Adding pickup covers?

markm

CE Fan
I have a 2014 CU24.
What's involved if I want to add nickel covers on the pickups?
Thank you

Its easy. Make sure if your getting covers with predrilled holes for the poles that they are f spaced. Then remove pickups from guitar. No need to unsolder them but make sure you put a towel over your guitar to protect it. Place covers over pickups and solder on underneath to make sure they dont move. Replace pickup. Job done. There are vids on youtube and there is a thread on here somewhere.

Thanks!
You guys are awesome!

Anyone know a good place to purchase the covers?

Thanks again!

2014 Cu 24 has square-shaped bobbins that are designed to be almost 100% fitted with the pickup cavities on the guitar. My 2013 model also has the same bobbins and I think putting covers on the pickups needs further modifications be it widening the body cavities or even re-shaping the bobbin edges.

For the tonal affections, take a look at this clip. The guitar in the video has 59/09 pickups, the same model featured stock in 2014 Cu24. As the result there are obvious chages to the tones. Please note that the 59/09 pups in the video are the early version that are wound in basic, non square-bobbin-shaped so they can be covered with ease just like in the StewMac video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back