Action on CE24

Kinsman

I'm not incredibly experience with trems. Is it expected that the action on a trem will generally be a bit higher than on a stop? I'm ready to dig in and start tweaking, and it's really only a marginal difference, but I definitely would like it a bit lower.

I would say there is no expectation of a difference. You should be able to tweak the trem bridge sufficiently to get the same low action as any other guitar. Double-check your truss rod/neck first, just in case that is a cause of slightly higher action.

I would say there is no expectation of a difference. You should be able to tweak the trem bridge sufficiently to get the same low action as any other guitar. Double-check your truss rod/neck first, just in case that is a cause of slightly higher action.
Ok great, I really just have never worked with a trem before. I'll dig in and see what I can do :). Thank you, @shinksma

There should not be a difference in how low you can get the action really. I've had no issues with the CEs we have had come in.
That's great to know, as well. I just didn't want to start messing with it if it were a hopeless endeavor. I wasn't sure what my expectations should have been. Thanks for the response!

I have 2 CE's currently - one 2016 and one the new RL. I put 9's on the RL and is still harder to play than the 2016 (bought it used but came with GREAT action). The strings feel "tighter" on the RL - if that makes sense - which seems odd. Both have new strings.

The RL was set up for 10's but I'm not sure it should make that much of a difference. I'm going to try a truss rod adj and see if that does anything...not well versed in anything after that. It already has just a bit of fret buzz if I don't fret properly, so don't know that an adjustment will do anything.

I have 2 CE's currently - one 2016 and one the new RL. I put 9's on the RL and is still harder to play than the 2016 (bought it used but came with GREAT action). The strings feel "tighter" on the RL - if that makes sense - which seems odd. Both have new strings.

The RL was set up for 10's but I'm not sure it should make that much of a difference. I'm going to try a truss rod adj and see if that does anything...not well versed in anything after that. It already has just a bit of fret buzz if I don't fret properly, so don't know that an adjustment will do anything.

Yeah, I had the same feeling about THE RLCE24 - my teacher even thought the 10s felt like 11s...

Yeah, I had the same feeling about THE RLCE24 - my teacher even thought the 10s felt like 11s...
Interesting that you say that. It definitely feels that way to me at times. I guess I didn't quite notice it until you mentioned it. Is that a CE thing, trem thing, PRS thing?

I agree 100% with the feel of the action on the CE. I am a Strat player and use 9s on the Strat. The guitar felt OK at the store for the time I had to play but when I got it home and played for a while it felt almost like playing my Breedlove acoustic with 12s on it. I am gonna' try to lower the action a bit, otherwise I'll get used to it I really don't want to step down to 9s on this guitar.

My suggestion would be for you to start by googling adjusting a PRS trem . We had one forum member recently who went at it with great gusto, and damaged their guitar. The trem guitars feel softer to me than the non trems, and the 22 fretters feel softer still.

As long as you don't adjust the fulcrum screws with string or spring tension on it and make sure those screws are level you should be fine.

What I'm noticing right now is that the trem isn't level with the body, it's actually tilted slightly upwards.

Last edited:
https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html
So the instructions there helped me out quite a bit. I realized that the claw screws may need adjusting. I detuned, adjusted the screws, tuned up. Rinse and repeat until the trem was where it should be.

I then lowered the saddles on the E and A to make sure they all followed the radius of the fretboard and viola! She's purring like a kitten....a really angry, distorted kitten. ;)

Of the guitar ;)
Oh, haha! Yea man, here ya go.
32919001664_7662a12eaa_b.jpg

Back