Acoustic line of S2, CE'S and core?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
My issue with the acoustics from PRS is that you can get import line or something out of your price range (10,000+ dollars). Why haven't they made an s2 or a core or CE lineup of guitars? Yes the SE's are good but why no core lineup??

Acoustic line at this time is either PS or budget-friendly SE. The SE is an excellent value for the money; just view the various PRS model reviews on YT.

PRS has not developed a core or S2 line likely because of the quality of the SE line. (Am guessing, but it makes sense) That, plus the SE line provides an OHSC, not a gig bag.

Acoustic line at this time is either PS or budget-friendly SE. The SE is an excellent value for the money; just view the various PRS model reviews on YT.

PRS has not developed a core or S2 line likely because of the quality of the SE line. (Am guessing, but it makes sense) That, plus the SE line provides an OHSC, not a gig bag.
Well yes, the SE's are good for the price but what if you wanted like not just a veneer of quilted maple for the back and sides? I don't know if they use straight up real quilted maple backs and sides or just veneers (most likely veneers) but with an American lineup, you could use thick caps of real wood and stuff that

A core line existed at one point. Believe they were priced around the wood library guitars but were still built by the team that did the PS line. They must not have sold a pile of them or they would’ve continued making them. Acoustic building is a different ballgame and I’m guessing the margin isn’t as good as electric, especially if it’s not your bread and butter.

That said, I’d love an S2 satin acoustic.

Well yes, the SE's are good for the price but what if you wanted like not just a veneer of quilted maple for the back and sides? I don't know if they use straight up real quilted maple backs and sides or just veneers (most likely veneers) but with an American lineup, you could use thick caps of real wood and stuff that
Andres Segovia played a guitar with plywood back and sides for most of his concert life. The SE’s are huge bang for the buck and do a great job. Let me suggest you read “The Art of Tap Tuning” by Roger Simonoff to learn about quality acoustic design and manufacturing. Remember....everything affects everything in guitarmaking, and at the end of the day you still have tp pay your employees and satisfy your investors. No manufacturer can do everything.

I believe @bryanewald uses an SE acoustic. They are incredible instruments for their price point.

Apologies Bryan if I’ve remembered this incorrectly.

I have a T60E that I adore. I have two of the original Angelus (one mahogany and one rosewood) they gave me for a tour when they discontinued to redesign. I am seriously contemplating a P20E

but the T60 is my fav

I'm sure Paul and Co. would love to make a US production acoustic (they have in the past), but there are so many factors at play.

FWIW the Veneer for the back and sides is figured wood both inside and out, with another wood in between. This is a common construction method for acoustic guitars, no matter the price point. If they were to make a S2 Line or CE Line of Acoustics, the build would probably be the same, just different woods.

A core line existed at one point. Believe they were priced around the wood library guitars but were still built by the team that did the PS line. They must not have sold a pile of them or they would’ve continued making them. Acoustic building is a different ballgame and I’m guessing the margin isn’t as good as electric, especially if it’s not your bread and butter.

That said, I’d love an S2 satin acoustic.
I have always been a bit confused when it came to the PS line. Is that just straight up private stock? The acoustics for the PS line I've seen range from 5,000 to 15,0000. The blue tortuga would be something I would love to get my hands on. The parlor guitars look ok. But I've seen a few PS that had some knicks and dings go for like 5 grand. I mean a steal but I would settle around 7 or 8 grand if I ever had the money. One day those day dream's could come to fruition!

Yeah, they made the Tonare and the Angelus as part of the core line. I don't remember pricing, but yeah, they didn't sell well and were cancelled. Here's a Wayback snapshot of the 2011 PRS site for the Angelus:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110514025735/http://www.prsguitars.com/angelus/
Well that definitely looks pretty. They look very similar to the SE line since I guess since this didn't work out they took these same guitars and put them in the SE line. The Bahamian blue is what I want out the SE lineup, definitely a beauty.

Andres Segovia played a guitar with plywood back and sides for most of his concert life. The SE’s are huge bang for the buck and do a great job. Let me suggest you read “The Art of Tap Tuning” by Roger Simonoff to learn about quality acoustic design and manufacturing. Remember....everything affects everything in guitarmaking, and at the end of the day you still have tp pay your employees and satisfy your investors. No manufacturer can do everything.
Well yea guitars are just wood glue and wire. What you do with those and how well you use them will make a magic instrument.

I have a T60E that I adore. I have two of the original Angelus (one mahogany and one rosewood) they gave me for a tour when they discontinued to redesign. I am seriously contemplating a P20E

but the T60 is my fav

I'm sure Paul and Co. would love to make a US production acoustic (they have in the past), but there are so many factors at play.
Oh hi Brian, love the demo's. I see that a main core line would be too much since acoustic guitars are way different manufacturing and building wise than an electric. You have to have a special section just for creating them. I do have a question about the abalone on the SE's for the acoustics, is it real abalone or just faux? Thanks so much!

FWIW the Veneer for the back and sides is figured wood both inside and out, with another wood in between. This is a common construction method for acoustic guitars, no matter the price point. If they were to make a S2 Line or CE Line of Acoustics, the build would probably be the same, just different woods.
Well when you think about it, veneering is much much cheaper for the manufacturer to do since it's practically paint at that point, just glue it one and you can still make thousands of veneers out of one thick piece of wood. The whole discussion of veneering and real thick caps is somewhat stupid to me. You are still getting a piece of figured wood, enjoy it! The acoustic SE's look and sound amazing for the price. Personally I am trying to get my hand's on the Bahamian blue back and side's SE. 849 smackaroo's but boy do you get a pretty guitar.

From what I gathered, the Core line of PRS acoustics was "cannibalized" by too many buyers opting to spend a couple thousand more and getting a PS. By the time you were ready to pony up for the Core acoustic price point, going full PS wasn't that hard.

There are manufacturers that produce US-made acoustics at price points lower than PRS Core electrics, but higher than PRS S2 line - in the mid to high $2K range. And PRS could probably pull that off with aplomb. For whatever reason, PRS has deemed it not a profitable-enough venture right now - the capital and training to get that line up and running could instead be used to expand the existing lines, which are very backed up as we all know.

I know I love my Core Steve Fischer Angelus. There a few out there on the used market, just be patient and snag one...before I grab another!

Oh hi Brian, love the demo's. I see that a main core line would be too much since acoustic guitars are way different manufacturing and building wise than an electric. You have to have a special section just for creating them. I do have a question about the abalone on the SE's for the acoustics, is it real abalone or just faux? Thanks so much!
It is real Abalone shell.

From what I gathered, the Core line of PRS acoustics was "cannibalized" by too many buyers opting to spend a couple thousand more and getting a PS. By the time you were ready to pony up for the Core acoustic price point, going full PS wasn't that hard.

There are manufacturers that produce US-made acoustics at price points lower than PRS Core electrics, but higher than PRS S2 line - in the mid to high $2K range. And PRS could probably pull that off with aplomb. For whatever reason, PRS has deemed it not a profitable-enough venture right now - the capital and training to get that line up and running could instead be used to expand the existing lines, which are very backed up as we all know.

I know I love my Core Steve Fischer Angelus. There a few out there on the used market, just be patient and snag one...before I grab another!
Wow you're lucky, wish I could find one!

Back