a lot of good campgrounds in the forest. It's a wonderful destination for nature lovers. The grounds are all consistent with hot showers that have strong water pressure. A real luxury out there!

Thanks Dave.

We stayed at a place called Clearwater Lake Thursday. It's a beautiful and serene lake with camp sites along one side. You can put your kayak in directly from some of them. It is also the birthplace of the Florida Trail, which now runs most of the length of the state. Anyway, our cars, big tents, etc. stayed there.

On Friday we rolled out and our route took us north to Salt Springs, which has a great spring fed by the Floridan Aquifer and a big campground with river access.

Saturday, we rode back to start with the intent of staying one more night at Clearwater Lake, but the weather cramped those plans so everyone just headed home.

We were very lucky to have a friend who wasn't riding bring us lunch and dinner on Friday.

There are a lot of good campgrounds in the forest. It's a wonderful destination for nature lovers. The grounds are all consistent with hot showers that have strong water pressure. A real luxury out there!
I just looked up Clearwater Lake, man that is gorgeous!

It was -24 out this morning, so I did a trainer ride to finish the Tour de Zwift. You can go pretty quick in a group of 2500. I also played Pebble Beach on a golf simulator. I think my life has become virtual...so I booked a beach house for next month - I hope it’s real.

But, when my ride uploaded, it declared my fitness age was 37. I can live with that.

It was -24 out this morning, so I did a trainer ride to finish the Tour de Zwift. You can go pretty quick in a group of 2500. I also played Pebble Beach on a golf simulator. I think my life has become virtual...so I booked a beach house for next month - I hope it’s real.

But, when my ride uploaded, it declared my fitness age was 37. I can live with that.

Nice Peter.

Holy smokes! And here I was just deciding what to wear for my "chilly" ride start temp of 50F/10C tomorrow morning. :p

Boy do you have me beat! When I finished my workout on the elliptical last night, my fitness age was "barely alive."
:eek:

Back