Action was high as h*ll!!

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Been playing my acoustic guitars for the most part over the past couple of months. As a result, I hadn't picked up old Dottie for a little while. When I did, she felt like crap! Action was higher than the action on my acoustic PRS. Took a look down the neck and realized that the abrupt weather change here in Pennsylvania had caused a little bowing in the neck, throwing my action way off up around the 12th fret. A quick tweak of the truss rod, and we are perfectly flat and back in business. The second picture is just for effect. It was one of the better examples of the top that I have gotten with a cell phone for a while. Thanks for looking.

181800853_10165190241525331_8825757674160472766_n.jpg

181569384_10165190262910331_3481281633552046523_n.jpg

Last edited:
had the same happen to my CE couple weeks back. Went to play it after using other guitars for a couple months and was dumfounded by all the buzzing. Like you said the seasons changed. Now she's ready to rock again after a some truss rod attention

I actually LIKE the action high!

I read an article many years ago about SRV who liked the action high and his reasoning made sense to me.

Its about balance. Low = speed and ease of slides. High = more meat of the finger on the string which makes bends easier.

Raising my action has made my playing better with bends getting to pitch. I was never going to be a speed demon anyway!

I read an article many years ago about SRV who liked the action high and his reasoning made sense to me.

Its about balance. Low = speed and ease of slides. High = more meat of the finger on the string which makes bends easier.

Raising my action has made my playing better with bends getting to pitch. I was never going to be a speed demon anyway!
I don't play well enough for all that. When the action is high, my sloppy fingering is MUCH more evident.....lol. That "more finger meat" thing is true as I have to press down more and am more likely to touch and mute other strings with the rest of my finger tips. :confused:

This is why guitar setup always varies player to player. I love this explanation as well...I like a good balance in the action of my guitars..and by measurements it's never the same across my guitars either. I set it mostly by feel.

I went over this on another thread.......the name is based on an anomaly on the top as opposed to the inlays. :D

Well, my 335 remains skeptical, but I think that's one beautiful guitar, inlays, top, and all.

I just picked up one of these yesterday, and it is a revelation!

I am tweaking all my guitars to play like the one that I currently find easiest.

shopping
Thanks for posting this. Ordered! Way better than the one I currently have.

Here is the one I got. I think it was like 6 bucks on Amazon.

182903447_10165194627345331_465100503416128619_n.jpg
Yeah the one I got is a bit pricier, but I find the white on black easier to read, and the lettering is engraved so it won’t rub off. The edges are smoothed too so no worry of scratches.

Back