Adding Locking SE Tuners?

I will be putting lockers on my Angelus later this month, but I typically use Gotoh Mag Locks. Often they are less expensive than SE locking tuners and I like the big thumbwheel locking posts.

Honestly, I see no downside save for the installation time and extra cost, but they are such timesavers on string changes. The Gotoh models have some nice keys on them too.
I put GOTOH vintage Maglock locking tuners on my Zach Myers SE electric . They have the same mounting screw pattern as the original vintage style tuners but the peg holes had to be enlarged to use the new Gotoh bushings. They lock with a wheel on the backside. They really improved tuning stability on that model. Lots of slop in the OEM's. I shuddered at the prospect of using a drill on that beautifully veneered headstock. Don't try it. Get a peg head reamer from Stew Mac or take it to your local luthier.

Just ordered a new set of PRS SE Locking Tuners for my 2022 SE A60E. Thought it wise to enable simple string changes with the turn of the key knob, instead of need wind the string around the tuner post. This will make string changes easier and provide a cleaner look to the headstock.

My guitar tech friend has been apprised of my order, and we will perform my tuner upgrade once they arrive.

In other news, my Fractal FM9 now contains a dedicated acoustic/12-string sim preset, which truly sounds wonderful. The key element to this is the pitch block virtual capo, which is offset by +5.2 cents. What that means, I'm not sure, but it creates a deep, resonant, rich fullness to my previously stale acoustic sound. I will be adding a 2nd input to both the acoustic and 12-string presets to facilitate my friend's and my ability to both plug into my FM9.

Several things on the docket today...

1) Bake a pie
2) Install locking tuners on my A60E
3) Await arrival of my backup replacement TRS>XLR cables for my FM9

Will take pics of the tuner progress as the install proceeds.

My apologies to all who have waited to see PRS SE Locking Tuners installed. My direct apologies to @Aahzz for downplaying his Eastman. I was feeling a bit crabby this past week because of the hot weather and having a full schedule of busy work that prevented me from enjoying the usual celebratory atmosphere in this forum...

Prep:
Pkb3tgH.jpg

Screws Removed from Reverse:
PefcQ5L.jpg

#10 (10mm?) Metric Socket Wrench:
r8lFFc0.jpg

Fresh Slate:
2K3mDXo.jpg

Locking Tuners, Finger Tight:
HJzvntH.jpg

Attach New Set Screws:
73BmGwn.jpg

Locking Knobs Attached, Wrench Tightened, Set Screws Tightened
iv2hpKE.jpg

Tuned Up, Strings Stretched:
IaMJ2EK.jpg

UPDATE:
I think it'll be necessary to add a little dab of Lok-Tite to the high E string set screw. It seemed like it kept turning but wasn't gripping.
This is an issue with SE tuners. I’ve encountered it with multiple. Not just the high E but in general. I went up a size in screws and rode with it. But you can use the toothpick trick too.

This is an issue with SE tuners. I’ve encountered it with multiple. Not just the high E but in general. I went up a size in screws and rode with it. But you can use the toothpick trick too.
Am considering using the stock set screws instead of the replacements. May not work correctly, but will try and see. Otherwise, will have Lok-Tite ready to keep things together.

Would lock tite help if it’s not capturing the wood and keeps spinning? I’m always hesitant about a non reversible solution

Would lock tite help if it’s not capturing the wood and keeps spinning? I’m always hesitant about a non reversible solution
That's the problem. Attached, but keeps spinning. Maybe some wood glue seal that can be released if needs be.

EDIT: That seems to have solved the problem for the time. Some Elmer's on a toothpick, inserted into the set screw hole. Tightened set screw, will allow to dry overnight and carefully check for movement Sunday noontime.

Last edited:
Luthier Tip: If your replacement tuner screw holes might seem stripped, or not gripping, a small 3 mm cut piece piece of toothpick in the set screw hole adds just enough wood for the screw to hold. Be sure to use the point end (point end up?) of a round toothpick so the toothpick will slip into the hole easily. Don't use the thicker center part of the toothpick.

Luthier Tip: If your replacement tuner screw holes might seem stripped, or not gripping, a small 3 mm cut piece piece of toothpick in the set screw hole adds just enough wood for the screw to hold. Be sure to use the point end (point end up?) of a round toothpick so the toothpick will slip into the hole easily. Don't use the thicker center part of the toothpick.
Performed the repair this evening. Lok-Tite had a warning on it that suggested any use of it might be permanent and difficult to dislodge.

Clipped a 2.5mm end-point toothpick with tip extended outwards into the set screw hole. Reattached set screw. Held together perfectly, gripped tight.

Happy that this luthier's tip worked.

Back