A10E vs Angelus Standard

GeneralSu

So guitarcenter.com still has the SE Angelus Standard, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up over the A10E. It's clearly more expensive than the A10E, but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. What exactly are the differences between the two and which one would you recommend?

In general (each guitar of course will vary) a mahogany topped guitar will focus a little more on the lower midrange and midrange, and sound a little warmer/darker/woodier. The A10 has a mahogany top.

A guitar with a spruce top might sound a little more open, and brighter. Spruce is a lighter material, so the top seems to respond a little 'faster' to the vibrations coming to the bridge. Imagine a condenser mic with a very light, thin diaphragm material vs a dynamic mic with a denser or heavier material, and you have an idea of the way the different tops will respond to high frequency content, etc.

Just as with different mics suiting different purposes, each has its sonic territory, and each is equally cool in the right hands.

But so much depends on the individual instrument.

Both are capable of sounding great, pick your poison.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I also noticed that aesthetics wise, the tortoise shell A10E doesn't have that white binding, and it also looks amazing in general. I'm just wondering why the Standard costs more, is it just the tuner on the outside?

Thanks for the response! I also noticed that aesthetics wise, the tortoise shell A10E doesn't have that white binding, and it also looks amazing in general. I'm just wondering why the Standard costs more, is it just the tuner on the outside?

Guitars with spruce tops usually cost more for some reason. Even with Martin and Guild back in the day, the mahogany top was a less expensive option.

I played the A10e over the weekend and boy, it was a sweet guitar for a low cost model. As usual with the SE range, it feels far more expensive than it actually is.

The tone was actually quite mellow. Lots of clarity but a Len said you get those mids really shining through. Nice warmth and very easy to play. It's a bit narrower at the nut than I expected but it wasn't a big deal.

I wasn't in the market for an acoustic, I picked it up in the shop as they are blowing them out in the UK at the moment. I might have to grab one while they are cheap.

Yeah I guess my main concern is that the Standard seems to have a lot more control over the tone than the A10e. The A10e tortoise shell is beautiful, though...ugh, decisions.

I have a suspicion the A10E is going to be discontinued for next model year - they are blowing them out for just £349 in the UK. That's a lot of guitar for that price...

I have both in house. I much prefer the Standard. It just project sound better, I don't know how to describe it. But when I pick one up then the other, the Standard is just more alive.

SEacoustics.png

Last edited:
I am a classical guitarist and now crossing over to fingerstyle. I did try the Standard PRS SE and fell in love with it. I found it easier to play than most guitars that I've tried especially with the price range. Please check out my video below and I recorded it in one take. The guitar is pretty fun to play and projects well. thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavMYD3JNcU

I am a classical guitarist and now crossing over to fingerstyle. I did try the Standard PRS SE and fell in love with it. I found it easier to play than most guitars that I've tried especially with the price range. Please check out my video below and I recorded it in one take. The guitar is pretty fun to play and projects well. thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavMYD3JNcU

Yes sir! Nicely done!

Great demo JC, thanks!

I've owned some fairly impressive acoustics over the years and several years back went on a hunt for the best quality acoustic you could get, which led me to purchasing several Seagulls and about 6 Takamines before finding my McPherson. My daily player is now a Taylor 710ce.. I think the dreadnaught is the only shape in the Taylor I really like.

I just listened to every demo I could find on the A10ce.. what a great tone for an all hog that is sub $600! I may have to pick up one of these. I've had a few Mahogany acoustics in the past but they never could get a nice sounding treble tone.. if the videos I just watched are anywhere near the actual tone, than this is a great sounding guitar.

I'm somewhat shocked that there is not a solid back and sides available in this guitar. I'd gladly have paid the extra $200.

Does anyone know who is making the electronics for these?

Would love to hear more feedback from anyone that has played them. The standard seemed a tad brighter than I normally would get, but anything is fixable with an LR Baggs DI :D

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back