Advice :) WHICH PRS ? -- PRS SECU24 , PRS SE 25th ANNIVERSARY CU24 or...

Soul Power

Hello everyone , its the first thread of mine and I'm so excited to get a new PRS guitar at the end.I have so many questions because I'm in desparete to make a decide.Never thought it was really hard.Anyway as the title says , I found out PRS SE 25th Anniversary and I think I fell in love with it (what a beautiful body it is)...I did little research and almost know the specs of the two guitar but still cant decide...

In my country (Turkey) , SECU24 is now $600 and it is of course Korean made...25th Anniversary Custom 24 is around $900.I dont why but 25th is expensive for me , as I listed pro's and cons , its just has advantage of color and the body which I fell in love and thats just concerns me...All of the other electronics are almost same , same pickups , PRS designed tremolo etc. , there isnt coil-tap in 25th ACU24 and its not that important for me...

From all of that , I also have another option PRS SE Singlecut Scarlet Red which is now around $600 as SECU24 , I actually dont like Singlecut's but damn that color is so sexy...

Ok at the end what should I do , is it worth to buy 25th Anniversary Custom 24 or buying a $600 SECU24 and saving $300 for an amp...

I'm really desperate now , I need to get consulted about this...

My last choice is Schecter Omen Extreme-6...Its a pretty guitar , actually it was my first option while making decisions about getting a guitar but it has very large scale for me ( 25.5") , and it is inexpensive than the PRS but I really want to play PRS guitars so PRS is my priority.

Edit : What is latest Custom 24 (Korean made) are ? 2012 or 2013 ? How can I recognize the which year they have been made ? Music store I'm looking now shows the PRS SECU24's with toggle switches , as far as I know the latest models has blade switch , can anybody inform me about this also :)

Thanks for your reading :)

Last edited:
The 25th anv. for $900 seems like a good deal. What condition is it in? One more thing to think about is resale value. I would think that later down the road you would get the $900 back and maybe more, but maybe only about half back on the SE's.

The 25th anv. for $900 seems like a good deal. What condition is it in? One more thing to think about is resale value. I would think that later down the road you would get the $900 back and maybe more, but maybe only about half back on the SE's.

Its brand-new.Really its good deal ? To me CU24 better and inexpensive than that but damn that shape and color concerns me very much...Thanks for reply though :)

I own one of the 25th SE CU24's, and have played some of the newer beveled top ones as well. The new body shape is really nice, but the old flat top isn't bad either. Sounds like you're a sucker for the quilt top! That's OK, I am too :) The anniversary SE's aren't really that rare here in the states, but that doesn't mean they aren't cool.

Only you can decide if the anniversary SE is worth the extra money, but I will say that I don't think you'll notice much difference in playability or tone between the two, because as you said, the electronics and hardware are mostly the same, aside from the coil taps. So if that quilt top finish is calling your name, I wouldn't be too worried about missing out on anything the new SE has to offer. On the other hand, the new ones are also nice, and also look great with the beveled top!

What color is the anniversary you're looking at? Here's mine!
10237426306_70dd7453d2_c.jpg

I personally don't buy guitars for the next guy after me. I buy them to play; no museum pieces. I keep all my good guitars and even some that are less awesome.

I'd say get what "you" want. You need to get what "you" want to have lasting happiness. Do not get one because of the color or shape, unless it is absolutely the one you "want". Get the one "you" want. Do not be influenced by color or special designations. Get the one that is the exact style you want, feels the best, and plays the best; and of course "sounds" the best. Visual appearance or color can be distracting if the guitar is not exactly the one you want.

Don't buy the wrong one for "you". Do not wait too long - some one else will get it. "He who hesitates (some times) is lost". You have to know when this imperative applies.

Good luck and get what "you" want.

Get a good amp too. At least as good as the guitar. Do not get a cheap junk amp.

These are just my opinions from my point of view.

Your English is understandable, no problem, and welcome to the site.

The PRS should be very excellent. The Schecter Omen is also a decent inexpensive guitar but in different class from the PRS SE.

I own one of the 25th SE CU24's, and have played some of the newer beveled top ones as well. The new body shape is really nice, but the old flat top isn't bad either. Sounds like you're a sucker for the quilt top! That's OK, I am too :) The anniversary SE's aren't really that rare here in the states, but that doesn't mean they aren't cool.

Only you can decide if the anniversary SE is worth the extra money, but I will say that I don't think you'll notice much difference in playability or tone between the two, because as you said, the electronics and hardware are mostly the same, aside from the coil taps. So if that quilt top finish is calling your name, I wouldn't be too worried about missing out on anything the new SE has to offer. On the other hand, the new ones are also nice, and also look great with the beveled top!

What color is the anniversary you're looking at? Here's mine!

Oh that one looks very good but my choice is the red one.I dont like the way SECU24's look , wihte-black pickup colors and the body colors are not for me though , I like red very much and I find the 25th SECU24 very attractive , but damn thats the reason I gotta pay $300 extra and I could buy a very decent amp with that money...

Just another question maybe this is a bit noobie , but hows the tremolo tuning ? I heard its hard to changing strings and tuning (sometimes it may get out of tone thats I heard).

The PRS should be very excellent. The Schecter Omen is also a decent inexpensive guitar but in different class from the PRS SE.

Thank you :) As you mentioned I mostly want the 25th Aniv. SECU24 but its just extra $300 only for the way it look and I will buy an amp too so I have to spend my money wisely.What wouldy you suggest if I would choose PRS SECU24/25th Aniv SECU24 or Schecter OE6...Does PRS worth to buy (of course!) , or Schecter would do the same thing as PRS...

Thank you :) As you mentioned I mostly want the 25th Aniv. SECU24 but its just extra $300 only for the way it look and I will buy an amp too so I have to spend my money wisely.What wouldy you suggest if I would choose PRS SECU24/25th Aniv SECU24 or Schecter OE6...Does PRS worth to buy (of course!) , or Schecter would do the same thing as PRS...

I would personally probably go with the regular SECU24 in red and get a good amp. You need to have both things. Just my opinion.

You will most likely get another guitar someday if this is your first decent guitar.

The PRS SE should be way nicer than the Schecter Omen which is the very inexpensive Schecter, probably made in China. The PRS SE is made in Korea which makes some great guitars and PRS has their act together in Korea.

I would personally probably go with the regular SECU24 in red and get a good amp. You need to have both things. Just my opinion.

You will most likely get another guitar someday if this is your first decent guitar.

The PRS SE should be way nicer than the Schecter Omen which is the very inexpensive Schecter, probably made in China. The PRS SE is made in Korea which makes some great guitars and PRS has their act together in Korea.

Thank you.Probably I'll do in that way , I wish I could find the SECU24 in Black Cherry color.Only colors in stores royal blue,orange,three sunburst...Too bad only problem is the color now haha , why PRS dont just make Red which is always the sexiest color in the universe...

By the way Schecter is made in Indonesia...

Edit : What is latest Custom 24 (Korean made) are ? 2012 or 2013 ? How can I recognize the which year they have been made ? Music store I'm looking now shows the PRS SECU24's with toggle switches , as far as I know the latest models has blade switch , can anybody inform me about this also :)

Last edited:
Thank you.Probably I'll do in that way , I wish I could find the SECU24 in Black Cherry color.Only colors in stores royal blue,orange,three sunburst...Too bad only problem is the color now haha , why PRS dont just make Red which is always the sexiest color in the universe...

By the way Schecter is made in Indonesia...

The three sunburst is a classic color and really looks cool in my opinion. I have a singlecut in sunburst and it is very nice looking. I like the orange as well. My Santana SE is in Santana yellow which I like a lot.

Buy the way, I like the tremolo bridge better than the nice Fender vintage ones on my strats. They work great and are somewhat different but nice, no tuning problems. I put direct drop in Grover 406c locking mini tuners on my Singlecut SE Tremolo guitar and it stays in tune amazingly.

Personally I don't care much for the coil splitting and on my guitars that have it I don't use the coil splitting only very little. I personally way more prefer the three way toggle switch and like it's look better. I have strats and tele's for single coil sounds. An inexpensive strat will cover all your single coil needs, or a telecaster. I think that less complicated wiring in the guitar makes it more dependable and gives a cleaner signal. It seems like the more complicated the wiring gets the more noise goes to the amp - but this is just my feeling and I have a some complicated wiring in some of my guitars and don't mind it. Keep it simple seems like a good idea with guitars, to me.

Definitely don't forget about the amp. I would stay away from the Omen personally, the woods, quality, and feel are different from the PRS SE's. The PRS SE should be a way higher quality guitar. My Omen 6 has a basswood body, where the PRS SE's mostly have mahogany bodies with thick maple caps and a figured veneer on the top. This is a great combination of woods for a guitar body.

I'd jump on that PRS SECU24 before it disappears. Try to get the best price and stay focused. Don't let the salesman make your decision for you. Try to talk him down to a lower price and stick to your target guitar. Don't jump between guitars and be ready to "buy it" right there on the spot. Show him the cash so he knows you are serious. Money talks and might get you a better deal if he knows you are buying now. To him, a bird in the hand is worth ten in the bush.

You can't go wrong with the regular PRS SE. No need to go for the fancy one if you need money for a good amp. You want to get both I would suppose. I would want to get both a good guitar and a good amp. PRS is going to be the best quality compared to the Schecter, I would definitely say - based on my personal experience.

Try to make a decision and move forward with it. Good luck.

I have an older flat top one in Black Cherry, a pre-25th anniversary model from 2009. Essentially, everything's the same as the 25th anniversary models, but it's not quilted top and the finish doesn't pop out as nicely as some other colours like sunburst or orange. Still, I love it for everything it is.

Go for the cheaper one if its the same build. Max tuna that color red is sharp!

I love the colour, the hue isn't too bright and it just gives it a bold but not OTT look. My only beef with it is that the flame figuring doesn't "pop out" as much as other lighter finishes. Still an epic player, nonetheless. :top:

I have an older flat top one in Black Cherry, a pre-25th anniversary model from 2009. Essentially, everything's the same as the 25th anniversary models, but it's not quilted top and the finish doesn't pop out as nicely as some other colours like sunburst or orange. Still, I love it for everything it is.

I dig that one Maxtuna. I like the three way switch, etc. The color is really cool but I like the lighter colors like orange and burst too. Beautiful. I would like to have one like that.

Great pictures.

Definitely don't forget about the amp. I would stay away from the Omen personally, the woods, quality, and feel are different from the PRS SE's. The PRS SE should be a way higher quality guitar. My Omen 6 has a basswood body, where the PRS SE's mostly have mahogany bodies with thick maple caps and a figured veneer on the top. This is a great combination of woods for a guitar body.

You can't go wrong with the regular PRS SE. No need to go for the fancy one if you need money for a good amp. You want to get both I would suppose. I would want to get both a good guitar and a good amp. PRS is going to be the best quality compared to the Schecter, I would definitely say - based on my personal experience.

Try to make a decision and move forward with it. Good luck.

Thank you , nice reviews and I can easily say I'll buy the SECu24 one...

But one thing I need to correct about Schecter.You're talking about Omen 6 , but my choice is Omen Extreme 6.They're different.

Omen Extreme 6 has mahagony/w quilted maple body , maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.Also it has coil-tap feature that Omen 6 hasn't got.

So would you still advice me to stay away from Schecter ?

The PRS is a very personally valued guitar by those that own them. The inlays might be circular highlighted half-moons, which I personally like; but the birds are very cool too.

I would get a PRS SE. Personal opinion.

I would say that overall there would be little doubt that the PRS SE would be a highly desirable purchase. This is a PRS forum and we like PRS guitars.

Thank you , nice reviews and I can easily say I'll buy the SECu24 one...

But one thing I need to correct about Schecter.You're talking about Omen 6 , but my choice is Omen Extreme 6.They're different.

Omen Extreme 6 has mahagony/w quilted maple body , maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.Also it has coil-tap feature that Omen 6 hasn't got.

So would you still advice me to stay away from Schecter ?

The PRS is a very personally valued guitar by those that own them. The inlays might be circular highlighted half-moons, which I personally like; but the birds are very cool too.

I would get a PRS SE. Personal opinion.

I would say that overall there would be little doubt that the PRS SE would be a highly desirable purchase. This is a PRS forum and we like PRS guitars.

Indeed I like PRS too.Its gonna be my first guitar (apart from acoustics) and I want to make my decisions right , I dont wanna say wish I bought the other one after I buy the guitar...Therefore I need advices that make my decisions perfect thats why I'm wondering Schecter also , I'm pretty sure PRS wont put on my face a sad face but I dont wanna stay any other guitar in my mind.Just the one I want...Thank you :)

Indeed I like PRS too.Its gonna be my first guitar (apart from acoustics) and I want to make my decisions right , I dont wanna say wish I bought the other one after I buy the guitar...Therefore I need advices that make my decisions perfect thats why I'm wondering Schecter also , I'm pretty sure PRS wont put on my face a sad face but I dont wanna stay any other guitar in my mind.Just the one I want...Thank you :)

Some people spend their entire life trying to find the "one" guitar. Some find it, some don't.

You have to start somewhere and to start with qood quality is the better idea, when possible.

Back