Advice on best modeling amps

cmutt

I'm planning to get my 1st guitar in the near future, and it will definitely be a PRS, although I haven't decided on which model yet. (I'm 47 yrs old)

I still have two young children, and my time and budget are limited. So I'm going to be a den or garage player for the most part, just practicing and playing around whenever I can.

I listen to mainly classic hard rock, and although I like quite a few guitar players... my favorite guitar player is Alex Lifeson... and Rush is my favorite band. Their music, and his guitar playing just seems to have always moved me the most.

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar, but for whatever reasons, I never did.
But the past 3-4 years I've noticed that I just feel a much stronger desire for it. Better late than never right?

Anyhow, I've done a little bit of research, and a little bit of youtube watching to learn about some of the modeling amps on the market, which has been pretty informative. But I'd also like to know the opinions of some PRS players on what modeling amps you'd recommend, and why.

Taking this into consideration: I'll probably be spending most of my practicing time trying to learn Rush/Lifeson stuff, and trying to match his sounds and tone. (I know... good luck, right)

Any advice and/or thoughts are appreciated.

Depending on your budget there is so much out there

If you want something you can grow into and willing to spend some $$ a Mesa MKV - 25 or 35 would be killer

The Yahama and Boss mentioned above

and do not discount the Roland Cube amps great price for a lot of amp ( I have a Cube 15 for noodling at the office )

There is also I-Rig and Amplitude4 that could be used

I just went trough this with another late-in-life starting guitarist. He wound up picking up one of those new Fender Mustang 40 amps after I steered him that way. They're more of a guitar entrainment system than an amp, in a way, which is why I suggested it. Basically a modern day boombox with a modeler built in, looper, bluetooth so you can beam lessons and backing tracks from Youtube from your phone. $250... I kinda want one for upstairs.

I think it'd last a lot longer too. Like, you'd still keep it for foolin' around and travel after you graduated to buying a tube amp.

What's your budget?
The Yamaha and Boss are super bang for buck entries that's for sure.
On the "kicking it up a notch" scale you might look at separating the modeler from the amp.
Examples would be Atomic Amplifire series, Helix, Kemper, and then some sort of amplified speaker to go with it like Yamaha DXR10, or QSC K10, or Alto TS 210. This may be over the top for starting out, but allows you to be in a band situation without the need to upgrade later.
Definitely the Yamaha THR and Boss Katana would get the job done for learning/practicing though.
We live in a great time for digital gear.

Here's a great demo on a few smaller amps that may be exactly what you're looking for. I liked the Vox best:

I'm loving my Katana 100 1x12. I crank the Master at 0.5w and get its faux 'power amp saturation' at reasonable volumes.

And they just added some key features this month via firmware upgrade, something Fender didn't do much of when I had a Mustang.
I found with the Mustang I got into option paralysis...

I loved my Kemper. Only sold it because I thought a new one was coming out. Still waiting......

I loved my Kemper. Only sold it because I thought a new one was coming out. Still waiting......

So, if it perfectly models real amps, how come they need to come out with a new version? ;)

If you’re a beginner, it doesn’t much matter which amp or amp modeler you get. You’re going to be equally frustrated with your playing on any/all of them for a while.

But stick with it. Playing gets enjoyable once you reach a certain stage, and it doesn’t take all that long, though it’ll be...well, let’s say a while...before you’re going to sound anything at all like your guitar heroes, especially a player like Lifeson.

By the time you’re ready to play the music you like, your tastes in an amp will change anyway,,, and you may even be interested in a real, big-boy, tube amp! :)

I just went trough this with another late-in-life starting guitarist. He wound up picking up one of those new Fender Mustang 40 amps after I steered him that way. They're more of a guitar entrainment system than an amp, in a way, which is why I suggested it. Basically a modern day boombox with a modeler built in, looper, bluetooth so you can beam lessons and backing tracks from Youtube from your phone. $250... I kinda want one for upstairs.

I think it'd last a lot longer too. Like, you'd still keep it for foolin' around and travel after you graduated to buying a tube amp.

Solid advice, that would be my first recommendation as well due to the suite of beginner-friendly features. That or something comparable - e.g. a venerable little Yamaha THR - will keep the price down and help minimize the steep learning curve.

The Helix/Profiler/POD route is not something I'd torture new players with.

Yamaha THR is really good for what it is, and it is just about as user friendly as modeling gets. I have a THR5 that I use a lot in the living room, would be fine in the den too. In the garage you could probably get away with a low wattage tube amp. I haven't tried the Boss Katana yet, but there's an awful lot of positive buzz going. I am personally intrigued by the analog gain and tone stack stages the Katana literature mentions, that reminds me of the approach amp-in-a-box pedal designers like Wampler and Catalinbread take. Happy hunting!

What's your budget?
The Yamaha and Boss are super bang for buck entries that's for sure.
On the "kicking it up a notch" scale you might look at separating the modeler from the amp.
Examples would be Atomic Amplifire series, Helix, Kemper, and then some sort of amplified speaker to go with it like Yamaha DXR10, or QSC K10, or Alto TS 210. This may be over the top for starting out, but allows you to be in a band situation without the need to upgrade later.
Definitely the Yamaha THR and Boss Katana would get the job done for learning/practicing though.
We live in a great time for digital gear.
I'm pretty sure my budget will be somewhere in this ballpark range.
PRS guitar : $500 - $1000
Modeling amp : $250 - $400

It would probably be better for me if the amp is pretty simple to setup and use, because I probably won't have hours upon hours to noodle around with sounds and tones, before I actually get to practicing. If the interface is overly complicated that would probably also be a detriment to my time and enthusiasm. I have a feeling most of my productive practicing and playing around is going to be once my wife and kids go to sleep.

In a nutshell, this is what I'm hoping for:
Guitar:
- one that looks good to me (for motivation and enthusiasm), and also feels comfortable in my hands (to enhance and ease my learning process)

Modeling Amp:
- an amp that is fairly simple and easy to use
- not so small that it can't ever produce any meaty of beefy tones or volumes
- but not so large that it's too big and cumbersome to fit in a small room or garage, and too heavy to lug around
- has most of the basic necessities in terms of effects, tones, etc.
- headphone output
- I'm not into the hardcore heavy metal tones very much, nor am I into country or rock-a-billy sounds either.
- I lean more towards the EVH, Page, Gilmour, Clapton, Slash, etc., etc. types of rock tones.

and most important...
- an amp that can get close to as many of Alex Lifeson's tones and sounds as possible! (heh, wishful thinking)

I think that pretty much sums up what I'm after.

If you’re a beginner, it doesn’t much matter which amp or amp modeler you get. You’re going to be equally frustrated with your playing on any/all of them for a while.

But stick with it. Playing gets enjoyable once you reach a certain stage, and it doesn’t take all that long, though it’ll be...well, let’s say a while...before you’re going to sound anything at all like your guitar heroes, especially a player like Lifeson.

By the time you’re ready to play the music you like, your tastes in an amp will change anyway,,, and you may even be interested in a real, big-boy, tube amp! :)
That's a very good point, and it's something I've thought about as well. It could take me years just to make a decent noise on the guitar, that won't make anyone cringe.

And I know that's a definite reality, especially at an older age, with less free time for practice. But I'm hoping that my motivation and desire will continue to grow and thrive. And I'm hoping that with all of the resources at our disposal these days, my learning process won't be too depressing or demoralizing. If I can make it to the point where I can somewhat achieve 1 cool lick, or 1 favorite riff.... then I hope that will feel great enough to fuel me on further. I would love to be able to play along with one of my favorite Rush songs... and know that I'm playing it close to correct, and maybe even close to getting the right sound and tone.
I think that would make me feel great.

At least that's what I'm hoping for. We'll see.

That's a very good point, and it's something I've thought about as well. It could take me years just to make a decent noise on the guitar, that won't make anyone cringe.

And I know that's a definite reality, especially at an older age, with less free time for practice. But I'm hoping that my motivation and desire will continue to grow and thrive. And I'm hoping that with all of the resources at our disposal these days, my learning process won't be too depressing or demoralizing. If I can make it to the point where I can somewhat achieve 1 cool lick, or 1 favorite riff.... then I hope that will feel great enough to fuel me on further. I would love to be able to play along with one of my favorite Rush songs... and know that I'm playing it close to correct, and maybe even close to getting the right sound and tone.
I think that would make me feel great.

At least that's what I'm hoping for. We'll see.
I’ve played for a year or two and don’t consider a show complete without making *someone* cringe. :D (granted, it’s usually because of feedback a$$hattery or such foolishness)

I'm pretty sure my budget will be somewhere in this ballpark range.
PRS guitar : $500 - $1000
Modeling amp : $250 - $400

It would probably be better for me if the amp is pretty simple to setup and use, because I probably won't have hours upon hours to noodle around with sounds and tones, before I actually get to practicing. If the interface is overly complicated that would probably also be a detriment to my time and enthusiasm. I have a feeling most of my productive practicing and playing around is going to be once my wife and kids go to sleep.

In a nutshell, this is what I'm hoping for:
Guitar:
- one that looks good to me (for motivation and enthusiasm), and also feels comfortable in my hands (to enhance and ease my learning process)

Modeling Amp:
- an amp that is fairly simple and easy to use
- not so small that it can't ever produce any meaty of beefy tones or volumes
- but not so large that it's too big and cumbersome to fit in a small room or garage, and too heavy to lug around
- has most of the basic necessities in terms of effects, tones, etc.
- headphone output
- I'm not into the hardcore heavy metal tones very much, nor am I into country or rock-a-billy sounds either.
- I lean more towards the EVH, Page, Gilmour, Clapton, Slash, etc., etc. types of rock tones.

and most important...
- an amp that can get close to as many of Alex Lifeson's tones and sounds as possible! (heh, wishful thinking)

I think that pretty much sums up what I'm after.

You've really described the Yamaha THR10 amp. And as an added benefit, it also runs on batteries for ultra portability.

Skip the heavy tube amp. a lot of backing tracks on line and get a looper.
might be on the same page. i'm late for a life also i grew up in the 60s garage band erra with a mosrite and an ampeg amp with xtra speakers 4-15 JBL 's played in bands while i was in the service in the us and germany, even a country band.
regardless last year i bought a mustang IV v2. love it i'm now 70 and can make all kind of noise in the basement with my 7 PRS guitars.
of course I always wanted a fender vibroverb like my buddy Glen SCHWARTS. and bill Jerek .

And no matter what Les says, the Kemper is that good. :D

Don’t believe him. He can’t hear a damn thing. :rolleyes:

Because nobody makes the same electronic components forever, at least not anymore?

Yet another reason why modeling amps are the Spawn of Satan! ;)

You can go out and buy a 60 year old tube amp and make it work. And it will sound like a real tube amp.

“But a tube amp only does one amp, Les.”

“That, sir, is the beauty of it.”

Last edited:
Back