A40E or T40E? Help please?

Cristian

Hi all,

Sorry for my broken English, it’s not my native language at all.

I’m trying to decide between an acoustic PRS SE A40E and a T40e. It’s very difficult for me because I can’t find even one to test myself. Had someone the opportunity to play both formats of the same model (a40E and T40E, or a50E and T50E for example)? I’m wondering if there is a significant difference in term of sound, in particular on the volume of the guitar or other sound characteristics. For the moment, the one I prefer is the A40E for his cutaway but if the T40E sounds significantly louder or have much more bass or resonance for example, I’ll consider getting the T40E instead of the A40E. But again, I’m talking about a big difference, not a small one.

My other concern is about the size. Shapes are obviously different but what about the size of the body? In particular its depth? I’m interested in the a40E also because of its smaller size than a dreadnought because I’m small sized myself. :) So are the depth of the a40E and T40E the same?

Thanks!

Reactions: Roy
I can’t answer specific to PRS models, but whenever I’ve played the same model cutaway vs non cutaway, I’ve always thought the non cutaway sounded a bit fuller. Is it worlds apart? Ehhh, maybe not, but I’ve always purchased the non cutaway. All that said, if you weren’t playing them back to back, it might not be that noticeable. I’d probably base it on whether the upper fret access would be used or not.

I’m still a beginner, only a few years into my guitar journey. I’ve had a Seagull mini jumbo (non-cutout) for 3 years and bought an A55e in June. So far I’m not playing above the 12th fret. I really like the feel of the A55e and it is my number 1 go to guitar but still find the Seagull a little more forgiving on fretting. I do not notice the size difference when playing. The A55e sounds better for finger picking melody playing, the Seagull sounds better for strumming, probably a little more bass. I’ve been trying to decide on getting a T60 or P20 next. So I can honestly say currently the cutout is not important to my current style of playing.

So the real questions are what are you currently playing and where do you want your next guitar to take you?

HTH

Hi Cristian.

I already own an Angelus and will be picking up my new T50 later today.

On the (now discontinued) Core and Private Stock range the Angelus has a 15.25 inch lower bout and the Tonare a 16 inch, with the Tonare having a little more depth than the Angelus. On the SE range both instruments have a 15.25 inch loeer bout and the same body depth (unless both I and the sales agent are horribly mistaken!LOL), with the only difference being that the SE Tonare (T40, in your case) doesn't have a cutaway. I couldn't get hold of any specs online to verify this, but I suspect I'm on the money here. I played both the A50 and the T50 and they are both VERY nice guitars, indeed. Beacuse the SE Angelus and Tonare are basically the same guitar, you don't have to worry about any differences between them other than the fact that the one has a cutaway. Either way, an A40 or a T40 will be something very very nice.

Back