Adventures in swapping pick ups

jep1210

That title might be a little misleading since it really wasn't that hard to do. Aside from having to swap the red and the black wires since PRS wires their hot lead in red and Seymour Duncan uses black for their hot lead apparently. The pick ups are an SH-4 JB in the bridge position and an SH-1n 59 in the neck position. I was trying to get rid of some of the muddiness of the stock PUs and get a little more chime when in the split configuration...as much as you can get from a humbucker, I'm going for that Sultans Of Swing sound...again as close as could be gotten.

Before:
xWoFJu4.jpg

After:
6ETt6xC.jpg

When I popped the originals out, there was a 5 under the bridge pup
nuaSeOd.jpg

And a 6 under the neck PUP
dxbVqwd.jpg

Anyone know what these stand for?

Thanks for looking.

It's a label for the holes in the guitar. Starting w/the tone knob (1), 5-way blade (2), volume knob (3), bridge (4), bridge pup (5, as you saw), neck pup (6), and if you take the TRC off, it'll have a 7 in there.

Or I don't have a clue and I'm just making things up because I'm trying to kill time before vacation starts (and later morphs to Experience). Gonna be a long week and a half.

Cool. I'd say that set is like an enhanced version of the PRS HFS/VB combo.

With the SD pups, you can use either black or red for hot, depending on how you wire it. The top version below sounds like how you did yours, which is going to give you the best quack in the middle position.

However, if you find that you want the split neck to sound a bit fatter, you can wire the neck pickup like the bottom one. Won't be as quacky in the middle position, but it will be hum cancelling.

Alternatively, for either style, run the split to hot instead of ground and that will give you the opposite coil.

WD_Coil_Splitting.jpg

It's a label for the holes in the guitar. Starting w/the tone knob (1), 5-way blade (2), volume knob (3), bridge (4), bridge pup (5, as you saw), neck pup (6), and if you take the TRC off, it'll have a 7 in there.

Or I don't have a clue and I'm just making things up because I'm trying to kill time before vacation starts (and later morphs to Experience). Gonna be a long week and a half.

Hahaha, you had me going there for a minute.

It's a label for the holes in the guitar. Starting w/the tone knob (1), 5-way blade (2), volume knob (3), bridge (4), bridge pup (5, as you saw), neck pup (6), and if you take the TRC off, it'll have a 7 in there

I know you can shoot thru the 5-hole in soccer & hockey, and make lewd 6-hole jokes. I don't want to know where the 7-hole is.

With the SD pups, you can use either black or red for hot, depending on how you wire it. The top version below sounds like how you did yours, which is going to give you the best quack in the middle position.

You are correct sir, that is how I did it.

Back