Advice on changing the color of your guitar

The Viking Gangster

I have a black cherry P245, however, I think I would like a McCarty Burst or a Honey finish with a nature back and neck.

Has anybody tried something similar with their guitar using PTC? Were there any issues?

I really love the way the guitar plays and sounds. Maybe I'm a little over couscous, but I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks

I just went through this last month. I enquired about a refinish on a whale blue cu22. Here are some things I learned in the process:
- You'll need to pick a current production or Artist Pack color, or a past production or AP color. No PS colors. So, for example, you couldn't do something with a Dragons Glow finish. Hit up the current product list for the AP colors. There are a lot of cool ones to pick from
- You need to pick a color that isn't too far from the original. That may not sound right, but you can't go from whale blue to honey burst because they may not be able to get all of the original off. In my case, that color change could have resulted in some greenish areas.
- It isn't cheap. Be prepared to pay for it. Make sure your guitar is a keeper before you decide to drop that kind of cash on it.
- Be willing to let go of it for a considerable amount of time. I got a timeframe of 15 weeks.
- Fill out the form on the PTC section of the PRS site. I was contacted the next day. Over about a week of back and forth settled on a finish, and some other goodies. Off it went. I should have it back in July.

Good luck!

I have a black cherry P245, however, I think I would like a McCarty Burst or a Honey finish with a nature back and neck.

Has anybody tried something similar with their guitar using PTC? Were there any issues?

I really love the way the guitar plays and sounds. Maybe I'm a little over couscous, but I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks

Yes.
Have a lot of money in your pocket.
Don't ask for any Private Stock colors. Stick to current model year colors for your request.

Thanks everybody. It was informative.

I can see going from a dark stain to a lighter one would be difficult.

I don't think I want to drop the cash and the time away from my guitar right now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
From my personal experience, I would not change colors on a guitar once it is painted. You will never gain back the invested money you put into the change, and as mentioned earlier here, you may not get the exact color you desire.

I would sell the guitar you currently own to buy the one in the color you desire, or just keep the guitar you currently have as is. ymmv

Back