All about bicycles

For the past couple of decades I've done a memorial New Year's Day ride, but this year it was just too yucky outside. Oh well. Went for a long walk instead.

Some of my Strava Stats for 2022. Not too bad for an aging athlete. This is a combination of road and trails. I'm the one in orange.

196,000 vertical feet
5 KOMs
Top 10% on Strava
36 Local Legends
46 Personal Records
4,500 miles
IMG-0648.jpg

Last edited:
For the past couple of decades I've done a memorial New Year's Day ride, but this year it was just too yucky outside. Oh well. Went for a long walk instead.

Some of my Strava Stats for 2022. Not too bad for an aging athlete. This is a combination of road and trails.

196,000 vertical feet
5 KOMs
Top 10% on Strava
36 Local Legends
46 Personal Records
4,500 miles
IMG-0648.jpg
Nicely done sir!:cool:

Finally the rain stopped!
Two weeks in and first ride of 2023.
It was a shorty at 20kms but a welcome reintroduction for my hips and knees. Everything is soaked so I stayed on roads and headed out to Bear Creek Park just for something to do.

Two of the trails were dead ends as they have some construction going on.

Heading back, a local field had some soccer action going on...

Needed some "supplies" on the way home...

Now enjoying a bevvy and feel better that I finally got the first ride in. Even though it was short it's good to get started again.
Wondering if I can match/beat 2022 stats...

Finally the rain stopped!
Two weeks in and first ride of 2023.
It was a shorty at 20kms but a welcome reintroduction for my hips and knees. Everything is soaked so I stayed on roads and headed out to Bear Creek Park just for something to do.

Two of the trails were dead ends as they have some construction going on.

Heading back, a local field had some soccer action going on...

Needed some "supplies" on the way home..
Now enjoying a bevvy and feel better that I finally got the first ride in. Even though it was short it's good to get started again.
Wondering if I can match/beat 2022 stats...
I seem to be noticing a theme lately. Are these more “bike rides” or… “BEER RUNS?”

That looks like you're going to have some fun!
What's the weather outlook?

Luckily the cold front hit this weekend, so we should have good weather next weekend. We're looking at highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s (22/12 ish for the metrically inclined). We may get some rain on day 2 in the afternoon, but we'll see.

Contrast to this weekend when we've had near freezing temps at night and some brisk wind.

Luckily the cold front hit this weekend, so we should have good weather next weekend. We're looking at highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s (22/12 ish for the metrically inclined). We may get some rain on day 2 in the afternoon, but we'll see.

Contrast to this weekend when we've had near freezing temps at night and some brisk wind.
Ah good. Fingers crossed it pans out.

Good to see some of us can ride outside now. We have a had some weird weather in the Denver area. Still a lot of snow and ice on the trail from the 13" of snow we got 3 on 12/28. Had about an inch a few days later. Normally we get snow and it gone in a coupe days and the trails are rideable a day or so later.

We have had highs in the 50s all week and 60 yesterday, and I still don't to get at in the nasty muddy slushy mess. Took this pic at one of the popular trial heads yesterday afternoon. Drove around the area and walked around some, still a ton of ice and mud when no ice. Been doing intervals on the trainer in the basement. Hoping to get outside to ride soon, but need y'all that can to keep posting pics so I can live vicariously through y'all. I saw a few cyclist out yesterday, mostly roadies and couple of really muddy gravel bikes.

Good to see some of us can ride outside now. We have a had some weird weather in the Denver area. Still a lot of snow and ice on the trail from the 13" of snow we got 3 on 12/28. Had about an inch a few days later. Normally we get snow and it gone in a coupe days and the trails are rideable a day or so later.

We have had highs in the 50s all week and 60 yesterday, and I still don't to get at in the nasty muddy slushy mess. Took this pic at one of the popular trial heads yesterday afternoon. Drove around the area and walked around some, still a ton of ice and mud when no ice. Been doing intervals on the trainer in the basement. Hoping to get outside to ride soon, but need y'all that can to keep posting pics so I can live vicariously through y'all. I saw a few cyclist out yesterday, mostly roadies and couple of really muddy gravel bikes.

Like you we normally get a small amount of wet snow and then it's gone a couple of days later. This year we had two good sized dumps and it stuck around.
Then it started raining and yesterday was a first break on a weekend.
Because of that I avoided the trails as I know they'd be a total muddy mess, and that's just not all that much fun (for me).
Here's hoping you can dry out soon!

I will take the snow over the TX summer, which is from May to November south of Austin where we lived. Plus, I know what a normal winter in Denver is like. Moved back to CO Labor Day weekend 22, and got some great riding in until the big snow storm 3 weeks ago.

I finally remembered to stop and takes some ride pics that I have meant to post here. I tend to get focused on the ride/work out and I forget to take in the natural beauty along the way. I'm getting better at slowing or stopping and I'm actually enjoying the ride and the view more. I will get to posting those pics now that my life has slowed down a little bit. I was traveling every week from July til mid December last year. Oh, and throw a 1000 mile out of state move in the middle of that.

Back