All about bicycles

It’s all about being dressed for it. You probably have enough warming days in the winter that you can cherry pick a bit. I have good odds not seeing that for a couple of months.
I have a jacket that is good between about 7C and 13C. A warmer one that is good from about -3C to 8C. Below that takes creative layering.

“creative layers” good band name!

If you put on enough clothes, you can wreck at any speed and be safe.

I ride throughout the winter in New Jersey. I’ve gone out with temps in the teens. But for a mother in law who requires my wife’s care, we would have gone to Florida or Arizona this winter just to beat the cold weather.

q1yUPzt.jpg
Gotta love some winter fat biking through the snow. This is part of the Cuyuna trail system in the iron range of MN.

Uh oh... New bike day! Can't let Steve have all the fun!

2021 Giant Stance E 2
Couldn't resist. These are like hen's teeth these days, and this was the last one! Had to pounce on it.
29" wheels are awesome. Rear shock is plush, love it! Air suspension front and rear.

Went for a quick 8K ride and took every bump possible, jumped numerous curbs. This bike is fantastic.
Yes, the components would be considered mid grade, but dayum, it rides very nicely!

Badass bike Dave!

Have you guys ever compared your original cost basis of guitar gear vs bike gear? I’m afraid to make the comparison.
All I know is that I paid more for the last bike I bought than most of my guitars.
And bikes cost me a lot more to keep running nicely than my guitars do - tires are far more expensive than strings, and I don't want to talk about replacing drive trains.

Uh oh... New bike day! Can't let Steve have all the fun!

2021 Giant Stance E 2
Couldn't resist. These are like hen's teeth these days, and this was the last one! Had to pounce on it.
29" wheels are awesome. Rear shock is plush, love it! Air suspension front and rear.

Went for a quick 8K ride and took every bump possible, jumped numerous curbs. This bike is fantastic.
Yes, the components would be considered mid grade, but dayum, it rides very nicely!
Nice!

I was wondering if I would ride this winter and where, but the bike parts shortage kind of took that option away. I took my bike to the shop in mid December and have been awaiting a new rear cassette since. I called yesterday; they expect it will be done tomorrow.

As for the cost of biking vs guitar analysis; I've kind of done that. I spent more on my bike than I did on five of the seven guitars. But less has worn out on the guitars. Besides strings, some electronics have needed replaced (and bought a better soldering iron), some bridge pins, my first guitar needed a refret, and that's about it.

In the nine months and ~2,500 miles after getting a bike and returning to riding I've replaced a few innertubes (thinking of going tubeless), a set of tires, a set of pedals, a rear wheel, and now a cassette. (Wheel and pedals partially covered under warranty). I've also bought a few tools and various accessories.

And a few sets of padded liner shorts.

But I've greatly enjoyed riding, it's helped me continue to get healthier, has helped me deal with some difficult life situations, and generally feel physically and mentally better.

Here's a photo from one of my last rides before taking it to the shop.

zmjcr1F.jpg

Back