Adding Locking SE Tuners?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Just curious how many folks have upgraded their PRS acoustic SE guitars with the locking SE tuners?

Benefits vs. Downsides?

Wondering if this might be practical for my SE A60E...

Last edited:
I havent yet, but, the only real benefit would be quicker string changes. The acoustics stay in tune so well, they really don't need the Lockers.

The quicker string changes, yep. That might be a reason if a string popped and needed a quick replacement. Hazard to think this could occur onstage, but the benefits are evident.

I don’t think you’d get much for them. I’d hang on to them, just in case.

I thought as well. Might be a decent offer to a prospective buyer to include the non-locking tuners, just in case they might not dig the locking ones. Seems counter-intuitive, but sometimes owning and offering the original parts adds to the resale value if upgrades were done.

I thought as well. Might be a decent offer to a prospective buyer to include the non-locking tuners, just in case they might not dig the locking ones. Seems counter-intuitive, but sometimes owning and offering the original parts adds to the resale value if upgrades were done.
Agreed.

If I rocked the acoustic daily then I would consider it for faster string changes. But the stock tuners do their job very well on the acoustic line. I don’t mind the extra few mins it takes me if I only change strings a few times a year.

I assume the stock SE locking would be direct drop ins? No concern for post lengths or anything like that?

If I rocked the acoustic daily then I would consider it for faster string changes. But the stock tuners do their job very well on the acoustic line. I don’t mind the extra few mins it takes me if I only change strings a few times a year.

I assume the stock SE locking would be direct drop ins? No concern for post lengths or anything like that?

Yeah, I'm rethinking the replacement process because it's a want, not a need. I can wait until other CC obligations are paid for before considering ordering locking tuners.

According to the PRS Accessories page, the PRS SE locking tuners are direct replacements for current stock PRS SE tuners. The sales page offers no direct statement saying the SE locking tuners will fit SE acoustics.

The info says:
"Upgrade your current stock SE tuning machines with these direct replacement locking tuners. Change them out in a snap!
*Direct replacement for PRS-Designed SE Tuners. Vintage Style tuners have a different mounting screw footprint."

This might imply direct replacement for SE guitars, but does not say "all SE." I know first-hand that some 3rd-party SE replacements will not fit all SE guitars (exclusions are Zach Meyers, Bernie Marsden, because of their Kluson vintage style tuners).

Post length, unless it has to do with headstock thickness, might be a non-issue, but again, I don't doubt that PRS says "direct replacement for current stock SE tuners." I'd feel better if the word acoustic were included in the sales page, but it might only require an email to PTC to confirm.

John Mann is one 3rd party SE tuner replacement maker whose disclaimer suggests there are separate tuner sets for ZM and Bernie's. The positioning of the mounting screws for MannMade standard SE tuner replacements would require drilling for ZM and Bernie's, for the reason above regards vintage-style tuners.

I will be putting lockers on my Angelus later this month, but I typically use Gotoh Mag Locks. Often they are less expensive than SE locking tuners and I like the big thumbwheel locking posts.

Honestly, I see no downside save for the installation time and extra cost, but they are such timesavers on string changes. The Gotoh models have some nice keys on them too.

So I checked the guitar head thickness. Mine Measures around 0.7”, thicker than an s2 and se electric guitars that were around 0.6”. Makes sense that a bigger guitar would have a thicker head piece.

Makes me really wonder if the store’s SE locking tuners would truly fit properly. The Locking grovers mini rotomatics have a post shaft that is too short. Don’t bother with them in the acoustics

So I checked the guitar head thickness. Mine Measures around 0.7”, thicker than an s2 and se electric guitars that were around 0.6”. Makes sense that a bigger guitar would have a thicker head piece.

Makes me really wonder if the store’s SE locking tuners would truly fit properly. The Locking grovers mini rotomatics have a post shaft that is too short. Don’t bother with them in the acoustics

Concur. I wasn't sure either. Glad you did more research. At this writing, my SE A60E will soon find a new home with a close friend of my immediate family, for about what I originally paid. (Will be offering a few extra accessories to sweeten the deal). Sorry to have to let this one go, but bigger things are calling that I'll need to respond to.

If locking tuners for the SE acoustic series is a thing, I'd simply ask PTC if the locking tuners will work for the acoustics or not. In fact, I'll do that right away myself so no one loses out on future questions like this...

EDIT: Just emailed PRS Customer Service with my question...will post once a reply comes back...

Last edited:
I will be putting lockers on my Angelus later this month, but I typically use Gotoh Mag Locks. Often they are less expensive than SE locking tuners and I like the big thumbwheel locking posts.

Honestly, I see no downside save for the installation time and extra cost, but they are such timesavers on string changes. The Gotoh models have some nice keys on them too.

Are the Goths drop-in in the Angelus? I'm debating throwing locking tuners on mine...

Better news than was hoped for recently...

Tax refund this year was very kind to my pocket, so will be repurchasing an A60E to replace the one that got away when financing my Fractal endeavors. Have opted for the installment plan and will finish paying off the debt once both state and fed refunds grace the bank account. Have set other funds aside for certain things, but will use the larger amount for the A60E. Pics to follow in several days.

Back