Advice

IKnowALittle

I have about fifty guitars, most pretty high end. Of that number I have fifteen PRS, all of them Artist grade or Private Stock. They are all mint, in fact, factory pristine. Never played and never out of their case. I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago, and for various reasons my life has been in turmoil since the new year. As such, the guitars have become my personal Albatross and I would like to sell 10 of them. It would be advantageous if I could bulk sell them to a dealer. Any advice on who might be receptive would be appreciated. The only monkey wrench is that I live in Canada, which isn't really a problem, but introduces some issues that need to be addressed.

Thx.

I'd put them in a folder on a photo sharing site and post the link to two places:
1) In your signature line on this forum
2) In a for sale ad on The Gear Page

Even if you only sell a few high-end guitars at full retail and wholesale the rest to a dealer, you're going to be ahead by thousands.

I like Hans advice.

If you are in the Toronto area, Cosmo Music seems to have the best trade/purchase program. If you bought a lot from one dealer, I would talk to them first.

Selling to individuals who are looking for exactly what you have will net you more money for them. However, you will not know how long you will have to wait for a buyer. Selling to a dealer in bulk especially will get you money fast, BUT you will take a h*ll of a hit on what you can pull off of them because they will need to turn a profit on them themselves. So they have to buy low, and mark them up to profit. Then they have to be concerned with how long THEY will have to wait before they can move them. Guitars don't make them money hanging on the wall in the shop. They have to sell them too in order to keep the business rolling. So they factor that in to what they offer you.

So, it really just depends on how much you really want (or NEED) to get out of what you are selling. And how much time you have to wait to get it. That is only a balance you would know.

If you were from Europe and this was later in the year, I'd be really interested to see what you have. Not being the case, I'll just wish you good luck and that someone on the forum may put you on the right track.

Hope you get into smoother waters, and good luck with the sale.

I don't know a lot about how to do it, but you could try consignment at some stores. Good luck.

Back