advice please...first PRS

Diceys

Hello
I have some money due to arrive soon and want to buy my first PRS
I want to spend approx 2.5k
I have looked at the Thinlines and also at a Hollowbody. I saw a Vintage white with a wood faced headstock (not the normal white one) but cannot find anywhere so if any of you guys know a reference for it that would be great.
I am unsure whether to go for a CE or an S2 but like the idea of a lighter guitar this time around. I don't gig so its strictly for home use, Humbucker are the preference and the simplest operating system too as I am no expert on pickup etc.
I play a Fender ultra and love its fairly thin neck so that's preferable but a little thicker is ok too

oops I forgot to say that there is nowhere near me where I can try these out so I will be ordering online...another first for me! No piezo type either as they look to complicated for my taste!

oops I forgot to say that there is nowhere near me where I can try these out so I will be ordering online...another first for me! No piezo type either as they look to complicated for my taste!
Piezo is your choice, but as a user, it isn’t complicated at all. I like the extra tonal variety it adds to the guitar.

if you don't know what you want then the answer is probably the Custom 24.. its is after all, THE PRS guitar...

It may be wise however to get a used PRS SE guitar to see if you gel with a particular model for neck, and ergonomics.. then wait patiently for a nice used USA built core model to come around..

I was at a store yesterday, C&M Music, in Louisiana who had 3 or 4 of the S2 594 Thin line models. Played well and was very light.

Last edited:
You've got quite a few options which meet all your preferences. As you say, 594 Thinline is a good option but you might not like the 2Vols/2Tones. The CEs keep it simple from a control perspective, plus there's a semi-hollow version if weight is a main concern.

Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of simple controls but also like to have it light as well so will really need to get a try of one of them
The CE sounds like it ticks the box’s but the thin line looks great too! I saw a white thin line with a dark wood headstock and not the normal white one but cannot see it anywhere now online. One thing I just don’t like on the PRS is the coloured headstock so if possible I will get that part right as well although it’s a minor thing

Be sure to consider the Vela, solid or semi-hollow! For $1749 it is a very versatile, light and comfortable guitar from what I understand!! I love my HBII and have thought about getting an SE version for playing out!!! Best of luck on your search!!!!

Be sure to consider the Vela, solid or semi-hollow! For $1749 it is a very versatile, light and comfortable guitar from what I understand!! I love my HBII and have thought about getting an SE version for playing out!!! Best of luck on your search!!!!

Velas are magical. Lightweight tone machines. You can't go wrong with either the Solidbody or the Semi-Hollow, but the best bet is to just buy both because they're awesome. :D

I may have a Veladdiction....

I just bought a CE after playing an SE Custom 24 and falling in love with the feel. I wanted as close to a core model as I could afford, and let me tell you, the CE isn't it for me. It's a great guitar, no denying that. The pickups, if nothing else, are super powerful. I'm gonna give this guitar a few more weeks to try out with some lighter strings, but I'm thinking I'll downgrade to an S2, or a SE custom 24 and swap out the pickups.

The CE is such a different tone than the Custom 24. I find it hard to believe the difference is the neck wood, and that it's a bolt-on, but it's more than just snappy. It's got a very transparent, bright tone to it. I had to crank the mids and bass on my amp to compensate. But it was a whole new world for me. I ended up removing my pedals and tuning just the amp channels. It's just too bright for me. I like a Les Paul, and a Tele sound. This guitar didn't quite get either of those, though it would be closest to a les paul 2HH sound. The pattern thin neck isn't quite as comfortable to me as the wide-thin neck I played on an SE.

Try to find some shops with each of the guitars, and try them out.

I just bought a CE after playing an SE Custom 24 and falling in love with the feel. I wanted as close to a core model as I could afford, and let me tell you, the CE isn't it for me. It's a great guitar, no denying that. The pickups, if nothing else, are super powerful. I'm gonna give this guitar a few more weeks to try out with some lighter strings, but I'm thinking I'll downgrade to an S2, or a SE custom 24 and swap out the pickups.

The CE is such a different tone than the Custom 24. I find it hard to believe the difference is the neck wood, and that it's a bolt-on, but it's more than just snappy. It's got a very transparent, bright tone to it. I had to crank the mids and bass on my amp to compensate. But it was a whole new world for me. I ended up removing my pedals and tuning just the amp channels. It's just too bright for me. I like a Les Paul, and a Tele sound. This guitar didn't quite get either of those, though it would be closest to a les paul 2HH sound. The pattern thin neck isn't quite as comfortable to me as the wide-thin neck I played on an SE.

Try to find some shops with each of the guitars, and try them out.
Start with your volume on 7 or 8, one of the things many don't realize about playing PRS guitars. Then if the tone knob doesn't do enough for your perceived brightness, lower the pickups. If you tried all that then I apologize.

594. GO.

The weight will have to do with the trees that provided the wood (except for hollow bodies). Most listings include the weight, so if you don't see it listed, you can ask.

If you want a two knob layout (nothing wrong with that), go CU22 or McCarty. Or 24 if you like the access, but I like the neck pickup position and tone on the CU22 better.

There are lots of deals to be had out there on used Custom 24's in the stated price range. If you want to go for something new, it's hard to go wrong with a CE 24 solid or semi-hollow. The S2 Custom 24's are great guitars and serve as a nice modding platform, and for some extra tonal flexibility, it's tough to beat the S2 Custom 24-08.

Start with your volume on 7 or 8, one of the things many don't realize about playing PRS guitars. Then if the tone knob doesn't do enough for your perceived brightness, lower the pickups. If you tried all that then I apologize.
I'm going to try that out, thanks!

thanks for all that guys
I am down to a thinline 594 or CE 24 hollow body Hollowbody for lightness seems to be winning for me ... I love the thinline white but hate the white headstock and those tuners,,,wish all the headstocks were plain black or some timber like rosewood but that's me being a bit fussy!

Dont forget used on Reverb etc. You might be able to move up a category if you find a used one you like.

Hello there
just thought I would update you guys after all the help you gave me re choice of PRS. So I tried a ce 24 bolt on semi hollow and also a 594 but liked the bolt on neck better and also its matt finish. Are the bolt ons the only ones with satin necks?? It was a really nice guitar and also quite light which is great,
So the upsides
Satin neck
Not too thick neck
Simple controls
Seems to tick all the boxes ..
Thanks

Back