Advice for Putting PRS P90's in an '08 SE Custom (24)

RobCarter37

So I just scored a used set of PRS P90's for $40 on eBay. Can I just put them right into my '08 Custom SE or are there other factors I need to consider (change the pots etc.)? I LOVE P90s but my wife asked me not to purchase a soapbar ii or single cut only a month after picking up this one.

Love P-90s...if from a USA PRS, probably Seymour Duncans...but either way, great pick ups...should be able to download a wiring diagram from PRS support page...look up McCarty Soapbar wiring.

You'll probably have to enlarge the holes a bit, and the get some adapter/slop rings to cover up the other holes. P-90's aren't the same size as 'buckers.

Is your SE Cu24 built for P90's? I'm thinking it's a humbucker supplied Custom. In this case the P90's will be smaller than the cavities of the guitar. You can still use them. You will need to find or make adapter rings for them.

Yes it is humbucker equipped. I wonder if anyone makes some thing like that for this application (the spacers). Guess I'll Google it! Thanks guys.

Don't the P90's screw directly into the body? The bottom of the cavity?

P-90's are narrower but longer than humbuckers. You'll end up needing to rout the existing cavities for the length but you'll end up with gaps on the sides. It won't be pretty.

I assume those are SE P-90s you got? You scored them for a good price, so you may want to flip them and make a little money or at least get your $40 back. Then you can buy a set of HB sized P-90's that will drop right in.

Back