Acoustic Pre-amp for P22

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Okay, been gigging my P22 for several weeks now, and love everything about it. I would however like to have more tone shaping control for the piezo. What are you guys using that works simply, sounds good, and won't break the bank?

Okay, been gigging my P22 for several weeks now, and love everything about it. I would however like to have more tone shaping control for the piezo. What are you guys using that works simply, sounds good, and won't break the bank?
I've used my P22 with the same amps that I've used with my acoustic-electric guitar; namely Fishman SA-220 and SRT JAM-150+, which are "acoustic" amps if you are going for that type of "clean" sound" and you can't go wrong with either. The JAM-150+ has a little mixing console built into the top. The SA-220 and JAM-150+ are combo amp / speakers. If you want just a pre-amp to go between your P22 and present combo; then I can also recommend the Mackie 402VLZ4 which is a little 4-channel mixing console. It provides treble / bass tone controls. If you want more tone control, its bigger brother, the 8-channel 802VLZ4 offers treble / mid / bass controls on each of its channels. It all depends on what you want. I usually hesitate to recommend "drinking by the label" ; but with both the Fishman and Mackie brands, you really can't go wrong with any of their products, and you can check out their complete line-up to see which product(s) have the best fit of features and capabilities that you desire. Happy shopping.

Last edited:
I use an LR Baggs Para DI, which sounds great and has lots of EQ control. I also use a BBE Acoustimax on occasion. It's big, though.

With my acoustic I use an Avalon U5. It has some tone presets for piezo pickups, is all Class A electronics, and is built like a tank. It has a parallel output for an amp, ground lift switch, can take an amplifier input (but the amp also must have a speaker load), and has a lot of other features for use live or in recording. It's also my favorite direct box for bass. Very versatile, seen in a great number of studios. It can output a signal at either mic or line level from the balanced outputs in the rear, and the parallel output on the front is at instrument level for amps.

Some great suggestions here from some evidently pretty serious acoustic guys.
I don't have a P22 or 24 but they are piezo transducers in the saddles so shouldn't be much or any different than a real acoustic with an UST.
SO...
Plugging an acoustic guitar (whether it has UST, SBT, soundhole mag pup, or multi-source system) into an electric guitar amp isn't going to get you REAL close to an acoustic guitar tone. WAY closer than an electric guitar's tone sounds to an acoustic but still not all that great. HEY...sideline and offtrack tangent here...I wonder how an SBT or 3 would sound on a solidbodied electric? Wonder if you attached some to the tremblock...?? hmmm I think I have a new project/test to conduct. And NOW, back to your regularly scheduled program...

I do a lot of solo acoustic sets on summer festival stages. I have guitars with USTs, SBTs and some with an internal condenser mic PLUS a UST or SBT...
I'm a CHEAPSKATE...well more just a matter of being broke all the time.
I went loking for a decent but affordable preamp a couple (2) years ago and I got a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ (or something like that) for like 75 bucks and they can still be found ued for that $ or maybe even a bit less. It isn't one of the $$$ modelling acoustic pres. It isn't a $$ Radial pre but it does a LOT, is small enough and sounds pretty darned good.
It has XLR and 1/4 ins and outs. Powered by battery, 9v adaptor or by the board's phantom power. You can us more than one out at a time.
It has a good EQ with parametric mids. A pretty decent notch. Phase. It even has a compression knob. Bypass. Input level and output level...
For 75 or so bucks...well I kept mine and it has served me very well time after time, gig after gig.
Definitely worth a look if you're on a budget. Does everything I need it to do and then some.
YMMV

Nice suggestion from blaren. Fishman products both old and new are prized in the acoustic community. Can't go wrong with any of these suggestions. It won't be too hard too fill the bill. The only question is how good a deal you can get, and blaten's suggestion of after market solves that problem.

I had on hand a LR BAGS PARA DI and although the piezo to passive DI and then to sound board sounded good the Para DI really made the piezo POP so to speak. sounded very acoustic like and can fine tune tone.

Back