A60E SE Arrived!

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
First of all, I'd like to extend my hand in apology to whoever had this item in their cart, but had not completed purchase. The buyer was likely awaiting for his funds to be available before he had completed purchase.

The guitar in transit (a PRS SE A60E) is a gorgeous example with tone quality reminiscent of a vintage Martin...balanced, well-rounded, somewhat more noticeable lower mid and bass-voiced than sparkling upper mid-voiced similar to that of a Taylor...

Zircote back and sides, solid Adirondack spruce top, beautifully figured purfling and rosette pearl inlay with birds. Pics upon arrival.

Yamaha AC3R (upgraded to TUSQ saddle and ebony/pearl dot bridge pins, my previous acoustic until the A60E became available) now on sale on eBay, now SOLD.

Last edited:
Sweet! Congrats! I did the same thing to someone last week that had a 594 Soapbar in their cart.

Thx. Just hoping now that my Yamaha AC3R will sell...cleaned her up prior to packaging and she looks clean as a whistle, only from the factory since March 2019...

I suspect this is just a tactic by Reverb to push perspective buyers over the edge. I never pay any mind to it.

It could be, but considering the price was a good one, Reverb may have been helping the seller unbeknownst to him, as a favor for the seller's extensively good feedback rating...

Just thought to add that the guitar was purchased from Dave's Guitar Shop on Reverb...

Here are several images of what the new arrival will look like from Dave's listing...

LY5JPxZ.jpg
IwKxUkl.jpg

IwyKjoq.jpg
Bsr0iYG.jpg

Just received notice from my Yamaha buyer that his guitar arrived safely this morning. (Thank you, FedEx, for delivering promptly and safely...)

So, the dark "saggy breasts look" near the upper neck joint doesn't bother you? (Me thinks the previous owner may have felt this was why the sold the guitar. I think it gives the guitar personality. :D )

Guitar arrives Tuesday...words can't describe my feelings...

Nope, not at all. I love unique!

I'd guess something likewise, and will likely woodshed Tuesday evening with the headphones and iTunes once the guitar arrives, then blissfully drift off to sleep dreaming of lullabies.

Guitar has arrived in-state and will be OFD tomorrow morning. Pics by Wednesday or Thursday evening.

Nice, I liked what I heard clips wise of these. Let us know how it sounds!

Took some time photo-editing my recent images...Will be spending Thursday evening putting the A60E SE through its paces...the guitar is in excellent condition (no cosmetic issues whatsoever) and from what the YT vids have foretold, am hoping to put a condenser mic in front of the guitar along with the onboard mic system and check out the audio response. May not be able to post a Soundcloud clip anytime soon, but will try to put something together over the winter when my schedule allows.

676TrUZ.jpg

tIdMD0B.jpg

YyIiYjf.jpg

Last edited:
Those are lungs; allows the wood to breathe.

Nice guitar!

A woodworker friend of corrected my mistaken interpretation of the wood structure that caused the unusual grain...the correct term is "cathedral grain structure." Although the woodworker did not know the origin of the term, it occurs when a wood surface is hewn at a slight angle off from flat-sawn. So small the deviation from horizontal is only a tiny difference.

Picture, if you will, a stack of 8.5 x 11 inch paper layered evenly on a flat surface. If a direct horizontal cut were to occur parallel to the paper surface, you'd have a flat piece of paper. However, if the blade cut slightly off-horizontal, what would occur is exactly how my SE A60E's grain appears...the rings of the wood would be comparable to the layered pieces of paper stacked horizontally. Of course, the wood rings are curved. The paper could conceivably be bent to form a cupped shape that would produce similar results in grain structure.

Got a chance to practice with the A60E Thursday late afternoon, and placed an Audix ADX51 condenser in front at the 12th fret, as well as plugging in the onboard mic. The sound was reminiscent of an older vintage Martin MC-60 I once owned...full, rich tones as well as being remarkably balanced, neither too much top end nor bottom. Lacked the top-end sparkle of my former Taylor 714ce, but was a noticeable improvement over my Yamaha AC3R, both plugged in and unplugged. Nice mellow tones, nothing harsh about this A60E...can't and won't say anything negative about this guitar because there's nothing negative about this guitar. Simple as that.

Currently has .011s (light) gauge strings on the guitar. Will try swapping these for extra light (.010s) once the guitar has seen some use and will report again with my findings. Thinking that extra lights will brighten up the tone slightly, but not sacrifice the richness or balance that is the benchmark of this guitar.

That looks really nice!

Nice, I liked what I heard clips wise of these. Let us know how it sounds!

Just thought to thank folks for the encouragement now that the A60E was delivered and checked out according to item description. The guitar itself is in immaculate condition for a used piece...electronics work perfectly and unplugged the guitar is evenly balanced...warm, mellow, rich bass and smooth top end. Plenty of midrange, voiced for slightly lower mids than a sparkly top end. What makes this guitar shine is the vintage tone...much like that of an older model Grand Auditorium Martin...very enjoyable response curve with plenty of presence and projection...

I purchased an A60E last year and It's been a great guitar! I'm amazed on how much volume (acoustically) that this guitar has along with its classy looks.

Congratulations! The ziricote wood lends an extraordinarily beautiful grain reverse side, and the tone is just...can't say enough good things about the A60E SE.

I've not tried recording the guitar yet, but will try to do so once my DAW skills are more refined and in better shape. It would be nice to hear what others have recorded with their A60E's, just for reference sake....

Back