Al Di Meola Prism

The link in that ad goes to a Reverb listing that is 4 years old saying sold.
So not sure if it's still really for sale.

Thank you, I ended up buying it. Looking forward to it arriving by next week.
Ha!
I was watching it and saw it sold today.
Good for you.
We need pictures of your NGD when it arrives.
Congratulations indeed it looked like a stunning example.

And glad I could help fuel your GAS.

Last edited:
This is the listing I purchased it from and I dealt with a guy named James who was super cool through the whole process.

It is a 2009 with the serial #156156.

I would love to know how many they produced in 2009 and what the serial numbers started at. If anybody has any geeky statistics on how many Al D's they made between 2009 and 2014, I would love to know.

Now I am patiently waiting for FedEx to bring it to my door and I will post some photos. The colors on it looks exceptional.

Last edited:
Unless it’s a limited run with some of those guitars having the number/ how many made on the back of the headstock I’m pretty sure PRS does not release production numbers. But the chase is always fun. Looking forward to the pics when it arrives.

Unless it’s a limited run with some of those guitars having the number/ how many made on the back of the headstock I’m pretty sure PRS does not release production numbers. But the chase is always fun. Looking forward to the pics when it arrives.
Thank you for the info, I was wondering about that. Fortunately I got notification that it was released from customs this morning so hopefully I have it Monday.

Thank you for the info, I was wondering about that. Fortunately I got notification that it was released from customs this morning so hopefully I have it Monday.
If I had not just bought a PS axe I would likely have gone after it myself.
Hope it's as nifty as it looks and you have a blast with it.

It arrived in absolutely mint condition and sounds just as amazing. It feels incredible and I can see why retail price was $5,929 back in 2009, as it's a piece of art. I would post photos, but it looks like they have to be hosted on another website and if anyone knows how to simply post photos on this website without having to link them from somewhere else, I would appreciate the advice.

I found the build and price changes interesting and I was wondering if anybody had any information on why the price dropped in 2014 when the color options increased.

I was also wondering what was the differences between the 'Al D' neck and the 'pattern regular' and why they changed in 2011.

I was also under the impression that the Al D was "9 top" after watching the initial press conference, at 3:27:00 he mentions "9 top":

But looking at the 2009 price list and the Al D was the most expensive in the signature model category and was not available with any options.

The guitar carried over the same description in 2010, but was reduced in price, and then in 2011 it was now advertised as being a "10 top", but sold for the same price it was the year before.

All prices from PRS retail price lists found at: https://guitar-compare.com/catalogs/prs-catalogs/

2009: $5,929
Carved figured maple top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'Al-D' neck, rosewood fretboard, bird inlays, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, AL-D truss rod cover, hardshell case.

Electronics - 57/08 treble & bass pickups volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

2010: $5,517
Carved figured maple top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'Al-D' neck, rosewood fretboard, bird inlays, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, "AL-D" truss rod cover, hardshell case.

Electronics - PRS 57/08 treble & bass pickups volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

2011: $5,517
Carved figured maple '10' top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'pattern regular' neck, cocobolo fretboard, bird inlays, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, "AL-D" truss rod cover, hardshell case.

Electronics - PRS 57/08 treble & bass pickups, volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

2012: $5,897
Carved figured maple '10' top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'pattern regular' neck, cocobolo fretboard, bird inlays, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, "AL-D" truss rod cover, hardshell case.

Electronics - 57/08 treble & bass pickups, volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

2013: $5,897
Carved figured maple '10' top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'pattern regular' neck, "mexican ebony" fretboard, bird inlays, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, "AL-D" truss rod cover, hardshell case.

Electronics - 57/08 treble & bass pickups, volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

2014: $3,799
Carved figured maple '10' top with mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany neck, "mexican ebony" fretboard, bird inlays, rosewood headstock veneer with inlaid signature, PRS tremolo, PRS low mass locking tuners, nickel hardware, hardshell case

Neck profile - pattern regular

Electronics - covered 57/08 treble & bass pickups, volume & push/pull tone control, 3-way toggle

Finishes available: Blue Fade, Green Fade, Orange Fade & Prism

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thank you to the members who are so kind in this forum. I was very fortunate to have Al sign the guitar before his performance. Keep chasing dreams!

Just wanted to say thank you to the members who are so kind in this forum. I was very fortunate to have Al sign the guitar before his performance. Keep chasing dreams!

That is absolutely stupendous.
What a result.
Just perfect.

Thank you, I ended up buying it. Looking forward to it arriving by next week.
Hi Todd, I am a bit confused. The listing 67771069 is still on Reverb. Maybe you purchased a guitar of a different listing?

Edit: my bad, i didn't notice that the guitar shown at the link above is a similar one, and that of the listing was sold.

Hi Todd, I am a bit confused. The listing 67771069 is still on Reverb. Maybe you purchased a guitar of a different listing?

Edit: my bad, i didn't notice that the guitar shown at the link above is a similar one, and that of the listing was sold.
Good evening, sorry about the confusion, if you look at post #29, it has the link to the place in London where I purchased the 2009 AL D that I have. I do not have the one from Hong Kong as I did not like the finish on the front of it and I was leary of ordering from that far away because shipping could be hell.

You can see it here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAUn2o

Here's one if someone isn't scared of a Hong Kong listing....
Hong Kong provenance aside, what do you guys think about the finish? It seems that the blue shade is completely missing, and the green shade is almost invisible.
Is that pattern usual? I have never seen it in other listings

Good evening, sorry about the confusion, if you look at post #29, it has the link to the place in London where I purchased the 2009 AL D that I have. I do not have the one from Hong Kong as I did not like the finish on the front of it and I was leary of ordering from that far away because shipping could be hell.

You can see it here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAUn2o
Wonderful!

Back