Add this lick to your rock/blues playing and take off!

Tag

The last thing anyone needs is yet another internet lesson, especilally from me, but I think this line (one of the first jazz lines I ever learned) is one of the greatest tools to break out of the basic blues box licks, and start sounding more melodic and advanced. Its a totally cliche jazz lick played by all the greats, but you will rarely, if ever hear it played the same way twice. Thats the great thing about melodic lines. Anyway, this works over E-7 or any E minor chord, A7, G maj 7, or C#-7b5. Dont let that confuse you though, play it over any straight up E- to make it simple. In the video I said G7, thats a mistake I cant edit out! I meant to say A7. :bawling: If you take the time to learn it and digest it, I guarantee you will turn some heads when you use it in a rock or blues setting, and it will really open you up to other things.

SOUND FILE http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12214695&q=hi Or Go here and download E-line1 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=121826

Last edited by a moderator:
If the teacher is this good another lesson is what everyone needs :).Really cool line here and your sound and touch is fantastic.GREAT!That guitar really sounds amazing.

Wow! I didnt expect to get a single response. Thanks guys, and I am really happy you liked it. I will put up another one later today. I am going to try and keep it to lines that work really well when added to basic blues and rock playing. There are plenty of jazz teachers on line who are far better than myself. I went through the phase of moving from rock to jazz, so I think I have a good grasp of what will sound good in both areas, and for rock guys, its a way to add some spice that will really make you stand out if you take the time to not only memorize the line at first, but to work with it and use it a million different ways. It actually sounds strange, but you want to get to the point where its HARD to replay something the same way. Thats when you know you are really improvising, and not just repeating things like a tape recorder. Then playing gets to be so much fun, you will not want to stop improvising on a song, and you will feel you can play on the same chords for an hour if need be. Anyway, I will throw another up later on. Thanks again!

Now.....undying affection and good will to anyone who would be willing to tab out Tag's lick above. My learning skills are minimal by attempting to visually copy...I need to see it tabbed out to accurately reproduce it.

:dontknow: Anyone???

Now.....undying affection and good will to anyone who would be willing to tab out Tag's lick above. My learning skills are minimal by attempting to visually copy...I need to see it tabbed out to accurately reproduce it.

:dontknow: Anyone???

Bennet. Forget tabs. Learn it by ear. FAR more important, and easier. This is all you need to learn anything. It is a MUST have for any serious player. Its the best $50 you will ever spend. You dont need the disc, just buy it and down load it right away. you will have it in a few minutes. i think there is a trial version as well. http://www.ronimusic.com/index.html Use it on anything you want to learn. Its how I learn everything. You can slow things down to a snails pace without changing pitch, and learn anything one note at a time. Amazing is the right word for it! I may need to make sound files of the licks though, as it will not open video I dont think. I have a converter and can do it in seconds. (takes the sound off of video clips) Let me know if anyone needs the sound clips and I will convert and post them.

New line #2. I started this one on the 12 fret, and ended it right where the last one began, so you can tie them right together. You can also use just 3-4 notes of the lines, you dont need to play them exactly like I did, i never do either. I just made them up right before I turned on the video camera. This one is a little simpler I think, and has some of that cool Coltrane tria phrasing that is done to death in jazz, but still sounds cool!

Sound file http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12214696&q=hi Or go here and download E-line 2 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=121826

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks Tag.

FWIW, I am always able to copy a video tutorial, although it's not my preferred method of processing new information. I guess I'm lazy... but sight reading of tablature is very quick for me to learn...whereas, by copying a video...it takes numerous repetitions for me to finally "get it".

That's all I meant by my "request".

I'll have no problem copying your video and eventually learning it by rote. It's just that I will eventually have to tab it out myself, since that is the "discipline" I require of myself when learning a new tune or technique. I have to write it out, 'cause with my "learning disabilities" (or whatever it is) I won't be able to retain it for long....I will learn it...and if I don't play it every day for a couple of weeks...it would only take me about 3 days of not playing it to forget most of it! :( Hence, tablature is a necessity for my "long term storage".

But thanks again for all the advice and assistance. :proud:

No problem bennett. That takes to much time for me. But let me tell you something. Correct practice means you have to use the material right away. Instead of writing it out (which you still can do) you need a recorder where you can put down a backing track or play a backing soundfile from the web. Then hit record and USE the lick. Force it in here and there until it becomes easier. You should always keep clips of yourself practicing, and listen back critically. You will then find the line, and parts of it slowly start to creep into your playing over the course of a few months. Michael Brecker said exactly that about new ideas he would work on. If you dont use it, you will always forget it. At least i do. To get good, it takes some work every single day to retain new ideas. After a while, you need to step away for a week or so, then come back to it. Your recorded material will always have what you were working on waiting for you. A big part of improving when I could not, was my teacher insisting i get a cheap portable multi track recorder and doing just that. I bought the old tascam porta 1 cassette at the time, and it was the best move I ever made. I improved in 4-5 months more than I had in the previous 2-3 years. Again, if you really want to get "good" you can. These are essential tools it takes to get there.

Ive been working on both lines today.So much fun for a rocker like me to use the chromatics.

Ive been working on both lines today.So much fun for a rocker like me to use the chromatics.

Hey theys great to hear! :) Work on it for a few months and really digest it. You will start to connect all kinds of chords like that and sound like a totally different player. If anyone wants another, just ask.

Hey theys great to hear! :) Work on it for a few months and really digest it. You will start to connect all kinds of chords like that and sound like a totally different player. If anyone wants another, just ask.

KEEP THEM COMING,TAG!!!

this was fabulous! I'm always looking to learn new stuff. Definitely going to try these out tonight! Thanks for the lesson.

this was fabulous! I'm always looking to learn new stuff. Definitely going to try these out tonight! Thanks for the lesson.

KEEP THEM COMING,TAG!!!

You guys made my day! Its really nice to know something I can show is helping someone else. I will post another one later on today. I love sharing what I know and learning as much as possible from others. So many killer players all over the place to learn from. The more we all share, the better we all become at playing these darn things!

Back