Adjusting string height on a Dustie Waring

deakle

i just picked up a new CE 24DW Dustie Waring with a Floyd Rose. Great guitar except the action is way high. Has anyone ever adjusted the string height on one of these? Should I completely take the tension off the Floyd before adjusting the post screws so as not to damage the knife edges?

Yes. It's a pain, but worth the trouble.

Also make sure the neck is straight and that the action isn't because of too much relief.

Always, always check the neck relief first. Likely all that's needed is a truss rod tweak.

Afterwards, if you want the action lower than factory spec, adjust the saddle height. There's likely no reason to adjust the post height, but if you do, absolutely take all tension off.

When I adjusted mine I just pushed down on the bar to take off string tension and screwed down the two posts until I got the desired height. You can’t adjust saddle height on a Floyd because they come shimmed for the correct radius from the factory.

Last edited:
When I adjusted mine I just pushed down on the bar to take off string tension and screwed down the two posts until I got the desired height. You can’t adjust saddle height on a Floyd because they come shimmer for the correct radius from the factory.

Well then, you can see how much I (don't) know about Floyds! Kinda sucks you have to lower the whole bridge because that changes the amount of up-pull available.

Well then, you can see how much I (don't) know about Floyds! Kinda sucks you have to lower the whole bridge because that changes the amount of up-pull available.

It might but it’s so negligible it’s really not noticeable, I’ve got 3 of the original DW’s and have them setup fairly low and don’t notice any difference tbh

Thanks everyone! All it needed was a truss rod tweak. Fantastic guitar! I highly recommend it!

Back