Acoustic-Electric Equivalency

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Was just playing this guitar when I realised the acoustic and electric tones are so similar they’re virtually identical. All the characteristics and quirks I hear acoustically, which can only be described by some language I don’t yet know, comes through the amp clearly and faithfully. Nothing lost in translation.

Oh the tone. What. A. Guitar.
lsidOOF.jpg

Stunning.
Thank you Sir! I wanted to invite everyone to listen for similarities between acoustic and amplified tones, as an exercise in curiosity, but my guitar sure appreciates the compliment! :)

Thank you Sir! I wanted to invite everyone to listen for similarities between acoustic and amplified tones, as an exercise in curiosity, but my guitar sure appreciates the compliment! :)

I must tell you that I fail to fully understand your message. You ask us to listen for the similarities, but we do not have a sound clip. Perhaps you mean for us to listen for acoustic tones from our own guitars. On the clean channel or with some dirt thrown in? Does it make a difference? When you say acoustic do you mean unamplified? Help us understand your experience.

I must tell you that I fail to fully understand your message. You ask us to listen for the similarities, but we do not have a sound clip. Perhaps you mean for us to listen for acoustic tones from our own guitars. On the clean channel or with some dirt thrown in? Does it make a difference? When you say acoustic do you mean unamplified? Help us understand your experience.

I was wondering the same thing.
If the later, I practice unplugged a lot, but I only find this with semi-hollowbodies.

I was wondering the same thing.
If the later, I practice unplugged a lot, but I only find this with semi-hollowbodies.
Hi, apologies if the message was unclear. Yes I meant on your own guitars, do you hear any distinct similarities between the unplugged and amplified tones of the guitar.

Of course, they cannot be exactly the same with one going through an electromagnetic process, while the other goes through a mechanical route. But I do hear the similarities in the tone, the nuances. :)

For me, I lose a lot of the bass when playing unplugged. It's hard to hear the similarities because most of what I hear unplugged is only the top end. when I plug in I have it eq'd for a mix of mids and bass unless I'm looking to solo. I hear so much more plugged in. I think I'm just old. o_O

For me hearing amplified and unplugged sounds is a bit like hearing:

“I am from Germany”

“Ich bin aus Deutschland”

There is a difference in the sounds in the immediate literal sense, but the content is essentially the same. The bloom, the response, even a hint of woody quality with certain guitars.

Strikes me as hearing the same message from different translators!

There is a certain something I hear when playing acoustically, tonality I'd call it, that does seem to translate with my guitars when amped. It's almost akin to hearing the tenor of someone's speaking voice come through when they sing. It's not necessarily the key characteristic, but when you hear them in both modes you definitely recognize the commonalities of the origin.

So yes, I know what you mean and concur.

When I play amplified, I realise how sloppy my playing is acoustically!:(
Yes it’s really tough playing on something that is amplified so loud. Every little stray note and booboo is amped up.

About 3 years ago I forced myself to go back to basics, to wax-on and wax-off mode ala karate kid (Ralph Macchio version).

I forced myself to play slowly, to meditatively focus on every down stroke and up stroke, and how each stroke links up with the left hand fingering. To also focus meditatively on stray notes and how to damp them while playing.

It worked and I got rid of a whole lot of bad habits. Still struggle occasionally though, but the moment I apply the same philosophy, I overcome fairly quickly.

Try it, and don’t lose heart.

Turns out it’s really true that you need to master walking before attempting running.

Back