All about bicycles

And, even with the assistance, if I thought it would get her out getting more exercise, I'd buy her something nicer without her approval. I should just buy her a nicer ebike and then buy me a nicer regular Giant and be done with it. IF she had the ebike, I could actually get exercise when we ride, instead of me just being in cruise mode. I'd be happy with that for now. Heck, just buy her an nice ebike and keep riding my old Giant.

What is a nice all around (not pure road necessarily because there are some mild trails where we camp) ebike for a petite lady?
Great question... and I fear that there is certainly subjectivity invovled.
For me, my last ebike was a Fathom which had front suspension, and hardtail. MTB for sure with seriously knobby tires. I went into the ebike thing thinking I'd be doing 60/40 road/trail. Great bike but I missed the rear suspension on my Norco MTB.
So... I bought the Stance and sold the Fathom to a workmate for a silly/low price.
I do not regret the change BUT... I do realize that I could have changed the tires to a more road friendly type (Johnny Watts, or eRuban), added a seatpost suspension and been dayum close to what I have now.
As a matter of fact, my workmate bought the suspension seatpost I was looking at and it's killer!
So... as I grow older I am probably more 70/30 Road/Dirt, and find myself with a cushy do anything ride, and I think it'll carry me well for a long time.
But that's just my boring story.
Your wife is a different kettle of fish, and I have no idea what is comfy, or sporty, or puts that sh!t @ssed grin on her face. Let me tell you though... ebikes put that grin on your face in spades... It's Superman/woman time!
If you guys/she is more road oriented, with some trail adventure in mind, then a gravel style might fit the bill. I am partial to suspension, but that is not necessary for all.
This Rove is a relatively inexpensive entry, and has a modicum of front suspension. The groupset will be entry/midgrade.

Then there's this one... another sort of upright.

But there are a veritable cornucopia of nice ebikes from all manufacturers now like Trek/Specialized/Cube etc. with motors by Brose/Bosch/Shimano/Yamaha (Giant). I chose Giant because there are a cr@p ton of dealers in NA, and the Yammy motor is great.
Top picks for me would be Bosch or Yamaha.
So take my confirmation bias with a grain of salt and look around.
For me good hydraulic brakes are a must because the bike is way heavier. Also a good drivetrain because the torque supplied by the motor wants to stretch your chain and eat your cassette if you are a sloppy shifter.
That Fastroad you mentioned would be a very cool choice as well.

Oh, and BTW... the Giant ebike app is not awesome. It allows for bike firmware updates, and to adjust the power available for each assist level you use. The rest of the app is worthless except to see your exact battery level.
Strava etc is better for tracking rides.

And, even with the assistance, if I thought it would get her out getting more exercise, I'd buy her something nicer without her approval. I should just buy her a nicer ebike and then buy me a nicer regular Giant and be done with it. IF she had the ebike, I could actually get exercise when we ride, instead of me just being in cruise mode. I'd be happy with that for now. Heck, just buy her an nice ebike and keep riding my old Giant.

What is a nice all around (not pure road necessarily because there are some mild trails where we camp) ebike for a petite lady?
I think Harley Davidson is doing a factory trike these days, but I don't know if they are offering an electric model! Worth looking into either way!! Then she could "challenge" you to keep up!!!

IF she had the ebike, I could actually get exercise when we ride, instead of me just being in cruise mode. I'd be happy with that for now. Heck, just buy her an nice ebike and keep riding my old Giant.

That's the ticket.
There are a ton of e bikes out there now. Both Specialized and Giant have a pretty wide range. Either will serve her. I would probably start with Giant women's subbrand Liv.

Another 30km ride to Tynehead and back. Haven't ridden in two weeks and felt it.

Always wanted to try a rider mower...

This doesn't look too good...

Destination achieved, and it started to spit a little rain...

What would a great Saturday be without walking your cat?

Good question... the gloves seem to be saying "I don't know".

Trying to beat the rain home... Success!

When we built our house 26 years ago my first purchase was a John Deere ride on lawn tractor. Sitting on the perch with a beer in the cup holder, a cigar clamped between my teeth and music through headphones was the perfect de-stresser from the daily grind. Now I sit in a lounge chair with a beer in hand, cigar in place and music from my iPad while I watch the landscapers. I guess retirement is less stressful. Nice pics Dave. Glad you’re back in the saddle.

When we built our house 26 years ago my first purchase was a John Deere ride on lawn tractor. Sitting on the perch with a beer in the cup holder, a cigar clamped between my teeth and music through headphones was the perfect de-stresser from the daily grind. Now I sit in a lounge chair with a beer in hand, cigar in place and music from my iPad while I watch the landscapers. I guess retirement is less stressful. Nice pics Dave. Glad you’re back in the saddle.

Cigars, you say.

Cigars, you say.

To the tune of 3/day. All in on Padron. The owner of my cigar shop/club is a fellow guitar player. He has, at last count, 47. There is a reason why cigars and guitars rhyme.

Heading over the Alex Fraser bridge...

Looking north at the apex with the North Shore mountains in the background...

Looking east up the south arm of the Fraser river...

This 6" cotter pin holds the bridge together...

Which one would you want to live in?

Can see the bridge peaks in the background...

What the duck are you doing in the middle of the road?

Was tired on the way back, but not that tired!

I’d take the white/grey house. I like the 2nd level wrap around deck

I think that is the best post I have seen in this bicycle thread! Lot's of fun stuff, like the cotter pin, the suicide help sign, the frucked up duck!! Great stuff Mr. D, thanks for sharing!! Be sure to call your attorneys and make clear who your guitars are going to before you open that yellow box in the last image (might not have been there this time, just sayin')!!!

Back