About my 408

Photojazz

I looked for a place where I thought my post fit in, I couldn't decide where. So, I wrote this feature post. The guitar is definitely worthy of highlighting. From the Brazilian Rosewood headstock, to the obsidian insane flamed maple top. It's as close as can get to an artist package or Private stock guitar without actually owning one I guess...

Man, I got started with PRS on the lower end, I had a PRS Soapbar 14, and a PRS Soapbar older version I found used. I had fun for a few weeks with these, and then a SE245, and a SE Starla. I was seriously diving into PRS. Sometimes, things don't work out as planned. I did dabble in some other guitars as well, but finally with the help of my dealer Wyatt Theimart at Lane Music in Knoxville, TN, I was able to hone in on the one instrument that made me forget about all the others. Part of it was the Pattern wide neck, didn't agree with me. I needed a pattern narrow basically, or a standard, I'm not sure what it's called, all I know is it's right. I found it in this 2014 408 Obsidian Hybrid hardware beauty! I love this guitar. From the moment I plugged it in at home, it was an instant hit with me. I'm blown away by it's tonality. Rich on the bass mid-ranges, delicate and detailed on the high end. Grunged out when I want to humbuck! What a complete winner this guitar is. It plays amazing! I literally smile every time i play it. That's what owning a guitar should be like. It's the only PRS I kept, basically, it is my PRS family.

p696438249-6.jpg

p336218313-4.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful guitar you have there! I agree, as do many here, that the 408 is just a phenomenal guita capable of so many different tones.

Thanks guys. I got guitar gas bad as anybody here. I am sure another fine PRS is in my future somewhere, someday. Just not today. Today, I am a happy camper. :)

Oh, here is what I drive with it: I would have got the PRS cabinet, but it was already sold before I got the head. I opted for a 2 12" vertical oriented Marshall cabinet, as remaining fairly portable and movable, and not taking up so much floor space too. It will definitely rock. The older SE50 head from PRS. 50 watt tube.

p921775878-6.jpg

I didn't really bond with my 408 when I got it, so it's listed for sale. Funny thing though. After I listed it, I started playing with it a bit more. Of course, the workmanship and playability are pure PRS. But those 408 electronics are really growing on me. I'm really digging the rhythm tone with full bridge/ split neck. And it's the only non-Strat that pretty much pulls off a good Hendrix for me. While it will never replace my beloved Modern Eagles, I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. The versatility is incredible.

That is a color I need in my collection :)
Congrats on the great score !!!!
love me some 408

TY all! Well, I am sure another PRS will beckon someday. But I do have lots of other players from Gibson and Fender, so for now I am quite content. I have to be, I am poor, lol. This one will keep me smiling for a while I think! I have 6 electrics and 1 acoustic. Almost a good number, lol.

Thanks Spike. At first, I was like, I am not sure about this color. It took a little while in my hands to grow on me. Wyatt said he might could find another color, maybe one without hybrid hardware to save some money. But in the end, I said, I like this guitar just like it is. I wouldn't change a thing on it! Out of 2 Les Pauls, 2 American Strats, and an American tele, my daughter saw them all recently for the first time, she said, I think this one is my favorite, lol. She has good taste. :)

I like all my guitars for one reason or another, but in the end, this is the one you'd have to pry from my hands, warm or cold...

Back