Advice on best modeling amps

So, if it perfectly models real amps, how come they need to come out with a new version? :)

I would be down if they came out with a version that doesn’t model an amp, but just allows you to load in the already modeled amps. Gotta be way cheaper to eliminate the part that does the magic and just allow you to buy the part that plays the patches or software versions of amps?!? I am guessing most people don’t use that part of a Kemper anyways?

My question for OP, you say not so small it rules out beefy tones or volumes. This rules out a couple popular suggestions, like the Yamaha. We have some room to work with here, unlike the other thread where the OP asked for "kids asleep volume. So, how much volume do you need?

Yes, Les likes to recommend tube amps for one reason. They ARE better. If you can turn them up a little. Here is the other side of that for most intro to intermediate level players. Get a tube amp and you quickly find out you want a verb, delay, chorus, etc., etc.... more money, more choices, more everything. The modeling amps have all this built in. So while "option paralysis" was brought up, and can be legit if you let yourself get caught up in it. it's no different with tube amps. Will this speaker sound better with my amp? Which delay, verb, chorus, phaser, booster, overdrive, etc... pedals do I buy? Then when you buy them, you still wonder what is better. Digital amp or modeler can actually be a blessing in this regard, because while there is plenty to mess with, at least you won't be just another member of the The Gear Page Pedal Flippers Club.

I wouldn't suggest anything without knowing your volume level needs. Max, minimum and normal volumes you need to be able to play at.

I would be down if they came out with a version that doesn’t model an amp, but just allows you to load in the already modeled amps. Gotta be way cheaper to eliminate the part that does the magic and just allow you to buy the part that plays the patches or software versions of amps?!? I am guessing most people don’t use that part of a Kemper anyways?

Agreed! I had mine for 2 years and never even tried to model any of my amps. I cant really remember why. Probably because there were so many professional people out there that had already done it. Also, when I got mine it didn't have the built in amp which I wish it did. The next version will hopefully have a stereo amp in it. I didn't want to keep buying power amps or powered speakers to try them out. I had a Yamaha DXR10 and hated it.

that's interesting, the DXR is very highly rated and much loved in the modeling forums at TGP. In fact, I was thinking I'd get a pair down the road...

My question for OP, you say not so small it rules out beefy tones or volumes. This rules out a couple popular suggestions, like the Yamaha. We have some room to work with here, unlike the other thread where the OP asked for "kids asleep volume. So, how much volume do you need?

I wouldn't suggest anything without knowing your volume level needs. Max, minimum and normal volumes you need to be able to play at.
I guess I should clarify that a bit. I should also preface that I haven't actually listened to any of smaller modeling amps... live, in a room. So I really only know how a few of them sound based on internet videos.

My assumption is that the smaller amps probably can't achieve the rich, beefy, full tones that the medium to larger amps can produce. But I acknowledge that this may be an incorrect assumption, and perhaps some of the really small ones are capable of sounding full and big. I guess you could say that my fear is that small amps will sound.... small. (all treble and boxed in... if that makes sense)

It's not so much "volume" that I'm concerned with, as much as fullness, and richness of tone. (does that mean more mid and bass tone?)
I don't think I'll be cranking it up loud enough for my neighbors to hear, but if I ever did... I would like for it to be able to be heard.

In all likelihood, most of the time I'll probably be playing in another room, or in my garage while my family is asleep. So probably low volumes and headphones 80 - 90% of the time. Maybe the occasional semi-cranked up when no one else is home.

I suppose a medium size modeling amp is probably what I'm describing. Like the Katana 50 or 100, or other similar size amps.

Don’t believe him. He can’t hear a damn thing. :rolleyes:

Yet another reason why modeling amps are the Spawn of Satan! ;)

You can go out and buy a 60 year old tube amp and make it work. And it will sound like a real tube amp.

“But a tube amp only does one amp, Les.”

“That, sir, is the beauty of it.”
You'll NEVER catch me crapping on a nice tube amp my good man. A properly (read subjective per person) dialed in tube amp is manna from heaven.

Yes, imagine that built in to the existing foot controller.:eek:

I think my problem with it was that I needed a pair of them. I
Interesting, and like so many things I guess it just comes down to being subjective.
I tried (maybe not hard enough) to run the Kemper through both my combo amps' effects in to no avail. Had the cab emulation off of course.
The DXR10 was instantly gratifying for me and the profiles I like. Of course some tweaking was required, and also placement/orientation of the speaker.
I've tried wedge, and vertical on the floor, but vertical and raised up a couple of feet is where it's at for me at this time.
I am now getting increased dispersion across the stage, good penetration deep into the room, excellent sonic separation from the other guitar player, and increased versatility.
Pretty darn good so far.:)

I guess I should clarify that a bit. I should also preface that I haven't actually listened to any of smaller modeling amps... live, in a room. So I really only know how a few of them sound based on internet videos.

My assumption is that the smaller amps probably can't achieve the rich, beefy, full tones that the medium to larger amps can produce. But I acknowledge that this may be an incorrect assumption, and perhaps some of the really small ones are capable of sounding full and big. I guess you could say that my fear is that small amps will sound.... small. (all treble and boxed in... if that makes sense)

It's not so much "volume" that I'm concerned with, as much as fullness, and richness of tone. (does that mean more mid and bass tone?)
I don't think I'll be cranking it up loud enough for my neighbors to hear, but if I ever did... I would like for it to be able to be heard.

In all likelihood, most of the time I'll probably be playing in another room, or in my garage while my family is asleep. So probably low volumes and headphones 80 - 90% of the time. Maybe the occasional semi-cranked up when no one else is home.

I suppose a medium size modeling amp is probably what I'm describing. Like the Katana 50 or 100, or other similar size amps.
I agree with others who have recommended the Yamaha THR. Mark from Periphery uses this quite often, and gets very big and nice tones from it! You can find some youtube videos of him with it.

Kevin

I know it sounds very good at low volumes. I only recommended otherwise because he was saying he needed "bigger" tones and maybe more volume at times.

Being that I have practically zero experience with guitars and amps... I can't really say I know for certain exactly what it is that I want. I only know what I "think" it is that I want. Heh, if that makes any sense.

I say bigger tones and more volume... but I have no real conception of that, because I might hear the Yamaha THR and think... damn, that sounds great, and it's good enough.

I know the most important thing for me to do is go to the music stores and listen to each potential candidate amp.

But I guess what I'm asking from you guys, is some advice to help narrow down and pinpoint the search, preferably to perhaps 4 or 5 candidates.

And I do appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Being that I have practically zero experience with guitars and amps... I can't really say I know for certain exactly what it is that I want. I only know what I "think" it is that I want. Heh, if that makes any sense.

I say bigger tones and more volume... but I have no real conception of that, because I might hear the Yamaha THR and think... damn, that sounds great, and it's good enough.

I know the most important thing for me to do is go to the music stores and listen to each potential candidate amp.

But I guess what I'm asking from you guys, is some advice to help narrow down and pinpoint the search, preferably to perhaps 4 or 5 candidates.

And I do appreciate all the advice and suggestions.
What store are you close to that you might have choices? Let's look and see what they've got.

Hmm, I don't know all of the music stores in Houston, but here's a few.

There are more than a few Guitar Centers, of course.
Fuller's Guitars
H & H
Evan's Music City
Southpaw guitars
Infinity Guitars
Fort Bend music center
Rockin Robin Guitars
Sam Ash

I'd venture to say there are probably at least 20 more stores than that too. Houston is pretty big.

But I hope I won't have to drive around to too many stores. Hopefully my short list will be available at 3 or 4 different stores.

The THR5/10 will fill a living room surprisingly well if it's cranked all the way up. I like the first four amp patches so much that I actually had to force myself to start using my Egnater again when the wife is out. The onboard effects are pretty decent, too, though I do find the reverbs a bit muddy. If the hardware knobs don't quite get the tone you want, you can plug your laptop or tablet into it and tweak it to your heart's content using Yamaha's apps. Anything bigger than a living room, though, and the THR will finally start to sound how it looks. Both the THR5 and THR10 are 10 watts RMS solid state, so it'd probably be able to hang with a drummer if it had a 1/4" TR out to plug in an extension cab. Those little 3.5" hi fi speakers can't quite pull that off, though. I'd buy a second THR in a minute if they ever add a TR out.

That said, definitely try out the Boss Katana, too. I'm personally afraid to, because it would probably lead to another impulse buy and for that money I could just about get the Belle Epoch Pro I've been lusting after.

Back