Aesthetic Upgrades to SE CU24

ravana

Hey folks,

I've been with my SE CU24 for more than a year and am itching for a change. I'm definitely not deserving of a new guitar, but I am down to pretty up my SE model. I'm thinking to increase its likeness to it's older brother. Before I went out and started purchasing parts, I wanted to make sure I was ordering the right parts/colors.

For reference, my SE looks like:
http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/3175396/p2_uw4b5w0yt_so.jpg

Now the questions:
1. The black lampshade knobs are the correct knobs on the Core CU24? Will they fit in the SE?
2. Do my eyes decieve me or did they switch pickup ring color at one time? Two pictures I've been going off for reference are:
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/CU24FGB/206439/206439-body-large.jpg
and
http://www.12fret.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/prs_cust_24_black/PRS_Cust_24_Black_Top.jpg

If the Core CU24 did have cream color rings at a time, anyone know if they're the same color as the current SE ones? I'm not too much of a fan of the pure white rings, so I might be tempted to keep the current ones.

3. Anyone know if I can just change the plastic tip on the blade switch? Or would I have to change out the entire switch component. Is there anything special about the PRS one sold on the accessory site versus one I'd get from STEWMAC?

That's it. Thanks for helping me pimp out the SE :)

Take care,
Rav

The pickup rings on the Core CU24 are more of a lighter ivory-cream, while the SE ones are more yellowish. The Core pickup rings are same colours, it's just the lighting that gave them different shades. I'm not sure about the other components, so you'll need others to chime in. Have fun! :beer:

I put USA amber lampshades on my SE CU24 and they worked great. Looks way better than the SE one too.

In my opinion, I think PRS shouldn't use Zebra coils on every single SE model... Very unappealing and gives way the model being from the SE line..

Very unappealing and gives way the model being from the SE line..

I'm guessing that's their purpose :p

Yeah, I've always thought they look pretty bad too. That's why I'll be getting the STEWMAC Golden Age humbuckers. Anyone have experience with those humbuckers?

Anyone know where to order just the switch tip, PRS SE?

Did you find a source? I'm looking for a black tip, and PRS confirmed that their 5 way tip doesn't fit the 3 way blade (the 3 way tip isn't sold separately). I'm probably going to buy a bunch of tips and try them until one fits...

Did you find a source? I'm looking for a black tip, and PRS confirmed that their 5 way tip doesn't fit the 3 way blade (the 3 way tip isn't sold separately). I'm probably going to buy a bunch of tips and try them until one fits...

Well, my experience is that I tried about ten different ones from my guitar storage room and "none" of them fit; import or USA.

The only ones that I got to fit were from other SE guitars.

So, I would definitely be interested in finding a source myself. Itseems that the lower body placement of the three way toggle puts it in a place where I break them easily without knowing it. Probably standing them up against my workstation next to my wooden bed base.

Maybe that Mann Made company has just the switch tips. Possibly someone here knows. I think you can buy the whole switch assembly from him, but I usually don't need a whole assembly. I think I had one whole assembly go bad. They may be a part that can be replaced with an upgraded aftermarket part; as is the case with many guitars.

Let me know if you find a source.

I have two Custom 24 SE's, both beautiful and great guitars. I really dig them. Thru my Fender Deluxe Reverb they sound potent. I suppose I will be needing to find a source for the three way blade switch tips too.

Someone has to have them. I'm surprised PRS doesn't carry them.

In my opinion, I think PRS shouldn't use Zebra coils on every single SE model... Very unappealing and gives way the model being from the SE line..

I have soldered on three sets of raw nickel/silver metal covers over the zebras on three of my SE's and they look fantastic.

The total time to solder on one set of covers is less than a half hour, clean up included.

I left the pickups soldered to the guitars and loosened the strings way up to turn the pickups over onto a towel placed on top of the guitars. Having good soldering skills, I firmly placed the covers on the pickups checking that the screws were tightly pressed thru the cover holes evenly. I then took some medium sandpaper and sanded the soldering site on one of the long sides of the pickup cover only. In these cases it was about an inch long area at the edge of the metal pickup base plate and the edge of the cover, at the same contact spot where the solder would need to stick well.

I then applied a thin coat of the real facilitator of this and many other soldering jobs - some "paste soldering flux" available in a small tub at the hardware store. I then got out my solder that I always buy from Radio Shack because they are the only place that sells "electrical solder - containing lead". You can get this electrical solder from Radio Shack in the very useful 1.0mm solder wire size. It is flux or rosin core but you still need to use paste flux to eliminate the dreaded "balling up and rolling off" of the solder. You want the solder to "sheet out" at the soldering site for a thin and excellent solder joint. Clumps of piled up solder are sure indicators that the person that did the soldering did not know what they were doing; and these piles of solder are often "cold solder joints" and do not make good electrical contacts and are therefore very poor soldering joints - you want to avoid this and start using "paste flux" to the site before applying the soldering iron and solder to the soldering site.

I have two "pencil" type soldering irons; one 15 watts and a stronger 40 watt one for getting in there, heating things up quick and getting out of there before burning up the insides of bulkier more massive components that take more to heat them up to melting temperatures. These are "Weller" brand soldering irons and are far superior to the Radio Shack junk soldering irons, or other brand "x" soldering irons of cheap quality - even though they cost about the same exact amount. True Value Hardware, etc., sells the "Weller" brand soldering irons and replacement tips.

Before soldering I have a cut in half piece of one of the 3M type yellow sponges with the green scrubbie layer on top. I get this sponge wet and wring it out. I heat up my soldering iron and draw it across the green surface and you will see the black oxidization quickly disappear from the soldering iron tip. Sometimes it will even turn shinny silver from the solder under the oxidization. Often though, you have to do a pre-soldering procedure to prepare your soldering iron, called "tinning" the tip of the soldering iron. It may be dull grey after removing the oxidation. Apply some paste flux liberally to the hot soldering iron tip and watch it smoke up as it burns off the impurities from the soldering iron tip. The flux cleans by burning off impurities. Quickly apply the "electrical leaded" soldering wire to the soldering iron tip, moving the solder wire around to completely coat the tip with a shinny sliver coating of solder. This is called "tinning" the tip and should be done before and after soldering to maintain the tip in an unoxidized state, ready for soldering. After tinning the tip proceed to examining the soldering site where the baseplate of the pickup and the metal cover will be tack soldered.

Apply "paste flux" to the sanded soldering site at the contact point between the baseplate of the pickup and the edge of the metal cover. Have some uncoiled solder wire ready to grab and apply to the soldering site. Apply the hot soldering iron (15 watt) to the flux covered site until the flux is smoking liberally, removing impurities that would otherwise cause the solder to bead up and roll off. Quickly grab the soldering wire and apply it to the still smoking soldering site, applying only enough solder to cover maybe three quarters of an inch of the joint between the baseplate an the side of the metal cover. Do not pile up the solder but get enough on to obviously bridge the two parts together. Don't let the solder excessively melt down into the inside of the pickup any more than minimally necessary. The goal, of course being zero getting inside the pickup. Quickly remove the heat and the solder will harden within a few seconds, firmly holding the pickup cover on. You only need to solder one side of the cover, this will totally be strong enough to firmly hold the cover onto the baseplate.

You should see zero dreaded and unsightly "balling up and rolling off" of the solder when doing it this way. You will wind up with a great solder joint and a great looking pickup - transformed from an ugly zebra to a very cool looking metal covered pickup.

These covers are about five a piece from Philadelphia Luthier Tools online with super fast delivery and super great customer service. They have a wide variety of metal pickup cover options. I'm going to order another two sets right now and put one set on my SE Santana in Santana Yellow.

Spending a minimal amount to build your own soldering kit is well worth it. Don't forget to get some of the "key to mastery of soldering" - paste flux. Don't get thick "plumbers solder" almost exclusively available at hardware stores and other outlets. Get "electrical solder" containing "lead". "Lead free" solder is almost all you will find, but search for leaded. Lead free is almost impossible to melt with a soldering iron and is difficult to work with, requiring huge amounts of damaging heat. You will readily find lead containing electrical solder in rolls of various diameter at Radio Shack. You might want to stock up on some. The 3M yellow and green scrubbie sponge is also a very excellent item to have for cleaning your soldering tip during the job and for cleaning and tinning before and after soldering jobs. You will be glad you put together a very inexpensive soldering kit. You will be able to do guitar repairs that will pay for the kit the first time you use it.

Good luck with soldering on the new covers. They fit right into mounting rings perfectly and look great. You will be very satisfied with your work.

All of my zebra PRS pickups sound very good in my opinion and I have not replaced any of them, and I'm quick to upgrade my pickups. The metal covers transform them into some awesome pickups and your guitar will look super nice.

Here is a picture of one of my SE Custom 24's, brand new.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that's their purpose :p

Yeah, I've always thought they look pretty bad too. That's why I'll be getting the STEWMAC Golden Age humbuckers. Anyone have experience with those humbuckers?

Actually "Golden Age" pickups are supposed to be great pickups and they are supposed to be the ones that Squier puts into their "Classic Vibe" strats an teles. Some say that they are Toneriders, but there is significant evidence that Tonerider pickups are made in the same plant as the Golden Age pickups. I called Fender about checking the build sheet corresponding to my Squier Butterscotch Blonde tele Classic Vibe. He said the pickups were indicated as Golden Age.

Golden Age also makes a more premium but very inexpensive humbucker called the "Parson's Street" pickups. These are supposed to be even more awesome. Stew Mac sells them too I believe and they get great reviews.

I would not hesitate to buy Golden Age or Parson's Street humbuckers.

Installing your own pickup covers will also give you a quality set of spare pickups even if you do get the Golden Age or Parson's Street humbuckers.

Good luck and I hope this information helps someone out there contemplating the same ideas we are considering.

Last edited:
Back