All about bicycles

The builder sent me some progress shots of my new bike yesterday. Currently waiting on a last minute change in the front brake choice and should be finished Monday.

back to front. I'm going with the new wireless SRAM X range.
I don't have anything with this much range other than my 1x fat bike.
CK_BassoRearDeraileur.jpg

rear brake on the beefy rear end of the stick. No triangle so the end of the stick has to handle all of the force to the wheel.
CK_BassoRearBrake.jpg

front of the drive train. Yes the chainrings are farther apart than SRAM prefers for the X range
CK_BassoFrontDriveTrain.jpg

super simple controls - a thumb blip on each side to change gears. I'm not entirely sure if it is where I like my hands yet.
CK_BassoControls.jpg

The builder sent me some progress shots of my new bike yesterday. Currently waiting on a last minute change in the front brake choice and should be finished Monday.

back to front. I'm going with the new wireless SRAM X range.
I don't have anything with this much range other than my 1x fat bike.
CK_BassoRearDeraileur.jpg

rear brake on the beefy rear end of the stick. No triangle so the end of the stick has to handle all of the force to the wheel.
CK_BassoRearBrake.jpg

front of the drive train. Yes the chainrings are farther apart than SRAM prefers for the X range
CK_BassoFrontDriveTrain.jpg

super simple controls - a thumb blip on each side to change gears. I'm not entirely sure if it is where I like my hands yet.
CK_BassoControls.jpg

Very fancy. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

i have a Pinarello Radius that was contracted out to Dario Pegoretti to build. Just yesterday I was wondering what Dario was up to in 2020 and was sad to see that he passed in 2018. I hadn't even heard that.

UlHvxwY.jpg

I should treat it better and throw full Campy on there and a decent wheelset. Maybe someday.

Mountain bike is a Trek Fuel 8, which is out of commission. The XT rear derailleur just straight up exploded on me a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
We have bikes popping up in quite a few threads, so we must have something to talk about.
What you ride, where you ride, tours you might do, things you’re thinking.
I have two of these:

https://www.incycle.com/product/cervelo-rca-frameset-223023-1.htm

One frame has been built and as I have it, around the cost of a Dragon and almost 10lbs(want to go to 9lbs).

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20042462/the-pinarello-f8-is-now-up-to-40-off/

This is almost 12lbs.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-s-works-tarmac-ultralight/p/129254

Almost 11lbs.

Last edited:
I have two of these:

https://www.incycle.com/product/cervelo-rca-frameset-223023-1.htm

One frame has been built and as I have it, around $20k after taxes and almost 10lbs(want to go to 9lbs).

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20042462/the-pinarello-f8-is-now-up-to-40-off/

This is almost 12lbs.($13k new, I'm past that with mods).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-s-works-tarmac-ultralight/p/129254

Almost 11lbs. $12k as pictured(stock. I'm above that).
Damn those are light.
I don’t even know how you get a road bike to 9 lbs.

I think I owe you some different bikes from my 21 stage tour.
I thought it would be funny to take out my smallest and the biggest bikes. Mr Tiny is by far the easiest to travel with.
CK_4478BromptonAtFalls.JPG

The FatBoy is a go anywhere bike. I mostly ride it in the snow.
CK_4486FatBoyRogersCorner.JPG

The two together. Brompton folded for travel
CK_4476BromptonAndFatBoy.JPG

In case you're getting the wrong idea, not all my bikes are odd
CK_4484SmokieAtTrain.JPG

I showed this bike last week, but I liked this photo
CK_4492StradaChurch.JPG

My oldest recumbent. I only give it a token ride from time to time. Giving it away is harder than you think
CK_4503BikeELocks.JPG

and, finally, far and away the nimblest of my bikes. This sucker is go cart like.
CK_4529GreenspeedHillTop.JPG

My wife and I have done many miles biking the back roads of New Hampshire & Vermont. Nothing high tech - she has a Trek hybrid, I have a Diamondback hybrid. Not too many options for non hilly loops (we are both in our 70's), but there are some with 'tamer' hills. Beautiful, traffic free countryside. Cape Cod also has some wonderful bike trails, some along the sea. However our favorite bike excursions are north of the border in French speaking Quebec. There are literally hundreds of miles of beautiful bike trails in Quebec - many are perfectly flat, some are quite hilly and challenging. The Canadians really have their act together as far as bike trails - very well maintained, often paved, with picnic tables every few miles. The area is also sprinkled with some beautiful wineries for some post ride unwinding. Unfortunately can't cross the border this year with the whole covid thing!

Wanted to increase my ability to utilize 2 wheels for things like grocery shopping, so...
After some investigation I decided on a quick release rack/pannier system by Topeak.
The rack comes with a couple of choices of rubber grommets to fit variable seatpost sizes. My seatpost is 30.9 which needed the thinner rubber.

The pannier sides went on in a couple of minutes with a 4mm allen key...

The trunk bag is the Topeak MTX DXP. I was hoping to be able to leave the small trunk bag on but no deal. That's OK. Easy to put back on for dirt days.

Here's full pannier mode. 22.6L capacity should do the trick along with my backpack.

I think I'll just do the quick release thing at the grocery store and throw the whole thing in the cart instead of worrying about trying to lock it up. It's super light!

Went for a quick ride after install and it is solid as a rock. No rattle, no noise except for the handle on the bag flapping whilst going over bumps. That's easy to fix.

Very nice accessory - i might look into one.
On another note - anyone familiar with tandems? My wife and I were considering one but have heard lots of pros and cons.

Soon. It's being built. I'll post the whole story in 6-8 weeks. I'm so excited!
I’m excited for you.

My story should be ready to tell in 6-8 days. Shoes arrived Tuesday. Pedals from Italy, via Germany yesterday. Bike has been in transit the longest, but UPS finally got it from California to Illinois - still the wrong side of the border.

Back