After-market pickups similar to the older McCartys?

Beery Swine

Right, so the McCarty is currently and easily my favorite pickup right now, and I'd like to get more (or preferably ANOTHER old McCarty, but the prices have spiked a good deal since I bought my first one), only problem is most people don't really swap out the pickups on a guitar they paid over $2k for. Funny that, innit?
So, anyone here have experience with pickups which sound similar to the old McCartys? I'm looking at Duncan's APH-1, Pearly Gates, Saturday Night Specials, and even the basic '59s, but maybe there's a better option from another company out there. Any suggestions?
Also PRS should start reviving their old pickups and selling them. Gibson made the mistake of not really doing this for their '57-'62 or so years, and look where that got them.
I have a feeling that if PRS doesn't begin to appreciate and cherish its own history rather than always only focusing on their latest creations, they'll regret it. You hear me, Paul?

You can find used McCarty pickups on Reverb or eBay once in a while
Yeah, but they rarely seem to be nickel-covered and a matched set, unfortunately.
I suppose just about any PAF/vintage type set from a decent company would do, so long as they're not too bright.

Yeah, but they rarely seem to be nickel-covered and a matched set, unfortunately.
I suppose just about any PAF/vintage type set from a decent company would do, so long as they're not too bright.
Consider Seth Lover's. The unpotted tone is pretty cool. Unless your doing metal you will probably like them. I sure do.

Wow....the prices on the old ones have gone up since I got mine. I paid well under 2K for mine......and I'm not pulling the pickups! I like it just as it was designed and built to be.

Wow....the prices on the old ones have gone up since I got mine. I paid well under 2K for mine......and I'm not pulling the pickups! I like it just as it was designed and built to be.
Yup, they sure have. I paid $1350 including shipping for a 2004 about 9 months ago, a guitar like that will go for at least $1700 now, and that's only if you're patient enough to wait for a deal. I saw a honeyburst McCarty from 2002 which looked absolutely cherry on Guitar Center not 4 months back for just $1200 and I'm kicking myself black and blue for not jumping on it then, but finances were a bit tight and I didn't wanna risk it. Man, I think all I've been talking up the used McCartys has helped spike the price a little, but it's probably just due primarily to the better economy. More money in Joe's pocket means Joe can afford to see more rock shows, which means all the band members get paid more, which in turn means they're not so hard up for cash, so they can afford to be picky with how much they'd be willing to part with their beloved instruments made in America. It's a seller's market now.

They had Alnico 4 magnets, which Fralin is known to use extensively. As for how hot I'd probably look for a set in the 9k bridge/8K neck range? That's stock for their "modern PAF" model.

They had Alnico 4 magnets, which Fralin is known to use extensively. As for how hot I'd probably look for a set in the 9k bridge/8K neck range? That's stock for their "modern PAF" model.
As far as A4s and 9k goes, yeah, I've seen the various spec sheets of PRS pickups, but just because one is 9k and has an A4 doesn't mean it's gonna sound the same. Variables in guitar parts are a blessing and a curse.

Back