Advice: PRS SE Paul's buzzing

cgh

I recently bought a PRS SE Paul's, and noticed buzzing when not touching metal. I have a fender champion 40, and a cheap multi-effects pedal- some patches/amp settings produce buzzing, some don't. I took it to a guitar store for a diagnostic and they said it surely wasn't the guitar's problem. The guitar does have hot pickups, which they said contributes to the issue. Does anyone know if the buzzing will be minimized if I upgrade to a midrange amp and/or midrange pedal? Any other advice is welcome.

There may be ambient RF In your guitar area. Turn around slowly in a circle while not touching metal and see if the buzz increases or decreases.

I also agree with testing on another amp. Good luck the SE Paul's its a monster guitar!

I had the same issue with an SE Paul's. Seemed to be location dependent; noticeable at my house, really bad at my neighbor's house, completely quiet at the tech's shop and at lessons ( same amp). So I chalked it up to "dirty power". Reply from PRS Support stated that a bit of hum or buzz was not abnormal as the pickups weren't completely noiseless.

Thanks for all the replies. It does seem to be location dependent, my same exact setup was not as bad at the shop. Does anyone know if shielding would be worth time/money?

The SE Paul's has shielding paint in the pickup and control cavities, more shielding may help but unlikely IMHO. I don't have a good suggestion...it could be a fluorescent light or a bad outlet too RF is a difficult beast to eradicate!

If the buzzing goes away when you touch the strings, it's environmental. Shielding can only do so much in a noisy environment.

Back