All about bicycles

We play rough here, Lola! :D:D We are a "pics or else" crowd. LOL

But it's nice to know I'm not the only one here rocking an old bike.

Here is my 30 year old Giant mountain bike. I was out on my 15 for an hour runs, and got caught by a rainstorm that came in 45 minutes before it was supposed too. I was 5 miles from home when the downpour hit. I'm completely soaked and there is water running out of my shoes. LOL

Important note: It has the essential kick stand! HAHAHAHAHA

5MXvHkm.jpg

"...rocking an old bike."
See post # 2 in the thread.

I had the day off yesterday, so went for a jaunt in one of my usual nature preserves. Our week of winter for the year is over, so it was 80 degrees out.

Saw a lot of wildlife in one little span along a power line road. A pair of turkeys, an otter, a hog, and a bunch of gators. The gators were out there enjoying their best lives, soaking up the sun.

6cOAYXxh.jpg

Kd93Av9h.jpg

Xe99Twoh.jpg

"...rocking an old bike."
See post # 2 in the thread.
Yes sir. Me too. I said way back in this thread, that I've told my wife I was getting a new nice road bike for years now, and have never done it.

I love to ride, but I ride for exercise more than pleasure. So if I get a nice road bike, it would be much smoother and faster... but wouldn't be any more exercise. That is the sole reason I've held off on buying one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir. Me too. I said way back in this thread, that I've told my wife I was getting a new nice road bike for years now, and have never done it.

I love to ride, but I ride for exercise more than pleasure. So if I get a nice road bike, it would be must smoother and faster... but wouldn't be any more exercise. That is the sole reason I've held off on buying one.

As the famous quote attributed to Greg LeMond says, "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

As the famous quote attributed to Greg LeMond says, "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
I’m slightly afraid that I’ve reached the point where it doesn’t get easier, and I’m slower.

Or maybe I’ve just gotten lazy. I’ll let you know after I get my next 200km in...this week.

I’m slightly afraid that I’ve reached the point where it doesn’t get easier, and I’m slower.

Or maybe I’ve just gotten lazy. I’ll let you know after I get my next 200km in...this week.

I don't think you qualify as lazy if you're still knocking out the big distances! I did 79 miles of mixed surfaces with a group this Sunday. My longest ride ever, by one mile. My goal is to do a century this year.

I don't think you qualify as lazy if you're still knocking out the big distances! I did 79 miles of mixed surfaces with a group this Sunday. My longest ride ever, by one mile. My goal is to do a century this year.
40 years ago when I was riding centuries, I would do 25 miles a day 6 days a week and never had a problem completing a century, so don't let the number hold you back! Of course, I was VERY young and full of vim and vigor!! One of these days, this thread is going to motivate me to spin again (although both bikes will need a LOT of work before I can do that and I would rather spend my free time playing my PRSi)!!!

A century is a good workout. I try to do one a year. Last year I did 200km in one ride and the last 45 minutes or so wasn’t much fun - but it was for charity, so I finished it off.

I have ridden 300km since arriving at the beach a week ago. First rides were slow, today I felt more like myself. Perhaps because we stopped for pie, and then for ice cream.

today I felt more like myself. Perhaps because we stopped for pie, and then for ice cream.
OMG, you sound like my wife! :D:D She found an ice cream shop right off the bike trail and always wants to try to ride to it, have ice cream, then back. I'm like... "I thought we were doing this for exercise." She says, "we are."

Ok then. :D

A century is a good workout. I try to do one a year. Last year I did 200km in one ride and the last 45 minutes or so wasn’t much fun - but it was for charity, so I finished it off.

I have ridden 300km since arriving at the beach a week ago. First rides were slow, today I felt more like myself. Perhaps because we stopped for pie, and then for ice cream.

OMG, you sound like my wife! :D:D She found an ice cream shop right off the bike trail and always wants to try to ride to it, have ice cream, then back. I'm like... "I thought we were doing this for exercise." She says, "we are."

Both of these remind me of when I was in high school. Practice for our football team was held in a park about a mile from the school, so we would have to gear up/suit up in the locker room at school, walk or jog to the park (our choice usually), practice and then go back to the school to shower and change. The route to/from the park had an ice cream shop, and I would always stash a dollar in my sock inside a baggie so that on the way back I could get a small cone! It was the best tasting ice cream ever, not because it was the best, but just because of the timing of it! If your gonna exercise, you may as well use it as an excuse to eat what you want ;~))

Well, I think ice cream is fine after you have burned 1,500 calories. I don't eat anything for the first 500 calories, and then try to consume about half of the additional calorie burn during the ride. I also ride to cideries. I'm willing to skip all that if you come for a ride though - we can be all manly and stuff.

In reality, I only exercise so that I can eat more pie.

I like to say I ride to eat. Back when I lived in Georgia, my buddies and I had a tradition of eating BBQ after a big ride. A giant glass of iced tea and a pulled pork sandwich never tasted so good.

The pace on Sunday was a couple MPH faster than I can comfortably hold for long, so I eventually cracked around mile 60 on a particularly sandy section of dirt road. I was really in Sufferville on the last 10 miles, but after we all stopped for lunch at the end (I had three tacos, a beer, Powerade, and water), I felt like I could do more miles if I had to. Taco power!

On our first rest stop, 37 miles in, the ride leader bought us a box of orange creamsicles. Those aren't normally my jam, but dang was it good in that moment.

I'm willing to skip all that if you come for a ride though - we can be all manly and stuff.

In reality, I only exercise so that I can eat more pie.
I didn't mean it that way. Sorry if I came off wrong. Heck, I probably can't hang with you serious bikers. Remember, I ride an old steel framed mountain bike. LOL

My wife is thin, but she needs exercise. She stands all day at work, and is tired when she gets home. I try to get her on the elliptical, but she's too tired. Standing is not good for you. Makes you tired, but not because of exercise or movement. My concern is her health. We ain't getting any younger. ;) But she NEEDS the ice cream. Her doctor is actually concerned and running tests now because she can't put any weight on. She's under 100 lbs. So, I'd much rather her ride twice as far AND have the ice cream. It's just hard to get her on board for any real exercise. When we ride, she rides at a pace that is not really doing much... And I understand I can't push her like I would myself. I just want her to get some exercise for her health.

p.s. and I'd love to go riding with you. I'd probably need to snag a new bike first... or maybe a tow rope.

Back