advice for autograph risk of rubbing off

Lockdownx99

So, last night I got to hang out with Mark Tremonti and do the whole artist session thing. We played some guitar, toured his rig and got to hang out for sound check. It was pretty awesome being the only person watching aside from the engineers and the tech doing various things.

Anyways, I got him to sign the back of the headstock with a silver paint pen and I guess I didn't take into account that his signature might overflow into the neck a bit. I tested the pen on various surfaces resembling the surface of the guitar and all tests went well. Very resilient to running and scratching however, After seeing the signature I'm a little skeptical about it. I was able to rub off a very small portion with just a few swipes of my finger. Not scratching it with my nail but simply rubbing it with the pad of my finger. I only tested it because it's very possible for the webbing of my finger between my thumb and pointer will come into contact with it on a regular basis.

So, What should I do now? Should I just wipe it all off and plan on meetin him the next time around? Or should I just let it wear naturally? Part of me wants to just rub it off and start over. Another part of feels I should just let whatever rubs off, rub off and leave the rest.

If you really want it to be permanent you could put something over it to protect it, but I don't know exactly what would look good and work well. Hopefully someone with experience doing that will post, otherwise I'm sure an Internet search would turn up some advise.

I've got Paul Reed Smith's sig on the back of my 2011 MC58 headstock in gold paint pen and it looks like new even 4 year's later. It's on the back between the tuners and at little risk of rubbing off as I really don't fiddle back in that area. So I'm leaving it well enough alone and if somehow it gets worn away, so be it. But I highly doubt it will.

I also got Davy Knowles to sign my backplate with a silver paint pen. Had it on the guitar until I noticed the first sign of wear. Then I ordered a replacement backplate and stashed my autographed one.

Honestly the back of the headstock is probably the single most "protected" place for an autograph short of the inside surface of a backplate which nobody would ever see. I'm interested in others suggestions/advice, but I guess my suggestion would be to leave the current signature alone then order a spare backplate and have Mark sign that for you.

My $.02

Yeah I have seen Paul's signature numerous times on the back of the headstock so I thought that would be a fine place to put it. However, I guess Mark signed a little too big and the signature overflowed to the neck just behind the first fret so to speak. It's not that big of a deal I guess. I would like to keep it but I'm the type of person that would rather have it all or none. If it got partially worn I would be tempted to just remove it. I'll leave it for now. I'll just let it wear naturally. A partial signature is better than no signature I guess.

A partial signature is better than no signature I guess.

Totally. It's a memento of that time you chilled with Mark Tremonti.

I'll tell you what NOT to do: spray nitro over it. I had Eric Johnson sign my Strat headstock way back when. The Sharpie started rubbing off, so I thought I'd give it a clear coat to protect it. I had rattle can nitro around, so I sprayed it. Big mistake. The ink reacted with nitro and bled pretty badly. Oh well. It's still a memento of that time I met Eric Johnson!

True that. I'll keep it. Next time he comes around I plan on getting him to sign the interior of the term cavity or something that can remain 100% intact. Maybe I'll have a second or third guitar for him to sing by then as well. Lol.

Writing on wood, tststs.
If you want to conserve it/prevent it from being swept away you could protect the signature by either put some transparent gloss coating above it (likewise special coating spray for wood) or put the guitar behind glass.
I met John Petrucci at a GC, where I was with a technical request with my guitar. I wanted him to sign one aluminum backplate of my guitar. I met (planned) UK´s Blues guitarist Aynsley Lister at one of his gigs touring European continent in 2014. He signed the other aluminum backplate. The fundation ist critical for any protection coating by DIY. You need to be carefull.

I attended to Musik Messe 2014. I know one of the European sales guys of PRS Europe. He offered an appointment with Paul at the PRS booth. You aren´t allowed to bring instruments into the exhibition being visitor. At least I took the two backplates of my PRS with me, and, of course, golden pens. First I "collidaded" with Greg Koch, for me known as the presenter of the trader, where I bought my PRS, Wildwood Guitars. He was so kind signing the backplate of the spring cavity.
Then I headed to PRS booth, but Paul was sneaking around on the exhibition area. I was told to come back later in the afternoon.

So I walked around aswell. After taking some time for the acoustic guitar booths, I was about to return to PRS booth. I took the escalator to get to the ground floor. And on this line I met Paul.
We had some nice small talk, he wanted to know how I make my living, if I play a PRS, which model. Outside the building we sat down on the concrete blocks and exchanged words. I asked him to sign
my backplate. Then he inviteted me to come with him to the booth. On the way to the booth we discussed the 513 model. I asked if any improvements are to be implemented. And in the end he
presented me a modification update of my 513. But this is an other story.

7vwuXoj3eK6fbjHH_pd4OFIGCFEBWSuNQj9eSl97LF_PshrpFb7YDRKpSRAs6zZGAyPB0U-RBRim4EHFAPzf9JJss1haXhohGECQET_Q_jbNE0Oojle-2hSXGOATKkFkGkSbmDJGmj_9_M_VZIq9LWEqYcAioH_IpGyzXDkaWjv0M5EprqKhRWRdg2C7B1NWPIDKenDqkQrFgxHDx-dOEobC_wwgFFs1Ux64uZJiTvQSOAODUxjuGVBLWwz9JV9GvLBdlPoxiP4DAowhevxV6o1CgMbaijCIPpqtr4SWXcD-VamCUdf1OYnt9XQcdwFD8CtHUPo7-toUxGpIAKt56IFZE-YqxO1qjR_FFk21Ip5MCL3NKTN0ESjPVZd8--UsO1LgemkPVAlCtZxS0uEVhpddwHtWA3etQTmytyGr-PxuFcqwjpeu4fatgF24gUicKG-0OLmpfXgvytbMUJFLnUXu9ZpL8cz-ra1GY1FuRcFLE3VksMfnOql4UmUh4NZfbQ22G4tvWN_PILkR2E44RsHaoRQ4t7Jfh9SyUtK2-2o=w1292-h969-no

To prevent the autographs from being rubbed off I bought transparent modelbuilding coating spray recommended for plastic surfaces. I sprayed on two layers of coating.
But the first layer has to be sprayed from a higher distance as recommended by the manual, because you risk a certain glazing. Dry the layer. For the next layer you are free to take a shorter distance.
Pros are capable to make it glossy, matt or satin.

If you make your idol sign on your guitar on wooden (but coated) surfaces, choose the center position of the headstock backside, every other position with "impact potential" of belly, arms, hands, finger, sweat contact is crap without additional protection.
If you want to protect autographs DIY, then take a plastic surface.

i use rustoleum clear acrylic spray. Light coating evenly sprayed across the back plate. I did 2 coats with time to dry between them and done. They also have satin clear finish too. Worked great. Just don't over spray or you will get ripples.

So, last night I got to hang out with Mark Tremonti and do the whole artist session thing.

Did this a couple of times as well! He signed the back of the headstock on one of my guitars and partially overshot into the first fret. Not by much and so far it hasn't been an issue with anything rubbing off. If it does, it's only part of it and the majority of the signature is still there. You'll probably be OK with the way it is, but he will be doing another round of tours for the release of Dust so you could always get another signature if he's in your area. Also, Alter Bridge will be recording at the beginning of the year and probably release later in the year which obviously means tour. So you have will have the opportunities to have it resigned if need be. The second guitar he signed, I had him, Erock, and Garrett sign the inside of the backplate as I play that guitar frequently. Had to explain that to them as they were curious as to why I wanted the inside signed. Made sense after the explanation.

Take it to a place that does vehicle wraps and have them put on a clear protector... If you find the right place that does quality work, you won't even know it's there

Back