All about bicycles

I think that is the best post I have seen in this bicycle thread! Lot's of fun stuff, like the cotter pin, the suicide help sign, the frucked up duck!! Great stuff Mr. D, thanks for sharing!! Be sure to call your attorneys and make clear who your guitars are going to before you open that yellow box in the last image (might not have been there this time, just sayin')!!!
I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that I'm a little nuts...:D

I guess I shouldn't leave all the photos to Dave.
These are from Feb/March. My daughter and I ditched winter to ride in the sun.
The roads can have a fair bit of sand on them, so best be moderately attentive.
CK_474PJupiterLittleWhiteChurch.JPG

Its always a good idea to know where to get extra fuel
CK_433PBikesJupiter.JPG

Even my daughter thought the selection was pretty good
CK_441EJupiterDisplay.JPG

I tried to escape with 3 pies
CK_445PGiroToMarketCommon.JPG

I assumed the "live full" meant I should eat all the pie
CK_235PInGiroMirror.JPG

I sold my Giant ebike this spring. Now I’m just riding this rascal, which is faster and more nimble. I’m all-smiles over warm weather returning! It was 80 here yesterday.

Why'd you give up on it? You seemed to really like it.

And I used to be one of those guys looking down at kickstands. Best addition I made. Maybe it’s an age thing.

My bike doesn't have a kickstand. Never really thought much about it after I bought it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to notice the extra weight!

And I used to be one of those guys looking down at kickstands. Best addition I made. Maybe it’s an age thing.
It's probably not age, it's more the "looking for something to lean your bike on that won't scratch it" thing. That's what I"m going with anyway. LOL My wife's kickstand broke and it drove her crazy last year. Every time we'd ride even at the campgrounds, she was looking for something to lean her bike on.

It's probably not age, it's more the "looking for something to lean your bike on that won't scratch it" thing. That's what I"m going with anyway. LOL My wife's kickstand broke and it drove her crazy last year. Every time we'd ride even at the campgrounds, she was looking for something to lean her bike on.
I've taken the kickstand off of every bike I have ever owned.

I've taken the kickstand off of every bike I have ever owned.
I'll have you know I've owned bicycles made by the finest names in the industry. I'm talking Schwinn and Huffy of course. And ALL of them had a kick stand. Good enough for a finely crafted machine like that... good enough for me! HAHAHAHA

Serious question: If you have an ebike, how do you know how much energy you've used on a ride? I have a phone app that estimates calaries burned, etc. So, if I do my "one hour at 15mph" thing, now I could do that easily with an ebike, but how do I know how much of a workout I really got in relation to my current bike? For example, I've mentioned before that just getting a "nicer road bike" would not do anything to help my "exercise level" because the easier it goes faster, the less I have to work. So I can go faster/futher without getting more workout. And I'm thinking an ebike will be that up another whole level. I might do 1 hour at 20mph with an ebike and use less energy if I understand correctly how they work.

I really think my plan now is find one for Amy, that will allow her to ride fast enough that I'm getting a workout on my old bike. If I can get a workout and she can keep up with me, then we're killing 2 birds with one stone. If we both get one, it will just take the workout out of it for me, won't it?

Serious question: If you have an ebike, how do you know how much energy you've used on a ride? I have a phone app that estimates calaries burned, etc. So, if I do my "one hour at 15mph" thing, now I could do that easily with an ebike, but how do I know how much of a workout I really got in relation to my current bike? For example, I've mentioned before that just getting a "nicer road bike" would not do anything to help my "exercise level" because the easier it goes faster, the less I have to work. So I can go faster/futher without getting more workout. And I'm thinking an ebike will be that up another whole level. I might do 1 hour at 20mph with an ebike and use less energy if I understand correctly how they work.

I really think my plan now is find one for Amy, that will allow her to ride fast enough that I'm getting a workout on my old bike. If I can get a workout and she can keep up with me, then we're killing 2 birds with one stone. If we both get one, it will just take the workout out of it for me, won't it?
Good question.
I haven't bothered with workout info, but my Garmin knows it's an ebike and could do those calcs I'm sure.
That said...
Ebikes are heavier than regular bikes for obvious reasons. You want a workout? No problem, keep it at the lowest power level or no assist at all.
Also they are limited to giving you assist up to a certain speed. Many will cease assisting you at 20mph (like mine), some assist up to 28mph then quit. After that you are on your own, and again on a heavier bike.
On top of that, on most ebikes you can manipulate the amount of assist given for each level. So in my case there are 5 levels of assist, but they can be adjusted to be more or less than the stock amount.

You riding an ebike with her would not give you a meaningful workout. Even with the assist off, you would do better to put a sack of rocks on your old bike.

As Dave noted, you can get as good a workout as you want riding an ebike on your own, or with somebody wanting to go fast and hard. I tested one riding in ‘charge’ it mode. I was interested in a model where I charged the bike up by riding and if I got tired, I could use the assist going home. If I didn’t get tired, I would just get a better workout. I would use a heart monitor to measure how much work I did, or power pedals to show how much power I delivered to the crank.

So, for now, I don’t need one. My goal would be that we could go on a bike ride that would be exercise for me, but she could keep up. I’ll keep my Giant and buy her one for now. I’ve been looking but like everything else, they seem to be in very low supply around here. I looked at 3 models in a price range I’d consider, and all 3 have been out of stock for over a month.

“Here Howie; hold this.”
Kickstand dilemma solved.

Last edited:
Back