About the PRS S2 Standard...

I had an S2 Standard 22 and an S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow for a while. Both were incredible bangs for the buck...I recorded and played a lot with each. I now own just a P22 as it cover more ground for me, though I admit the S2s are pretty close to a Core in terms of tone, feel, and construction. When I have the budget, I'd definitely love to pickup another S2 Standard 22. I'd highly recommend the S2 series to anyone.

The bieatch has arrived:

IMG_20170426_160913.jpg

Took it out of the sack. Low enough action, Tuned it. Checked intonation, it's correct. Good enough for me.

I was expecting a little more "bling" on the dot inlays, they are really just white. Guess that's what the birds are for. But it's just nitpicking. Overal seems a sturdy guitar. :cool:

EDIT: how do you guys install the trem bar?! Mine keeps falling off.

Last edited:
Took it out of the sack. Low enough action, Tuned it. Checked intonation, it's correct. Good enough for me.

I was expecting a little more "bling" on the dot inlays, they are really just white. Guess that's what the birds are for. But it's just nitpicking. Overal seems a sturdy guitar. :cool:

Awesome!!

Yeah, the dots - and the birds - are just white. Nothing fancy or overly attractive...they are just 'there", lol. It's a VERY sturdy guitar that should be VERY pleasing....an AMAZING bang for the buck. It has it all where it matters most.

As far as the bar....look on the back side of the bridge near the trem hole. You will see a small allen screw. This is a set screw for the trem arm. use the tiny wrench that came with the guitar to turn the screw toward the trem arm to increase tension. The it won't fall out.

Really, the birds are also just white? Damn. Even my shitty strat copy has more bling on the inlays.

Yea,I found the screw, already installed it, let's see if this thing will keep in tune after tremolo molestation. ;)

The spring reverb distracts me a little bit, I'll need to put some paper towel around the springs to mute that.

The beveled part on the upper side of the body is very comfortable, way better than my Singlecut, is feels like a Stratocaster, +1 point for that.

Last edited:
Congrats on NGD!!! Cleopatra sounds good to me!

Yes, I agree, the plain birds and dots are a little... well... plain. Pearloid texture would be nice. But, the sound and feel make you forget pretty quickly :)

Yeah, on the S2 the inlays are just white - birds and all. The Core guitars have the awesome pearls and stuff. The S2 can't be everything that the top shelf guitars are. For some perspective - I just bought a NOS P22. I could have bought three S2 standards for what it cost. Was it worth the price difference? YES. Do I grab my S2 Standard and feel it is inferior? NO. The trems stay in tune the same and each provides me with pleasing tone.

I hope it performs to your needs. I know mine do - I like the S2 Standard so much that I am considering getting another in black so I can put a pearloid pickguard on it!!

The spring reverb? Never noticed it.....

The spring reverb? Never noticed it.....
Really? I noticed it in 2 strat copy's and one Ibanez (all with trem). It's no big deal, some musicians even like it.

Too bad I can't take the moon inlays out of my SE and stick it on the S2.

EDIT: What is NGD? And a NOS22? I'm not up to speed with PRS lingo.

Last edited:
Yeah, never noticed. Maybe it's because I have ALWAYS played tremolo equipped guitars - mostly Floyd Rose trems. It might just be "part of the sound" for me....

Try and strum a few chords with your Singlecut with stoptail, and then swap to a guitar with trem. I'll eat my hat if you don't notice it.

I noticed it a few years ago, I played exclusively my SE Singlecut with hardtail, then one day I picked up my brother's Ibanez with tremolo, and I heard that spring noise, "what is that"?!

It will probably start to drive you crazy and you will have to stuff toilet paper on all your tremolo guitars. You can thank me later. :eek:

Turn on subtitles:

Last edited:
Since I come from a background of loving Fender guitars, metallic finishes and plain dots are an easy sell for me. The S2 series isn't designed to be fancy in any way. They appeal to a utilitarian mindset much more than to an aesthetic one.

I embrace the ringing of trem springs as part of the sound. I always take the backplate off. Easy enough to silence them, though.

Should be a fun guitar. Enjoy!

EDIT: What is NGD? And a NOS22? I'm not up to speed with PRS lingo.

NGD is New Guitar Day

NOS is New Old Stock

P22 is what the Custom 22 Piezo was called in its former life - Piezo 22 (P22)

Try and strum a few chords with your Singlecut with stoptail, and then swap to a guitar with trem. I'll eat my hat if you don't notice it.

I noticed it a few years ago, I played exclusively my SE Singlecut with hardtail, then one day I picked up my brother's Ibanez with tremolo, and I heard that spring noise, "what is that"?!

It will probably start to drive you crazy and you will have to stuff toilet paper on all your tremolo guitars. You can thank me later. :eek:

Turn on subtitles:

Hahaha, 33 years of playing and it has been a non-issue, but we'll see. Going to be recording tonight. I'll be using my SC250 Artist on one track and a Custom 22 trem on the other. I'll keep my ears open.

The pots could offer more resistante to turning, sometimes I turn the volume a few levels down and don't even notice it. The pot coil (or whatever thats called)l can be a ***** to operate sometimes. But no big deal.

I wonder if I should have gone with the 24 fret model. Always a good idea to have second thoughts AFTER buying the product, am I right? :rolleyes:

Anybody tried those inlay stickers on the fretboards? How was your experience? I was thinking of getting some for this guitar, it's only 7 bucks...

091028birdoc-img_2048x2048.jpg

I bought an S2 custom 22 and a 24 at the same time after selling an expensive guitar. The 22 is still with me.The 24 was a great guitar, but I couldn`t set up the trem to raise the pitch enough for my tastes. The S2`s are just plain fine guitars to me. I`d be concerned that the stickers would deaden the tone slightly, but you can`t go wrong for the price, and they`re removable.

So I decided to buy a new PRS, I own a PRS SE I bought used a few years ago and it leaved me quite disapointed because it always had several problems (probably why the the owner sold it, lesson learned...).

So I decided to up a notch and buy a higher quality guitar in the hopes that I won't be faced with this kind of issues in the future. Plus I bought it new and this time I think I can hold PRS accountable if any issues arise because of lthe lifetime warranty they offer.

So I bite the bullet and bought a PRS S2 Standard 22 in Egyptian gold (with trem because the wraparound bridge on my SE proved to be a nightmare). Not my first color choice, I bet that's why they made a significant discount.

The guitar hasnt arrived yet, but I have a few thoughts that are nagging me and want to know a few things.

1. This model has a pickguard, and there is a large cavity underneath it to house electronics. As far as I can tell this was made to cut costs down. But what I wanted to know, does this affect the tone of the guitar? Is it noticeable comparing to a PRS S2 Custom (wich does not have pickgard and cavity) with the same pickups? Better? Worse? Just different?

2. Other thing I would like to know is about the pickups. I think they are #7 model. How are they? They are Korean made, I have no problem with that because my Korean SE sounds fine to me. But is it higher quality than stock SE'S pups? Are they made any different?

3. About the trem, can I go apesh*t and do crazy dive bombs with it? I saw tons of videoson youtube on guys doing crazy things with the trems on the Core models, and they just would not go out of tune! (very impressive). Is it possible with S2'S models? Probably not because the trem is also imported from Korea and is lower quality. What is your experience?

prs-s2-standard-22-egyptian-gold-340378.jpg
There are still CE24 Standards available. Actually some below MIP. Getting very close to the S2s with a body carve (albeit not as deep as core) and US pickups. Just sayin...

Regarding Korean tremolos, it's been my experience (n=2) that some stay in tune perfectly and some don't.
My SE CU22 stays, while the CE24 (with locking tuners) did not. I changed it out for a Mann-Made which stays perfectly even after dive bombs. The Mann-Made also enhanced the sound (IMO greatly).
Hence I call the Korean trems hit or miss.
The saddles also move around on it which the trem plate edges are supposed to prevent, but the tolerances do not seem tight enough on the Koreans.

The bieatch has arrived:

IMG_20170426_160913.jpg

Needs a gold pickguard. :)

Anybody tried those inlay stickers on the fretboards? How was your experience? I was thinking of getting some for this guitar, it's only 7 bucks...

091028birdoc-img_2048x2048.jpg
I won't be buying anything with dots anymore... trapezoids and blocks maybe, but no more dots.
Hopefully lots more birds though...

Back