Advice (Or Not)

IKnowALittle

As the resident curmudgeon, I've noticed lately in the posts, that a lot of guys aren't as proficient as I believed. Nothing wrong with that, we all have to learn.
I've always maintained that the only way to get really good on an instrument is to play in a working, gigging band, that plays a lot, not just three or four times a year. Much easier said than done now.

For those that want to improve their ability to play the blues, check this out. A masterpiece of subtlety and incredible talent, yet very accessible.

Anywho, had lots more to say, but discretion precludes many other observations, which are only attributable to myself.

That’s Eric, to me. Say it with style and and as few words as necessary. And make it look like it ain’t no thang.

Back in my beginning, I copped his left hand positioning because it looked like he was comfortable and not moving as much as others to do the same thing. Still use it now under certain circumstances. Highly recommended, as are any other techniques of his. There are worse mentors.

The good news for me is that I can play that keyboard part, so at least there’s something! ;)

But IKnowALittle is totally right. Unless you’re playing a lot, eventually you’re going to lose your chops or never get them in the first place.

I can feel it when I play with other people, even though I play every day and record a bunch of my own stuff. It takes a while for the rust to fall off.

The good news for me is that I can play that keyboard part, so at least there’s something! ;)

But IKnowALittle is totally right. Unless you’re playing a lot, eventually you’re going to lose your chops or never get them in the first place.

I can feel it when I play with other people, even though I play every day and record a bunch of my own stuff. It takes a while for the rust to fall off.
But I’m sure it eventually falls off. If the tape wasn’t rolling and no one was judging, you’d be up to speed in no time...guaranteed!

I always thought that I was a pretty cool, pretty good guitar player......until I joined a band. Yeah. (This was many years ago, by the way). I didn't realize what hard work was. But then, I have to say, the reward for hanging in and giving the hard work, is/was fabulous. It is truly an other-worldly feeling to play in a group. And the bands I played in were just regular old blues and cover bands but soooo much fun and satisfaction. I'm still a cr@p guitar player but way less cr@p than I was because of playing with other people. I miss those days!

Yeah, I can testify to the "use it or lose it" advise. It's been years since I've played live and rust doesn't even come close to describing it. I don't play complete songs anymore, just my favorite riffs and I honestly don't know if I could get through a song without hand cramps...:(

I cant view the vid. Something about copyright?
Probably seen it elsewhereTBH though.

Do I want to improve my blues chops? It seems arrogant & churlish to say no, but its at the bottom of my list nevertheless.

Yeah, I can testify to the "use it or lose it" advise. It's been years since I've played live and rust doesn't even come close to describing it. I don't play complete songs anymore, just my favorite riffs and I honestly don't know if I could get through a song without hand cramps...:(

This is where doing tv commercials is very handy; after 30 seconds, the party’s over, and it’s time for your favorite beverage. :)

Back