Aged PRS Guitars - Yay or Nay?

NAY. I thinking buying a brand new guitar that's looking like you dragged it on the ground is foolish. they'll take your money.

I think the guy who first hatched the idea is a genius. I found the VOS finish on the Gibson CS historics very tasteful. That’s very surprising for a guy with hyper OCD on perfect shiny gloss finishes. They’re more ‘unbuffed’ rather than ‘aged’, albeit with rusty hardware. That’s like something along the lines of what WA Paul expressed above.

So I feel there’s definitely a market for PRS with aged finishes, but probably with the S2 or reclaimed limited look. Interestingly the reclaimed limited is the exact opposite - super old and worn wood made to look new.

Go for it PRS!
Yeah I really like the look of those VOS finishes. I love aged guitars, though I'm ambivalent about artificially aged guitars, I prefer the aging to come from actual use. But the VOS finishes do seem to have struck a nice balance for me. I think Fender do something similar with their closet classics?? My one and only PRS has the PF09 nitro satin finish and this had now aged to semi gloss through buffing. Very similar to the Gibson VOS finish now.

...isn't it a bit of a mindf#*k to make a guitar look like it is 50 years old when it hasn't been around at that time at all? And second, part of the PRS fascination for me is the craftsmanship which includes all those shiny and new materials and parts.
What do you think?
I think that the whole idea of "reliced" or "artificially aged" guitars is absurd, kind of like when a brand new comic book or magazine declares itself to be a "collectors edition".
I'm supposed to pay someone $1000 to beat up a new guitar?

I think they look epic! Sure, I'm not 100% comfortable with taking a new guitar and making them look old. It's like being caught out telling a lie. But I'm also not strongly against it either. I can see the appeal. But I still think they look epic. I've always preferred guitars that are fit and finished in a way that would enable aging in this way - nickel rather than Chrome parts, nitro etc. Seem to age much more organically and develop a lovely patina. I'm looking forward to my 53/10 ltd looking like this in another 40 years

I'm looking forward to my 53/10 ltd looking like this in another 40 years
Me too. Totally agree. Can’t wait to see what pristinely maintained but genuine chronologically aged guitars will look like!

Personally I would prefer a pristine but aged and faded Bernie Marsden “Beast” to the current nicked and dinged version. I speak for myself only. My philosophy when I comes to cherished ‘keeper’ guitars is, the more pristine they are, the more you can wear and ding them later should you fancy so.

“When you got the TV guide, you don’t need the TV” - (guess the movie)

Although, by then I might be looking at them through astral eyes! I just hope they don’t develop cloudiness in their finish. You don’t want a mad spirit in the house.:eek:

Last edited:
The fake 'aging' doesn't offend me, too much, it's your money amigo, but the cheap, black plastic control covers, but I've always had that issue when a guitar costs north of $9K...

Although, by then I might be looking at them through astral eyes! I just hope they don’t develop cloudiness in their finish. You don’t want a mad spirit in the house.:eek:
Yeah to be fair just making it another 40 years will be an achievement all in itself

I wouldn't spec one that was "aged." However, if I was in a shop, and they had one, and it sounded great, I wouldn't let it stop me from buying one. Tone first, in my book!
I am on the same page, but I would add playability as well.

Yeah I really like the look of those VOS finishes. I love aged guitars, though I'm ambivalent about artificially aged guitars, I prefer the aging to come from actual use. But the VOS finishes do seem to have struck a nice balance for me. I think Fender do something similar with their closet classics?? My one and only PRS has the PF09 nitro satin finish and this had now aged to semi gloss through buffing. Very similar to the Gibson VOS finish now.

A while back there was a Custom 22 PF-09 for sale in Germany for a very reasonable price. I still kick myself for passing on that one.

I will say, anybody that takes a new guitar that's been reliced and tries to pass it off as a legit old guitar is scum. However, if you don't try to pretend it's something it isn't, I see no issues with it. I even built my partscaster using a reliced body from MJT, but I'd never imagine passing it off as an original 50s or 60s guitar. I put a custom logo on it and just rock out.

I can’t wait til my new car is all beat up.
I can't wait to see what happens to the first person who puts a dent in mine.

Ok, nothing, but I'll sure think about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
39009780_2099487206792364_7323202338154348544_n.jpg
36148765_134612247373158_5828329964235128832_n.jpg

Love wear and tear.

Play it off, buy it played off, or keep it pristine - it's your ride, enjoy it.

Back