Add pickguard to Angelus?

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Has anyone done that? If so, what pickguard did you use? It's not for me so much of a functional thing, it's more cosmetic - I love my AX20E, but completely plain top acoustics look naked to me...maybe I'll add a sticker...looking at my guitar family pic, I just want to dress her up somehow.

guitarfamily.jpg

Yes, a transparent plastic one (Stew-Mac). I'll pull up the page if I can find it...

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...-guitar-pickguards/acoustic-guitar-pickguard/

Installs with peel-away adhesive; is removable.

I've got one of these on order for my recent A60E...but will wait to install until the guitar is fully paid for...(6-month payment plan; will be PIF once funds are secured).

The caveat is that you've got to position the pick guard carefully so as to obtain a correct location and fit next to the sound hole. Gauging where you will apply the pick guard and taping it down (artist's masking tape or drafting tape) on one side and turning it back over so you can pull the plastic film from the adhesive side as you apply helps with that positioning...almost forgot, do this with the E1 string off...it gets in the way, otherwise...

Last edited:
StewMac Clear Pickguard

BL66NXz.jpg

StewMac Pickguard (E1 String Removed, Oriented/Positioned Landscape Fashion, Drafting Tape Applied, Film on Underside Remains)

BjR19FJ.jpg

StewMac Clear Pickguard (w/ Film Removed from Underside; Pickguard Sticky Side Attached, Some Minor Bubbles Remain, E1 String Replaced)

kXbrX2Y.jpg

Pick guards do add a traditional look, but if it isn't needed to protect the top, I don't want anything that will dampen the vibration of the top; after all, the top is basically the guitar's 'speaker' and it has to move.

Ahhzz, the foam on that wall probably doesn't do much since it's pretty thin stuff, but in any case could probably use a refresh...:eek:

Pick guards do add a traditional look, but if it isn't needed to protect the top, I don't want anything that will dampen the vibration of the top; after all, the top is basically the guitar's 'speaker' and it has to move.

Ahhzz, the foam on that wall probably doesn't do much since it's pretty thin stuff, but in any case could probably use a refresh...:eek:

I've long ago stopped using that closet as a recording space, I'm just waiting for all of the foam to fall off :D

You know Mr. Aahzz, when I look at the other guitars in your collection, and the stickers on them, I certainly wonder why there is not one on the acoustic! OF COURSE it looks naked without one!! And as I think this, I also think the PERFECT sticker would be your logo (just like on your Tie Dye Tower)!!! That would be some HOT spice for your AX20E IMO!!!!

Hey dude. Thanks for this. I wasn't sure if I should add a pickguard to my A50E Angelus...??? Like you I believe the sound may not resonate as well when the pickguard is installed. At the same time I do not like those fine lines on the polish! What do I do??? Any advice?

Hey dude. Thanks for this. I wasn't sure if I should add a pickguard to my A50E Angelus...??? Like you I believe the sound may not resonate as well when the pickguard is installed. At the same time I do not like those fine lines on the polish! What do I do??? Any advice?
Yes! It's easy to play guitar without scratching it with the pick (or your fingers). I haven't put a pick scratch on a guitar in many, many years.

For one thing, use a smaller pick, it's more precise when playing, anyway. There's also no real reason to strum or pick anywhere but directly over the strings. It's simply a matter of a minimal amount of control. If you're unable to do it, well, there are always pick guards.

Back