Ah, the old “mint” except for….. ad.

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
Also known as the WTF ad.

Currently listed on Reverb as “MINT”. Then it states the following:

“Cosmetic Condition: The guitar has minimal play wear. The finish is glossy with only minor surface scratches.

Tech Notes: The guitar plays well with low action. The frets are narrow and tall with minimal play wear.”

Gotta love those mint except for ads!
:eek::oops:o_O

Also known as the WTF ad.

Currently listed on Reverb as “MINT”. Then it states the following:

“Cosmetic Condition: The guitar has minimal play wear. The finish is glossy with only minor surface scratches.

Tech Notes: The guitar plays well with low action. The frets are narrow and tall with minimal play wear.”

Gotta love those mint except for ads!
:eek::oops:o_O
Hahahaha

It's funny, I was thinking about this exact topic the other day. Only takes a second to see the "mint" tarnished hardware and corroded tuners with buttons that have permanent fingerprints etched in. It really is buyer beware and be educated out there. I've been lucky but probably 95% of my purchases have been from reputable stores that stand behind all their sales so can't b.s.

I find this type stuff to be idiocy. I watch a lot of fishing reels in eBay and it makes me want to puke how many times I’ve see somebody say “excellent condition “and you look in the thing has nicks and scratches all over it. I have 30 year old reels in better condition than some of these that list in “excellent “or “like new “condition . It’s flat out lying. And they’re just hoping you don’t look closely enough at the pictures to tell him that they’re lying. I used to send them requests for better pictures and say things like “it must be the picture making it look like it has scratches and nicks all over it, or maybe that’s dust, so could you wipe it off and take a better picture for me? “. There are no standards and you can basically say whatever you want when you list an item. But that’s not my biggest pet peeve with listing titles. Don’t even get me started on “new other!” If you aren’t a dealer it’s not new. The fact that you only used it for one season and put it back in the box does not make it new. The fact that it’s 15 years old and you “aren’t even sure it was ever used “does not make it new. Etc.

I had a fun one at the beginning of the year. An NF3 in "excellent condition." The photos were all of it in the case. That made me wonder. Sure enough, a big old gash on the side of the guitar, a bit lower than where your arm would rest. Deep down into the wood. Then the guy has the nuts to tell me that he'd priced it taking "the condition into account." Well, so did I--and the value dropped quite a bit once the true condition was evident.

I don't get people like that. I'd actually have bought the guitar had he been honest about it. I'm not looking at used guitars thinking I should get one that's in brand new condition. I won't deal with someone that seems dishonest to me.

"We have some great used guitars in stock."

"No thanks..Who knows whose boogery, forgot-to-wash-after-using-the-toilet, hands have been all over this thing?"

"Are you kidding? Look at this one, it's mint!"

"I dunno. The case smells funny."

"Oh, the previous owner puked on the guitar, but we got it cleaned up. We can sell you a new case."

"That's actually pretty disgusting."

"Oh, he wasn't sick, it was only beer puke. And hey! It's patina! The guitar's got character! And we aren't even charging extra for it!"

"No thanks..Who knows whose boogery, forgot-to-wash-after-using-the-toilet, hands have been all over this thing?"

"Oh, the previous owner puked on the guitar, but we got it cleaned up. We can sell you a new case."

"Oh, he wasn't sick, it was only beer puke. And hey! It's patina! The guitar's got character! And we aren't even charging extra for it!"

The guitar ad: "Zero buckle rash!"

Reality: "There's no buckle rash because I've never worn a belt while playing this guitar. Or pants."

People gotta have the Patina, the proof is in the Patina;)

Back