About to order my first new PRS - Artist Package. Could use your help!

philby82

Hi all

Great forum you have here, and I LOVE PRS guitars.

The missus has finally given me the go ahead to order my first new PRS, and its an artist package.

I've settled on a few specs:

SC245
Flame top
Flame Maple neck and fingerboard
Hybrid hardware
5708's

What I'm having trouble with is the colour. I generally like greens or blues, but there is alot of different choices.

I've been flipping between Trampas Green and Teal Black at this stage, but theres a heap of colours listed on the artist package options that I'm having trouble finding decent pictures of.

What I'm asking is that if any of you that have blue or green PRS that you think are an outstanding colour, could you please post photo's with the name of the colour?

I won't get to order another one for a long long time, if ever, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. Thats part of the reasoning for getting the Artist package - to ensure that it looks and plays incredible.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia, and I've tried looking in the local PRS dealers, but they dont really have much in the way of blue or green in stock currently.

Cheers

Phil

Hey,

Welcome, to the forum. When I want to see a colour I google PRS (whatever the colurs name) jpeg. You will see pfhtos and dealer adds of guitars in that colour. It is the best way to see. If you like the blues and greens. I suggest drooling over aqua verde fog and blue fade as well as eriza verde. When you do the google search, check a few different guitars of that colur as each one differs, mostly because the name of the colour is not accurate with the pictured guitar. if you check a few of the same colour, you will start to see the consistency. Hope this helps. I am green with envy for your eventual order!

Hey Audie

Thanks for the feedback, I've been using google images alot, never thought so many options is a bad thing lol!

I'll check out those colours you have mentioned.

I just saw a faded abalone with maple neck in the dealers section that looked incredible with a maple neck, but having trouble trying to find out the difference between faded abalone and abalone is hard. The faded abalone didn't look very faded to me?

I'll keep googling till I can make my decision, going to be a long day!

I thought I had settled on the Trampas Green, till I saw the Teal Black and Faded Abalone!

Cheers

Phil

Here's my AP P22 in Faded Abalone. It does not look faded to me, but it is Fated Abalone.

Since you said you like green, here's my Stripper in Evergreen, 10 top.

Last edited:
Thanks Tiboy, they both look really good!

I think I've brought it back down to either Faded Abalone or Teal Black - Its hard to tell online, all the pictures of the 2 colours look very similar... has anyone seen these 2 side by side?

Teal black is possibly a touch darker?

Last edited:
If you can't decide on blue or green, consider a combination fade. Wild West Guitars (wildwestguitars.com) has a Private Stock in "Grass Stain Dragon's Breath", which is showing sold, but I think it's a knockout. There's also a "cross fade" diagonal fade at The Guitar Shop site (http://www.theguitarshop.ca). Brett's a Canadian vendor I met at PRS Experience 2012, who gives great deals. I'll try to attach pictures below.

Wild West Guitars:

dis-prod_1243_standard.html

The Guitar Shop: picture link wouldn't take for some reason.

go to: http://www.theguitarshop.ca, click on "Private Stock", scroll down and look for "Beach Cross Fade"

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting to order an AP PRS.

I know your pain. There's so many good colors!

Thanks jfb

I think Teal Black might end up being the go, should be a good effect with the maple neck/board.

Will spend some more time on the net before committing just yet lol

I'd think a maple neck and fingerboard on an SC would result in a relatively unusual sounding Singlecut. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your expectations.

I'm going to guess that someone here has that combination. I'd be interested to know how it sounds.

Hmm, I've seen a few on the net with the maple necks/boards, haven't seen any threads anywhere complaining yet and I love the look....... what sort of effect will it have on the sound?

I play predominately rock and punk through a marshall jvm410 and marshall cab with greenbacks

If ya don't mind me asking...What are you tonal aspirations with the Singlecut body, and short scale maple neck/board? Don't know if I've ever seen/heard that?

Hmm, I've seen a few on the net with the maple necks/boards, haven't seen any threads anywhere complaining yet and I love the look....... what sort of effect will it have on the sound?

I play predominately rock and punk through a marshall jvm410 and marshall cab with greenbacks

I've never heard the combination, so I could only make a guess, and I'd rather not do that.

My own SC58 Artist Package with ebony fingerboard sounded remarkably different from my Stripped 58. It was a more jazzy sound without as much growl as the standard guitar. That was what I wanted. I already had the stock model and wanted a different sounding alternative based on the same platform. It was a more sophisticated sound, if that's a good way of putting it. Less rock

And in the case of my SC58, you could even hear a substantial difference between the guitars without plugging it in. Granted, it might have just been the differences we sometimes hear in two production guitars. But I think the different fingerboard had something to do with that.

If I had expected the same kind of tone as the stock model, I'd have been disappointed. So it's worth finding out from someone who has one what differences in tone you might expect.

And being different is not a bad thing. It's all a matter of your expectations.

I should add that my son played punk with a CU22 Soapbar with maple neck and fingerboard, and it sounded great. Very bright, clear, and there was lots of percussion on the pick attack. But touring with some established rock bands, he's changed to something else.

I think it's all a matter of taste, just know what you're getting into.

Last edited:
If ya don't mind me asking...What are you tonal aspirations with the Singlecut body, and short scale maple neck/board? Don't know if I've ever seen/heard that?

Tonal aspirations hmmm, I generally play modern sounding stuff thats distorted. So anything that fits in that genre. Modern pop punk through to metalcore depending on my mood and will be used alot for recording.

I should add I do have a custom 22 and an american standard strat as well. (although one or the either will probably be sold when the new one arrives)

The Maple neck/board I chose for aesthetic reasons, I didn't realise that the neck made such a difference to the tone. I was working on a big mahogany body sounding fairly midrangy and full.

I've never heard the combination, so I could only make a guess, and I'd rather not do that.

My own SC58 Artist Package with ebony fingerboard sounded remarkably different from my Stripped 58. It was a more jazzy sound without as much growl as the standard guitar. That was what I wanted. I already had the stock model and wanted a different sounding alternative based on the same platform. It was a more sophisticated sound, if that's a good way of putting it. Less rock

And in the case of my SC58, you could even hear a substantial difference between the guitars without plugging it in. Granted, it might have just been the differences we sometimes hear in two production guitars. But I think the different fingerboard had something to do with that.

If I had expected the same kind of tone as the stock model, I'd have been disappointed. So it's worth finding out from someone who has one what differences in tone you might expect.

And being different is not a bad thing. It's all a matter of your expectations.

I should add that my son played punk with a CU22 Soapbar with maple neck and fingerboard, and it sounded great. Very bright, clear, and there was lots of percussion on the pick attack. But touring with some established rock bands, he's changed to something else.

I think it's all a matter of taste, just know what you're getting into.

I tried out a Les Paul with soapbar pickups and it really wasn't my thing. As I mentioned above, I'm more into modern punk, rock and even some metal so humbuckers suit me normally. I would like it to be playable clean though which would help, so not super bright if possible. What I play fluctuates with my mood, and I heard that the 5708's are meant to be a very versatile pickup with enough output for modern rock.

Thanks alot for the feedback guys, its opening my eyes up a bit, and please keep it coming. I'm hoping to order it in the next day or so, so the more knowledge the better :)

Before you order a guitar, you should go read this thread... Great story of a BUNCH of PRS Guitars! And there are some great green color guitars in the thread:
http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/showthread.html?13015-A-Chronicle-of-my-PRS-Adventure

I usually don't like GREEN but I bought an EV P22 and "Lemongrass" is a great color to me, check'm out! :D

Good Hunting!

Man what a read!

Its got me rethinking the whole neck option. Need to find some solid info from other people with sc245s and their experience on the different neck combinations, Mahogany with rw board, Mahogany with ebony, Rosewood both, Rosewood + Ebony and Both maple.

After some reading online, rosewood neck + ebony board might be a good combo for modern tones, and the ebony boards do look nice. Now to work out a colour that will go well with it.

After some reading online, rosewood neck + ebony board might be a good combo for modern tones, and the ebony boards do look nice. Now to work out a colour that will go well with it.

The RW necks are outstanding. That combination would probably work very well for you.

A couple of my favorites have been Abalone (on the original Modern Eagles and maybe some 408s) and blue steel, although I think that one's private stock only.

Here's some of mine:

Slate:

prs07.png

Black Slate:

prs11.png

Faded Blue Burst:

prs12.png

Jade:

prs13.png

Back